Hey! Deck publishers!

tarotbear

I can't help but notice ~!

AT has 28,000+ members, but only about 2,100 'active' members.

What I can't help but notice Dear Friends of AT, is that everyone here is telling us exactly WHY NOT to do something. Everyone posting so far has all posted a variation of 'We HAVE to do this!' and yet all the responses say 'But It's Not Going To Ever Work, So Why Bother Doing It Anyway.' Has AT become it's own self-fulfilling prophecy of doom?

For every person who posts a request there are five people who say that the request is the exact opposite of what THEY would want...and they would never buy a deck that fills that request.

So, some of you may think that the 2,100 of you out there are some sort of 'Community' that wants to storm the bastille (or USGS, as it were) and make the Tarot World a better place, but as soon as someone comes up with a concrete idea about what & how to do it, the nay-sayers descend faster than flies on s**t.

If you want to call yourselves a community - act like one.

greatdane

LOL I hear you all! I get what everyone is saying

OK, YES, I ABSOLUTELY agree (and knew this when I posted the thread) not EVERYONE will feel the same about every deck, every issue like cardstock, but after reading the things I've grown weary of thread, there does seem to be a consensus, for the MOST part, with some issues. Like borders can be fine but if the image is SMALL and a deck becomes oversized just to accommodate a BIG border so it's harder to shuffle AND the image still isn't big enough to see, well, I would like to know who thinks that's a big plus. I don't think it's borders in and of themselves. What I most wanted to get across is everyone has a voice and if you keep seeing things in decks you don't care for, why not speak up? Just like in politics, there will not be a 100% consensus, but the majority being HEARD can make a difference. If a publisher hears from more people who DON'T like something, it may make a consider that doing the next deck. If no one had said anything re the new Lovers card in the latest Bohemian Gothic, we would have had one card with one woman in modern dress (and I'm sure some liked that card, but a lot didn't). Publishers need input from readers and I at least feel better letting them know my feelings about something I feel strongly about and that could well make the difference if I buy a deck or not.

gregory

I can't help but notice ~!

AT has 28,000+ members, but only about 2,100 'active' members.

What I can't help but notice Dear Friends of AT, is that everyone here is telling us exactly WHY NOT to do something. Everyone posting so far has all posted a variation of 'We HAVE to do this!' and yet all the responses say 'But It's Not Going To Ever Work, So Why Bother Doing It Anyway.' Has AT become it's own self-fulfilling prophecy of doom?

For every person who posts a request there are five people who say that the request is the exact opposite of what THEY would want...and they would never buy a deck that fills that request.

So, some of you may think that the 2,100 of you out there are some sort of 'Community' that wants to storm the bastille (or USGS, as it were) and make the Tarot World a better place, but as soon as someone comes up with a concrete idea about what & how to do it, the nay-sayers descend faster than flies on s**t.

If you want to call yourselves a community - act like one.
OK - so what do we want ????

Um...

Well I know I want a Serio TdM with illustrated pips.

And I know I and MANY others have tried - I even tried IN PERSON in their OFFICE !

Ain't gonna happen. And those of us here who remember the Serio thread will also remember that I barely got out of it with my life. MANY here objected PROFOUNDLY. When we draw attention to something and publishers look - they do also see the naysayers.

What do enough of us want that it would be any kind of a community ask ? I know there is someone here who directs their publisher to our threads about them. I know gamecrafter have shown up and interacted - and NOT actually managed to change some of the things people hate worst - yet anyway.

Some of us have tried. What do YOU want, TB ? We might all agree.

Or not...

greatdane

Question please

If the idea is to see if more ATers like one thing or another re decks, isn't that how polls here work? Couldn't ATers take a few issues like cardstock, large borders, or any few issues that seem to come up a lot ( like changing suits so they aren't readily recognized like wands to squirrels or something) and do a poll? And then direct publishers to the poll? Even if publishers were just directed to certain threads, just seems something is better than nothing. And if nothing got done, at least we tried. What does it hurt to try to get their attention in some way? Tarotbear, I would love your thoughts with what could be the best way to go about this.

Debra

It looks like US Games reprinted the Whimsical after our Sar wrote and asked them to.

I think questions about packaging are different than ideas about artwork. The fact that we don't like big bulky packages doesn't stop us from buying the decks--we just deal with it. If retailers hesitate to stock decks because the packaging creates marketing or logistical difficulties (for example small boxes are more easily shoplifted)--it makes sense for publishers to heed their concerns.

gregory

I know. But if 250 of us write to one publisher all asking for different things, I don't see that achieving a huge lot. If 250 of us agree on something we want, and THEN all do that, asking for the same thing - that MIGHT....

greatdane

I completely agree

A bunch of us all asking for different things wouldn't help at all, Gregory. So agree with that. So why not a thread re one issue or a poll? Then just directing their attention to a poll (which seems easier than asking them to read threads, but I would think they would take the time to at least have someone go over certain threads re decks, I really do believe some publishers come in here and pay attention. Maybe that's why I TEND to like US Games decks more than some of the other big publishers as far as cardstock and borders).

tarotbear

I know. But if 250 of us write to one publisher all asking for different things, I don't see that achieving a huge lot. If 250 of us agree on something we want, and THEN all do that, asking for the same thing - that MIGHT....

Yes- but that is CONSTRUCTIVE thought. That is what was discussed a page or so back ... what things did MOST ATers agree on, then everyone write to the publisher about that One concern at approximately the same time.

But if 250 separate people wrote 250 letters about 250 separate topics and some were pure gold and some were pure Martian ... of course no publisher would take heed! It would be like asking a room of pre-schoolers to write the Constitution.....

gregory

Yes- but that is CONSTRUCTIVE thought. That is what was discussed a page or so back ... what things did MOST ATers agree on, then everyone write to the publisher about that One concern at approximately the same time.

But if 250 separate people wrote 250 letters about 250 separate topics and some were pure gold and some were pure Martian ... of course no publisher would take heed! It would be like asking a room of pre-schoolers to write the Constitution.....
Exactly. But as Myrrha said - what exactly do any significant number of us agree on - other than those **** Llewellyn boxes ? Which they have not listened to, even when our threads were taken to a meeting there. More than once.

LoS do listen - witness the number of their decks with no languages of any kind on them. But even so - people complain that they don't do EXACTY what they - as individuals - want - and some are still complaining about multilingual titles - even though they so often don't do them any more - post it like a robot every time the words Lo Scarabeo appear, without even looking.

That kind of thing also happens... we need a concerted project.