Triangular decks?

PlatinumDove

Has anyone seen or heard of a triagular Tarot deck?

Cerulean

Only found single triangle cards, no decks and not tarot

http://www.bergsma.com/newproducts.asp

Beautiful concept though....if one was looking to do an Egyptian pyramid deck, that would work with a triangle card...

Cerulean

HudsonGray

They'd be impossible to shuffle though. And I'd worry about the points being damaged.

It'd be possible to print up a deck like this since I've seen triangular cards used for some Dungeons & Dragons types of games. I'd want something durable and large enough to see the picture well (since you automatically loose 1/2 the image with the angles on the card). Maybe 4" at the base x 4" tall?

silver_rain

I've never heard of any triangular decks, but I don't think they'd be very usable.. maybe just for a collection :) I don't even use my round deck, let alone a triangular one!

HudsonGray

Someone was talking a little while ago about designing a hexagonal deck, where the cards would fit together similarly, you'd be able to do layouts touching each other that would work into designs (like dominoes?). A metallic tarot deck with octagon shape was used by the Reverend Mother in one of the Dune movies on cable.

rota

HudsonGray said:
Someone was talking a little while ago about designing a hexagonal deck...

++++++++

That was Ravenswing's 'Gematric Tarot'. She was working with a partner on it for awhile. I wonder what's going on with that?

++++++++

Adam McLean

There is a Transitional Tarot in a triangular form. It is an unpublished deck by Nora Scholin. See Kapplan Vol 4, page 195.

PlatinumDove

Thanks for the info Adam!

Adam McLean

There is a nice triangular tarot from Chile called the Tarot de Autolectura by Gloria Landaeta, published by Ibetek S.A. in Santiago.

There are 78 cards, approximately 6 inches on each side.
The first 22 cards correspond to the major arcana (though a few of the names have been changed). The symbolism draws heavily on Egyptian motifs. Cards 23 through 78 do not correspond directly with the minor arcana. Each have an individual title and do not appear to be divided in suits. The symbolism of these 'minor arcana' seems to be linked to three planes - the astral plane, the material plane, and the esoteric plane.

I was very lucky to get a copy of these cards through the generosity of a Chilean member of the Aeclectic forum.

Alta

rota said:
That was Ravenswing's 'Gematric Tarot'. She was working with a partner on it for awhile. I wonder what's going on with that?
That was being done with Laurel, who had to bail because of poor health. Ravenswing posted a while ago (I could never find it now) that he had given up on the project.