Celtic and Shaman Magick

TemperanceAngel

I am on a roll today in this forum ;)
Any book recommendations on Celtic Magick or Shaman Magick or Celtic Shaman Magick happily received :D:D:D

For any interested parties, I met an amazing woman in Edinburgh who was a Celtic Shaman, her family have all been for many many generations. Fascinating person and 'practiced' since childhood.

Her site: www.celticshamanism.com

XTAX

Ironwing

You might try SINGING THE SOUL BACK HOME by Caitlin Matthews (author of the CELTIC WISDOM TAROT). This is a substantial "how-to" book for people interested in modern shamanism as a solitary spiritual practice. A good introduction for beginners and offers many suggestions and insights if you are more experienced. Although not advertised as Celtic, the book does have that slant, and many of the advanced practices and examples are oriented towards those with Celtic ancestry.

My own shamanic path is quite different, and there are things in this book that I can't relate to, but I like it because it emphasizes the ongoing solitary work which is essential if you are working with other people as a healer.

Lorena/Ironwing

TemperanceAngel

Thanks Lorena/Ironwing for your help :) XTAX
Edited to add that on Amazon there are two titles, both with Singing the Soul Back Home. One also has to its title: Shamanism in Daily Life and the other, Shamanic Wisdom For Every Day.
Are these both the same books?

Ironwing

The second title is the one I have. It's the second (revised) edition.

Lorena

Shade

Anything by R.J Stewart: Earth Light, Power Within the Land, and Underworld Initiation.

Dexter

Hi TA;

I have The Celtic Wheel of Life, A Path to Health, Happiness and Fulfilment by Andy Baggott and I love it.

TemperanceAngel

Here I was thinking I purchased the book that someone had recommended, but I hadn't...never mind....

By Oak, Ash, and Thorn-Modern Celtic Shamanism By D.J.Conway, BRILLIANT, easy to read and great meditations. Relly good too, for those interested but not wishing to participate with others...a soul (sole) journey....

XTAX

hedgecub

(Advance apologies to TA :( I hope I'm not being too harsh here; I thought I ought to give my opinion just in case.)

I'm more than a little skeptical of D.J. Conway. She's gotten herself quite a bad rep among pagans, especially considering that her books Celtic Magic and Norse Magic (both published by Llewellyn) are nearly identical. Apparently, comparing them side-by-side, page-by-page makes it abundantly clear how much of it was copy, paste, change a few words, publish.

One review of her works in general is here.

A review of her book Celtic Magic is here.

TemperanceAngel

Sounds a bit like Doreen Virtue...

Anyways Norse and Celtic Magick are very linked for obvious geographical reasons and movements of people....

When you study Shamanism from many different countries you start to see the common theme. Now I am not saying you are wrong, but I have studied a little Shamanism at Edinburgh University and have seen the links among different cultures, same thing but different language.

It's a Universal Language, and the book is very simple. Something that I need at the moment due to study. Later in my break I can look into it more.

Thanks hedgecub! XTAX