Sharing a deck: Would you?

Carojulie

I would have no problem letting my husband use most of my deck if he were so inclined, I would just make sure he treats them with care.

The only decks we really share are the playing card decks and the tarot decks for playing the game of tarot. These decks are attached to the home, not to either one of us in particular - they belong to the family. And, you should see what state they are in.. sight... eventhough I insist that everybody have clean hands, and that we use a cloth to spread on the table before we play. These decks show their wear... sight.

For divination decks, it is different. My sense of "parenting" the deck is strong ! and I feel responsible for the way the deck is treated, stored etc... So my decks are my decks. I let loved ones use them, but they are still mine.

Obsydian

I'm very possessive and territorial of almost everything. My room. My friends. My fiance. My cards. Nobody touches my things!

Granted, I do give friends/family/SO leeway for their own free will. ;)

It may be that when I have a child who wants to learn the cards I'd give in and let them share mine.

Carojulie

Energy seems less problematic; paper isn't a very good conductor.

I have a different point of view, I think paper can keep and carry energy very strongly. I feel that paper keeps a trace of the person who has handled it, especially paper or card that has been written or drawn on, but also paper that has just been handled. And letters ! think of love letters. I have kept postcards for years, letters in my purse, all sorts of papers, because a loved one had handled them.
And I do feel that cards keep energy, and I feel that to be especially true for divinations cards including tarot decks, but I do also feel it for plain playing cards.

mrpants

I have a different point of view, I think paper can keep and carry energy very strongly. I feel that paper keeps a trace of the person who has handled it, especially paper or card that has been written or drawn on, but also paper that has just been handled. And letters ! think of love letters. I have kept postcards for years, letters in my purse, all sorts of papers, because a loved one had handled them.
And I do feel that cards keep energy, and I feel that to be especially true for divinations cards including tarot decks, but I do also feel it for plain playing cards.

And this feeling probably explains your strong sense of parenting, with your decks! For me, postcards and hand written letters are another thing entirely: handwriting is a very personal expression, and a window to their inner workings, for me. I can't throw away anything that's given or sent to me if it's personalized with handwriting.

VGimlet

If someone were living with me, and if I liked them enough to live with them, sure, I'd share. Even if my sister, or nieces or close friends wanted to borrow or use one of my decks, I'd be okay with it. However, no, not just anyone.

ayuryogini

I couldn't imagine a scenario in which it was necessary to co-own a deck.

I would rather gift a deck to someone; it would drive me crazy not knowing where it was and what it was doing.

But, I can imagine that I would have liked this idea in my late teens, early twenties, but definitely not now.