7 of swords and risks

Reverie

Can the 7 of swords indicate taking small risks? Or is it more feeling that way?

nisaba

It came up for me in a reading at the outset of a relationship. the person had told me she had some dishonest and violent naighbours, and as soon as the card came up, I felt a gut-reaction on the level of honesty. Then I remembered what she'd said, and made a value-judgement that it was about what surrounded her at the mloment, not about what she would be towards me. I was wrong.

It's a huge warning about dishonesty.

Reverie

nisaba said:
It came up for me in a reading at the outset of a relationship. the person had told me she had some dishonest and violent naighbours, and as soon as the card came up, I felt a gut-reaction on the level of honesty. Then I remembered what she'd said, and made a value-judgement that it was about what surrounded her at the mloment, not about what she would be towards me. I was wrong.

Really? Wow. So the violence was actually happening in her life?
Does the 7 of swords indicate a very harmful kind of dishonesty?
I just sort of always saw it as something relatively superficial. Am I wrong?

love.actually

nisaba said:

Wow, Nisaba. I hope you ended it with her quickly after you found out!

Cutie, that's an interesting thought about risk. I've found that the card can also signify indecision.

Reverie

love.actually said:
Wow, Nisaba. I hope you ended it with her quickly after you found out!

Cutie, that's an interesting thought about risk. I've found that the card can also signify indecision.

That's interesting love.actually. I will add this to my notes...

It just seems like what the 7 of swords is doing is risky, I don't know why that comes to mind, maybe because that's what my question was about.

euripides

I get a sense of acting contrary to one's better instincts. Your 'good self' knows what you 'should' do, but you make the 'easy' choice instead. So that could easily suggest risks. There's this thing called 'risk shift' where you wouldn't do something if you just came across it, but in a group you follow the herd (or perhaps get bullied/cajoled) into doing it against your better judgement.

When looking for meaning in another context, I saw another interpretation suggesting 'prying' or minding other people's business, which I thought was quite interesting. Given the 'knowledge' realm that swords can occupy.

Reverie

euripides said:
I get a sense of acting contrary to one's better instincts. Your 'good self' knows what you 'should' do, but you make the 'easy' choice instead. So that could easily suggest risks. There's this thing called 'risk shift' where you wouldn't do something if you just came across it, but in a group you follow the herd (or perhaps get bullied/cajoled) into doing it against your better judgement.

OH! This is exactly how I feel!!!

nisaba

The person themselves was being dishonest to me, and ended up being extremely violent. I didn't intuitively pick up anything, except through the turn of the card. I ignored it, preferring to believe that what the card signified was beamed at the person from their neighbours, not at me from them.

that's the last time I don't absolutely walk away as soon as that card comes out - at least in that particular deck.

PAMUYA

cutiecutie said:
Can the 7 of swords indicate taking small risks? Or is it more feeling that way?
This tells me to be aware; that your actions have consequences and you should think long and hard before you act on impulse. Time to plan, have discipline, will power and use your intellect in your decision. Deception is not the best way to win. At this time you may find your whole ethical system can and most likely will be challenged. Or you may feel you must hide what you are doing, and must hide your true plans or intentions. It could be a feeling that leads to action, think before you act.

SirRushing

7 swords gets a bad rap, but sometimes it is a good card. The card means evade from the truth, to run and flee, keep secrets, or steal and take all you can, avoid responsiblity and be an opportunist. Sometimes you need to do these things. And it can be a good things.

It is only a bad card, when you feel someone is treating you poorly and you get this card to confirm that it is happening to you.

Yes, a lot of time taking a chance in stealing something or an opportunity is about taking risks. Stealing is a risk taking action.