Recommend deck for a teenager

Nina*

Let us know which one you end up with... :) :)

xxx
Nina

Genna

How about "Lover´s Path Tarot"?I also would consider "Fey Tarot" as mentioned above or even a non-tarot deck like "Faeries´Oracle" by Brian Froud.I love Zerner-Farber too.

Umbrae

Medieval Scapini. It’s got the medieval flair, fashion – excellent for boys and girls of all ages, is deep, yet light and playful. Need a book to go with it? Heck, Art and Arcana, Commentary on The Medieval Scapini Tarot by Ronald Decker is just the ticket. By it not being a ‘children’s deck’ you show the young recipient a serious respect for their ability (that they then will attempt to live up to).

Since ‘giving’ a tarot is an initiation (Hmmmm…reminds me of the sequencing of the Major Arcana…Hmmmmm) – give the materials OF initiation…

Just my opinion…

Centaur

I would also recommend the Hanson-Roberts. One of my first decks. And I still love it, even more so for being a little bashed and worn. I think it must be the most shuffled deck in my collection!

Kaylee Marie

Umbrae reminds me... I'm planning to give my cousin a book with the deck. I had planned on simply purusing the recommended books for beginners here on AT as well as my own bookshelf and bookstore, but if anyone has a suggestion for an easy-read book for youngins' that don't like reading or studying, I'm all ears. :)

(She's an excellent writer when she has to do it for schoolwork and is attracted to the symbolism in tarot, but adamently hates reading. Go figure... I think she just doesn't want to look too bookish and nerdy)

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
Kaylee Marie

Annabelle

For a book suggestion, I'd have to recommend Rachel Pollack's The Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot. It has lots of full color pictures, it is a quick read and the card explanations/definitions are excellent. It's also widely available and fairly inexpensive.

Note: Edited to correct the wording of the title

Eco74

This is a completely diffrent kind of suggestion, but as far as the book is concerned I really think the Revelations Tarot set (deck and book) might be something to consider.

The cards are explained in a very straightforward and direct manner, and the most important bits of the symbology are also included.
Granted, it has been a while since I was new to tarot so I may have lost a little of my 'very beginner-stance' as far as reading material goes. However, this is a set I'd recommend to pretty much anyone who wanted an understandable guide.

You might want to check the artwork on the deck though to see if its girly enough. It might well not be, but it is very fluent and the colors are lovely even though it has a very diffrent style from the Fey or the Hanson-Roberts.

The Hanson-Roberts actually comes with a book aswell if you get the set.
A very handy pocket-size so it's easy to "camoflage" if she doesn't want to show it off, and takes up very little space. It has a one-page description of each card, which is also depicted on the left side, making it easy to just find the card you want to look up, and no leafing back and forth is needed. Very easy overview and a brief description of the main components of the images.

I have no idea what the Fey companion book is like though.

Phantom Goddess

For Books.....

I recommend Tarot: Plain and Simple. It's easy to read and wonderful descriptions of the cards.

lunakasha

Another book recommendation (with lots of color pics, to give her an idea of what might appeal to her): Secrets of Tarot by Annie Lionnet. GREAT little book....along with Pollack's Complete Illustrated Guide and Joan Bunning's Learning the Tarot.

:) Luna

wizzle

Fey and other books

Both the Fey and Bohemian Cats kits come with excellent books. I'm enough on the beginner side to think they would be perfect for a beginner. The BBC follows RWS more closely than do the Fey.

The Fey book goes into the history of tarot a bit and also of divination. It has the added advantage for a "non reader" of starting the discussion of the majors with a short overview type list. Then, if there is more interest, each card has an in-depth discussion.

The Gilded is also an excellent deck for that age group, very romantic and great graphics. It too comes with a book in the kit. The book is not too laborious and sticks to the RWS meanings more than the Fey.

With so many deck and book kits, I think that's the way to go these days. Packaging for the three decks I mentioned is excellent. I think a big, separate book would be viewed too much like "homework."