History of the High Priestess

wandking

La Papesse

Early images of the High Priestess portray a female Pope. Let's not lose sight of the early name for this card, THE POPESS. Are any of these Biblical Marys somehow more valid in history than Pope Joan? Plenty of historians even question the validity of Christ. Indeed, Pope Joan is probably a mythical figure but several other cards in the Major Arcana appear to be based on mythology. Older versions of Strength show Hercules overcoming a lion and many believe The Hanged Man derives from Oden.

Diana

wandking: If one day it could be proved that Mary Magdalene was the Apostle of the Apostles... then she would be the first Pope. But in French, they wouldn't call a woman a Pape, but a Papesse...

I just don't see why the conceivers of the Tarot would put a Pope Joan as the SECOND card of the Tarot of Marseilles. What sense would that make?

le pendu

Diana said:
I just don't see why the conceivers of the Tarot would put a Pope Joan as the SECOND card of the Tarot of Marseilles. What sense would that make?

Good Question! And what sense would Mary Magdalene, Sister Manfreda, or the Whore of Babylon make?

How would people have understood this card?

I lean towards the "Personification of the Church", but just barely. I do think the one image Ross provided on his page from "De Plurimis Claris Sceletisque Mulieribus" is stunningly close to the High Priestess. Ross, do you know more info about where the image came from... is it an illustration in a book? If so, what subject is the book?

The Popess certainly *is* a card of mystery!

robert

wandking

That is a good point Diana... One that will take me a while to ponder. There is little evidence that the card derives from Pope Joan but I find no evidence at this time that supports ties to any Biblical Mary. In reviewing the postings on this board I noticed an interest in the history of the Church in regard to females holding actual religious rank. Unlike Mary, the High Priestess and Pope Joan, there is some documentation of how women were ostracized from Church heirarchy. Many believe Mary Magdalene started a Church that promoted Gnostic style sexual equality in religious practices. By following that theory I uncovered the following information.

Gnosticism became a catchall terminology of Christian fundamentalists to demonize other belief systems and combine them into a perceived threat to rally support of moderate Christians. Gnosis, derived from Greek, means knowledge but implies wisdom restricted to a select group. Many Gnostic orders in the first and second centuries sought a reunification with the Divine through distinctly Christian paths but specifics on Gnostic cults remain hidden. Gnosticism and elements of the Kabbalah suggest spiritual dualism. Not only Kabalists but also non-Kabalistic Judaism and other beliefs, which did not strictly comply with fundamentalist Christian doctrine, suffered persecution from 325 CE until the end of Albigensian Inquisition in 1321 CE. Before 325, Gnostic, Christian and Jew banded together. All had rights in Rome to gain respect as entertainers in the Coliseum, in what often became a final act that provided a balanced diet for lions.

Church strategy, which features a tactic of lumping rivals together and then portraying them as bringing Divine Wrath upon the world, depicted religious dissention as a horrific threat. Conversely, in the first and second centuries before the Council of Nicea, dissension in beliefs posed little threat to Christianity. After his vision and subsequent spiritual breakthrough, Constantine, the first Holy Roman Emperor ended Christian persecution but doctrines endorsed by his Council at Nicea set in motion long-term persecution of many other religions, including those that maintained slightly dissimilar Christian beliefs. An acclaimed Christian historian Hermias Sozomen describes resolution of Arian Heresy, addressed by the Council. “The emperor punished Arius with exile, denouncing him and his adherents as ungodly, and commanding that their books should be destroyed.” According to Sozomen, in his text Ecclesiastical History, Arian doctrine offers that there was a period when Christ “existed not; that, as possessing free will, He was capable of vice and virtue.” Destroying records for this seemingly moderate form of heresy suggests that all Christian records depicting God as anything other than a father figure added fuel to Nicene-like book bonfires. Sozomen, like other historians, wrote approved history. Specific description of even a main heresy addressed by the Council invited the wrath of book burners, which Sozomen survived. The Emperor and bishops at Nicea, to some degree, controlled the historic record, which started centuries of control by the Church they created.

Sozomen mentions no distinctly Gnostic Christian sect in attendance at Nicea but Arius purportedly drew an inordinately large female following, which suggests a potential conclusion. Sources state Arius taught dogma of Paul of Samosata, patriarch of Antioch from 260 until excommunication in 270 CE and advanced Paulianist Doctrine. In supporting heretic principals detailed in the Sozomen list of Council rulings, Paul earned a position in history. “Canon XIX. “With regard to Paulianists who take refuge in the Catholic Church, it has been decided that they definitely need to be [re]baptized. If, however, some of them have previously functioned as priests, if they seem to be immaculate and irreprehensible, they need to be baptized and ordained by a bishop of the Catholic Church. In this way, one must also deal with deaconesses or with anyone in an ecclesiastical office. With regard to the deaconesses who hold this position we remind [church leaders] that they possess no ordination but are to be reckoned among the laity in every respect.” It becomes clear that this statement implies that female deaconesses previously held ecclesiastical offices in Christian Churches, specifically churches associated with Paul of Samosata. Like Arian practices, the Council condemned Paulianist Doctrine. Another important historian outlined actions of Paul of Samosata. The ecclesiastical historian Eusebius, a bishop from Palestine, often referred to as the father of church history, reports in Historia Ecclesiastica, Volume VII. Chapter 30, that Paul consorted with “two sisters of ripe age and fair to look upon.” It goes on to say that, he allowed presbyters or deacons to contract platonic unions with Christian women. No actual lapses of chastity are alleged, and it supposedly “only raised suspicions among the pagans.”

Pocono Platypus

Theresa of Avila

For me La Papesse is Theresa of Avila

Grigori

Check out the Visconti family

There was some interesting stuff in a tarot book I read (I think it was in 78 degrees of wisdom) about a christian sect that elected a female pope (to be the first of many female popes).

Of course the orthodox church quickly killed her, but the link to the tarot is she was an ancestor of the Visconti family. Therefore her appearance in the early Visconti decks was because she was a family legend, rather than any relation to Pope Joan, or earlier goddess legends.

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Robert,

le pendu said:
Good Question! And what sense would Mary Magdalene, Sister Manfreda, or the Whore of Babylon make?

How would people have understood this card?

I believe they would have thought of her as the Church personified. This is an impression admittedly based on iconography between c.1550-1872 (and presumably beyond), but I think that her persistence during this time, even after Cranach's "Whore of Babylon" and the debunking of Pope Joan, shows that this personification was deeply entrenched and well accepted part of Church symbolism, of which we would find earlier examples in the 15th century, if we looked more diligently.

Comparing the Tarot Papesse to the "papesse" personifications of the Church, on the one hand, and the images of Pope Joan (which are the only Papesse images I have found which pre-date the tarot) on the other, shows clearly that the Tarot Papesse is a relative of the former category, not the latter. So I am confident that the Tarot Papesse is thus an early witness to the iconographical personification of the Church as a female figure wearing a triple tiara and bearing a cross, and sometimes a book.

I lean towards the "Personification of the Church", but just barely. I do think the one image Ross provided on his page from "De Plurimis Claris Sceletisque Mulieribus" is stunningly close to the High Priestess. Ross, do you know more info about where the image came from... is it an illustration in a book? If so, what subject is the book?

The Popess certainly *is* a card of mystery!

robert

The credit for this one appears due to Andrea Vitali or an associate, who published it in 1987 in "I tarocchi: gioco e magia alle corte degli Estensi". This book was the catalogue and essays that accompanied an exhibition held in Ferrara from September 1987 to January 1988.

The book "Many famous and infamous women" was published in Ferrara in 1497. It seems to have been a continuation into modern times of Boccaccio's "De Mulieribus Claris" (1370), which also included a chapter on Pope Joan. I say "seems to" because I've only read descriptions of it, and haven't seen a copy myself. There is a picture of the engraving which accompanied an earlier printed edition of Boccaccio's Pope Joan in my essay.
It looks nothing like Jacopo da Bergamo's 1497 Pope Joan.

I believe that the similarity of Bergamensis' Pope Joan to the Tarot Papesse, and the book having been printed, and the engravings no doubt carved, in Ferrara, suggests that the 1497 image is influenced by the tarot which was then known in the city.

Sophie

Ross G Caldwell said:
I believe they would have thought of her as the Church personified. This is an impression admittedly based on iconography between c.1550-1872 (and presumably beyond), but I think that her persistence during this time, even after Cranach's "Whore of Babylon" and the debunking of Pope Joan, shows that this personification was deeply entrenched and well accepted part of Church symbolism, of which we would find earlier examples in the 15th century, if we looked more diligently.

I'm interested to see how far back we can find the Church personified in that fashion. Presumably the image did not appear ex nihilo in the early 15th century? I've not made a study of that - how far does the idea of "Mother Church" go back? And would there have been iconographic representations of her in some form or another that predates images of a female pope?

How, too, would these images have been reflections of famous Churchwomen (before the 15th century, I mean). The 14th-15th centuries, too, was a time of many prophetic mystics - most of them women. In fact, it seems tohave become a feamle speciality. How might that have influencd the development of a female pope image?

Might not the image have mutated in meaning - into the Church personified? The book you refer us to shows a female pope with a book on her lap - dated to the late 17th century, which is far later than the appearance of the first known tarot cards. The Church did, on occasion, reappropriate for itself images that might even be heretical (a very clever thing to do, btw). When I first saw that card, I thought it referred to heretical or marginal beliefs (marginal but still within the Church, and as you know from the history of the Beguines, the border between the two could be very thin).

I have only questions - no answers! But I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

roppo

Dame Doctryne

John Lydgate depicted in his "Assembly of Gods"(1415) the personified Doctrine as "Crowned she was lyke an Emperesse / With iii crownes standyng on her hede on hy"(stanza 214). She sits in a house of which four walls are full of symbolic pictures. She is the exponent of the pictures, which show considerable similarity to the early tarot cards.

jmd

During the late middle ages, the Church and Synagogue were each often depicted together, the latter blindfolded with a broken spear (or arrow), the former with cross, crown and chalice.

The attached version, larger than life-size (which I may have posted in the thread on La Papesse in the Marseille section) comes from the Strasbourg Cathedral, circa 1220.

At this stage, the allegory of the Church is distinct from the representation of the Pope, by may well have evolved to Papess, designating the the Church is the one and only Apostolic and Catholic Church...

Attachments

• church (Strasbourg).jpg
    church (Strasbourg).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 304