How Often Do You Check For Missing Cards?

How Often Do You Check For Missing Cards?

• Before/After Every Use

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Intuitively

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters

Tanga

Like most posters - only once when new.
But - if I go to a Tarot Meetup and lend a deck to someone - then I'll check afterwards.
:)

Padma

Where is the answer "the first time I hold it in my hand and then NEVER"?

I do put my decks in order and shuffle them again to keep them warm and fresh, but not in order to check whether all the cards are there. Never thought about that possibility :-o

Never. I agree with Nemia.
When I get a deck, I always count how many cards there are and then never do it again. I'm not that kind of person to lose cards. And if one falls or somehow appears further away from the rest of the deck, I always find it. It's hard not to notice :)

Exactly. I didn't vote, since like many others, I check when I first open a new deck - and then, never. I have rarely lost anything material in my life, and have never lost a tarot card.

Sulis

I said 'Intuitively' but I don't think I ever have and I've never lost a card. If I get a new deck, new or second hand, I check through all of the cards and then I don't bother after that.

Carojulie

I admit to be obsessed with the fear of losing a card.

I never was like that and never counted the cards in a deck, until the day I realised my Golden tarot missed its death card. I freaked out when I realised I did not even know how long it had missed its card ! Maybe I had used it with only 77 cards for months before realising ?

Traumatic experience.

Now, I count the cards when I first get the deck and check them for misprints. All the times.
And I then count the cards very, very often - almost each time I use the deck. It is almost a nervous tic I have, counting until 78.

I never felt that putting the cards in order does much for cleasing a deck, but I sometime do it because it is the best way to identify a missing card.
Also, I never felt the need to get backups for loved OOP decks because they might get used, or the cards might get damaged on the edge. I get backups to replace missing cards.
Damage on the cards is not a problem to me (unless it is so serious that you can tell from looking at the card back wich is which, or that you cannot shuffle and use the cards anymore)
Aging marks on the cards are not a problem for me, the real problem - and where my worst fears rests - is cards going missing and leaving the rest of the deck an orphan.

AJ

(((Carojulie))) you didn't die did you? It is all in good fun, relax.
there are many decks with more than 78 cards, and quite a few with a fifth suit!

nisaba

I check for missing cards when I have some reason to suspect that one or more might be missing.

littlethings

I check the cards when they're new to me. I actually check them though and don't just count them. There's been several times when I've had new decks that have two of the same card and are missing another, so there's 78 cards, but they're still missing one.

Obsydian

Wow, I never thought to check after getting it for the first time. Now I'm gonna up and be paranoid! :(

RiverRunsDeep

I didn't vote, but I have only counted for missing cards in two instances. First, when I initially receive a deck. Second, when I am going to trade one of my decks to someone else.

feminine_mystique

Ha ha ha. .

I'm pretty clumsy and drop my babies from time to time. I count them possibly once a fortnight or even once a week as well. Sometimes i will read reversals other times i don't and when I put them upright I just count them unintentionally. So depends. But i tend to do it often.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk