The Alaire Deck

Featherflight

I love these and even with me being a novice, I could pick out which cards they are. That means, for me, ease of use and good readability. Your style is wonderful! Enjoy creating!

Chrystella

I really like it. There are two features that stand out to me that I love. The first is how the dog is pointing in the Fool card. The other is the expression on the Hierophant. Sometimes he looks very sober, almost cold, and yours has a warm expression that I like. And your style is lovely.

jalaire

Thank you so much for all the feedback! I'm hoping to have a few more sketches up by the end of the day.

Others may differ on this point but I feel like the quality of the Tarot goes up an order of magnitude the more one leans towards paint rather than colored pencil.

I definitely tend to agree with you on that point. My illustrations usually consist of about 90% paint and 10% high pigment colored pencil. I just use the colored pencil to get some of the tight shading and details in because I can control it better and it gives a nice blended texture. I'm really striving to put out the highest quality work that I'm personally capable of for this. :)

Once I've finished the final sketches for the majors I plan on coloring one or two of them to let you guys see get a better idea what the final cards will look like.

Shade

I'm totally onboard.

jalaire

Here are a few more sketches:

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 207

rylla

I would love to know if you feel like I'm hitting the mark on the overall feeling for each card.

Yes, you are! From my point of view your art style goes very well with tarot. Your sketches are beautiful and expressive, easy to recognize which card is which and the images are not static but flowing, which is great! (and important for a tarot deck).

WONDERFUL job, good luck with it!

Padma

Love the organic curves and sense of movement :)

jalaire

Thank you all for the great feedback so far!

Here is a colored test for the high priestess. I've had to do a couple of different tests since my original plan didn't work out so well (the colored pencil didn't want to blend over the paint like I'd hoped it would). So this is a totally paint version and I'm pretty happy with it. I would love to hear what you all think of it! Thanks :)

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 222

rwcarter

LOVE your color sense!

garmonbozia

I'm officially excited about this deck.