Trevisan's Renaissance

moderndayruth

Its been mentioned here, but i believe it deserves a thread of its own!
'Tis this dahling : click me.
I was searching for something else, bumped into the thread where Le Fanu mentions it and spent best part of the day yesterday and a nice sum of money to hunt it down in Moscow - i must say i don't regret doing so!
What an amazing little deck!
It looks like a finest collection of water-color impressionists paintings!
Its very freely based on RWS - that is, some images can be related, but they are assigned different card numbers!
Either the artist new nothing of the RWS numeration (which i doubt) or its like 'tongue in cheek' to the traditional meanings!
(I doubt he is starting a new school of thought in Tarot, after having done researches for ages. ;) )
For example, 5oS and 7oS are switched, 3oP depicts a juggler , juggling the three coins in the air (as in RWS 2oP)

2oW is two men fighting, like in RWS 50W, while Trevisan's 5oW is much more like its RWS 4oW counterpart.
(7oW is similar to traditional depiction for example.)
Some depictions are 'revolutionary' - 4oP is much more in sync with TdM tradition and its stability when read related to the Emperor; a couple is walking near the lake, the Coins itself depict faces like in Thoth or in Minchiate.
The Magician is my favorite so far - it depicts a gorgeous medieval alchemist , conducting his experiments at the terrace, under the stars.
The High Priestess holds a book with a Yin-Yang symbol on it.
The Pope is pointing at the Sun, seems far more like a wise man, than a member of clergy.
(5oP has more to do with the Pope, depicting a beautiful castle in a valley, that could be a monastery.)

The Lovers follow TdM style.
The Hermit is depicted like a Biblical prophet.
The Wheel is amazing - a guy, with a blindfold is riding the wheel, Sphinx above him, a fox running beside him.
Strength is XI.
The Devil is very sexy, very human too. :p
These are just some side notes - the artwork is breathtaking and all in all its an outstanding and very special deck!
(This comes from a person who gave away Williams' Renaissance. ;))
Would love to hear from other who have it!

ETA: i should have added that the borders are quite big , but somehow it doesn't bother the eye because the coloring is 'soft'.
What does bother me is some kind of acid smell that comes out of it, hope it will go away soon!

Le Fanu

I like this deck a lot. I like the fact that it is a Renaissance deck which doesn't imitate Renaissance Art. I just traded my Fabbri/Orbis edition but still have the original LoS one and the mini.

The palette is very soothing, a purply pallid watercolour wash. And you can tell that Trevisan is a real master of his medium. The shading done with watercolours (not easy!) is expertly done. I remember when I was going to buy it and I couldn't find a thread on it, which is odd as it was one of LoS's early decks. Plus hardly anyone mentions it (always a reason to love a deck).

Isn't the artist the father of the creater of the Crystal Tarot (another beauty)?

The deck is very readable, in a liberating way, unshackled to the RWS. Just enough of the RWs to maintain the structure but then you're mostly off on your own. Glad you found one MDR. Moscow could be good for tarot ;)

moderndayruth

Le Fanu said:
I like this deck a lot. I like the fact that it is a Renaissance deck which doesn't imitate Renaissance Art.
Yes, exactly!
Le Fanu said:
The palette is very soothing, a purply pallid watercolour wash. And you can tell that Trevisan is a real master of his medium. The shading done with watercolours (not easy!) is expertly done
Love your description! :thumbsup:

Le Fanu said:
Plus hardly anyone mentions it (always a reason to love a deck).
Haha! True! But i don't get howcome this deck didn't gain far wider popularity?! Its LS, it has beautiful artwork, its very readable - what else you'd want from a deck?! :confused:

Le Fanu said:
Isn't the artist the father of the creater of the Crystal Tarot (another beauty)?
Ohh, i want that one too!!! :D
(Don't know.)

Le Fanu said:
The deck is very readable, in a liberating way, unshackled to the RWS. Just enough of the RWs to maintain the structure but then you're mostly off on your own. Glad you found one MDR. Moscow could be good for tarot ;)

Thank you :heart:
Yes it is good for Tarot actually!!! (Not so much for my budget, but 'tis another topic! :D)

Freddie

Great deck, I really like this one!!!

Freddie

moderndayruth

Freddie said:
Great deck, I really like this one!!!

Yes!!! Three of us so far! :D Cerulean wrote the AT review on the deck, hope she joins the thread, and i think Gregory has it too... other than that, not sure. :(

Parzival

Trevrizent's Renaissance

This is an outstanding deck, and not just an art deck ; the wide range of expressions on faces brings the deck (and all humanity) to life. It seems to be Waite-Smith based, with some variations on the symbolism. I wonder about the bearded man/scholar on the back-- who is he?

moderndayruth

Frank Hall said:
This is an outstanding deck, and not just an art deck ; the wide range of expressions on faces brings the deck (and all humanity) to life.
I couldn't agree more with you! :D
Frank Hall said:
It seems to be Waite-Smith based, with some variations on the symbolism. I wonder about the bearded man/scholar on the back-- who is he?
Thanks for bringing it up, i'd like to know that too!

gregory

Yes I have it (and the Crystal.) Quite a few here have, I think.

moderndayruth

gregory said:
Yes I have it (and the Crystal.)
How do you like them?

gregory said:
Quite a few here have, I think.
Really?

(Said in a faked Russian accent. ) :* :p

gregory

I like the Crystal better, to be honest. And the only reason I know others have the Renaissance is that it has been discussed before - though I forget when.

Of course :)