4 hours of Sewing = Tarot pouch

rosebud_a320

PICS: Tarot Bag creations

I decided to make myself a pouch for my cards.

I don't know if any UK lady's remember those Satin bags that were all the fashion from Accessorize many years ago, well I had a blue one, unpicked the lot then sewed 2 pieces of Satin together so that my pouch would be fully lined and then decorated it with bits of scrap material.

Took me 4 hours, Satin is a *^*^&*% to sew.

Anyway here's the end result:

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/rosebud_a320/

Grizabella

What a pretty bag! Great job!

I agree about sewing satin. I don't know how others manage to do it and have it come out looking like anything decent. You did a beautiful job, though. :)

UrbanFool

If it makes you feel better, satin is easier than velvet! And especially trying to sew velvet to satin. :-D

Great pouch!

Kelly

tarot4fun

Very pretty bag~ :D

:heart:

morticia monroe

Rosebud,

What an absolutely gorgeous bag! Although it took you some time, the effort really shows. I really, really like it!! Great job!

I know what you mean about satin. The heavier stuff is not so bad, but thin satin is a real mother,,,,, I made a bag about two weeks ago that darn near caused me to pull my hair out! The only thing that works for me with satin is to pin the bejeesus out of it, and when stitching, you have to gently but firmly keep the material pulled taut. If there are any other tips YOU can offer, I'd love to hear them.

Nice job, Now go and get a beautiful cotton print and spend 30 minutes sewing and embellishing another bag to take that four hour taste out of your mouth! LOL. I do the same thing. But seriously,,,,NICE, nice bag!

AJ

that is lovely, is it all hand stitched?

If you sew with silky fabrics again, get some spray starch and starch the bejabbers out of it, then it will behave nicely. Of course the stiffness disappears as you use it so it returns to the silky fabric you began with. Spray starch is just cornstarch and water after all.

thanks for sharing!

celticnoodle

very pretty bag, rosebud. and, thanks for the tip, AJ! I know all too well how much of a bugger satin is to sew, but I'll remember your trick. I wonder if it'll work well on velvet too? my sister just gave me a large amount of black velvet to make tarot bags with. I'm not the best seamstress either, and so have been putting the job off for awhile. :D

rosebud_a320

Yes it is all hand stitched, I prefer sewing by hand. Having back to back CSI episodes on to watch in the background helped the time fly too lol

Spray starch...note to self I need some!

It was the dreaded thin Satin and my only tip is to try and double fold the edges to prevent fraying, lots of pins and if you really have the patience to iron the seams in place (I didn't lol)
I made it up as I went along, the front panel was added to cover up the central joining seam and I had a long thread of thin velvet which I used for hiding further seams and as drawstrings. The beads were added to cover up stitches as they looked a little unsightly.

Thanks everyone :)

morticia monroe I think I will be making another for the next deck I get.
Am going to start hunting around for some nice scrap material.
I've suprised myself with the outcome.

karenquilter

Nice bag, I like the embellishment on the front.

I recently made a bag out of microfiber fabric (with a suede finish) on my sewing machine. It was easy to sew, and looks really rich. It helped that I bought a microfiber needle to sew it with, as it was shaped specifically for the material.

Sewing the super lightweight fabrics (silk, satin) is easier if you use very fine thread, as well as a fine needle.

thorhammer

Yes, lovely bag, rosebud! What deck has the honour of this sumptuous home? :D I applaud your tenacity because when I try and sew, it's an hour here, and an hour six months later :rolleyes: . . . you get the picture :)
morticia monroe said:
I made a bag about two weeks ago that darn near caused me to pull my hair out!
I hope this wasn't one of mine!!!!! Silly girl!
UrbanFool said:
If it makes you feel better, satin is easier than velvet! And especially trying to sew velvet to satin. :-D
LOL and guess what Kat's trying to do? :rolleyes: But I do have the nice heavy satin, and the first spreadcloth has turned out nice, it's just the corners where I had to turn the satin over to cover the edges of the velvet that were tricky. Some handsewing required to patch those up :D and then I can tackle a bag!

\m/ Kat