Is the Thoth used much for reading?

Le Fanu

SunChariot said:
Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine studying a deck that you don't intend to use, why put so much effort in then
In what way use?

Ive come to the conclusion that I don't often lay the cards from my historical decks out on the table and "read" them as I do my other decks. But I love them as decks much more than the "reading" decks in my collection. For example, I love the Vieville as a deck much more than the Golden Klimt Tarot, which I "read" with.

Right now Im really enjoying looking at all the cards in the 17th Century Tarot de Paris. And I don't think these cards were made with the purpose of what others here would call "reading." I'm getting vaguer and vaguer on this concept. But by getting them out, looking at them and studying them, though not reading with them, I feel as though I am still using them.

With the Thoth, I do both. I read about it, look at it and also put the cards on the table and read them.

Wendywu

My criteria for "use" - and I do try to use all my decks are:

a) I want to meditate with it
b) I want to read with it
c) I want it to help me understand some concept
d) It is beautiful and I want to look at it
e) I'd like to formally study its cards

And I think of all of those things as valid uses of the deck, and some decks only fit one category. Some fit all of them.

Le Fanu

Wendywu said:
My criteria for "use" - and I do try to use all my decks are:

a) I want to meditate with it
b) I want to read with it
c) I want it to help me understand some concept
d) It is beautiful and I want to look at it
e) I'd like to formally study its cards

And I think of all of those things as valid uses of the deck, and some decks only fit one category. Some fit all of them.
Perfect! And the Thoth - for me - fulfills all these categories! I love conjuring up images from the Thoth cards as Im in bed trying to get to sleep. Ive had some wonderful sensations. Of cards Im about to step into as I drop off to sleep

gregory

Absolutely. As one might expect, coming from me ;) - I feel VERY strongly that reading is NOT the only use for decks. I did - as many know - collect for many many years before I read at all - and I learned a great deal from just looking. Many of my decks have never been used for reading - but that does NOT make them useless.

Just as well- someone once worked out how long it would take me to read with all of them just once..... :| I don't got that long..... :D

nisaba

gregory said:
Just as well- someone once worked out how long it would take me to read with all of them just once..... :| I don't got that long..... :D
<cackle> Guilty as charged.

Didn't I come up with something like six and a half years? that's if you don't miss a day and don't play favourites.

"Using" decks ... an interesting one.

I think a valid "use" for a deck is also to fill out "holes" in a collection. For example, I'm not a huge Marseilles fan but I now own two Marseilles, the Thunder Bay for the older type and the Major Tom for the modern type. I have read with both of them and will do so again, but I know that I will do so only occasionally, although they are both fun in their own ways.

I have sub-collections in my overall collection, and it is quite okay to consider a deck useful if it feeds (fills out) one of the sub-collections. That being said, I have used all of my Visconti-Sforzas one way or another, even if, in the case of the Piermont, only to write about the differences between it and another one of that "family".

Decks based on the work of known artists, like the Bosch, Blake, Brueghel, Klimpt and so forth, I consider merely looking at the images a valid "use" for them, as they are designed specifically to feed visual appetites.

Trying to drag this right back on-topic to the Thoth and its useability, I've never actually owned one <blush>, but someone I know reads with it *all* the time. Owns a few decks, I think, but only ever pulls out the Thoth. She seems to pull very useful information out of it. I think it is a deck well-suited to her, and perhaps to other cosy, maternal-type women like her. (So, why don't I have one yet?)

WolfyJames

I got the Thoth a few years ago as a gift, I got then the DuQuette book too with his Quabalah book; DuQuette's book about the Thoth is really great, and the first to read if ever you want to read any book on the Thoth. The Thoth somewhat stayed buried in my pile of tarot decks. My craze on the Thoth Tarot started when I acquired the Liber T Tarot of Stars Eternal, which is a very very close clone to the Thoth, the closest out there assurely. I've been using it since as my main deck. While I have read a few books on the Thoth and a few good websites about the Thoth, I also use the deck intuitively without reaching for my books at each reading. I think sometimes it's because the minors are fully illustrated unlike the Thoth that helps me to be more intuitive with it. The Liber T is special.

Barbaras Ahajusts

Now the Liber T would be a deck I would love to have. I have to agree it's the closet thing to Thoth.

I don't use any of my other decks anymore. That's why I have been gifting or selling my other decks off.
I got hooked on the Thoth when Baroli gifted me a Thoth deck. I had used it on my Orphalese program & still got awesome readings with it, too.

My paid clients always get a Thoth reading. It works good with me.

:)Barbara

jujustar

Lilija said:
... it's a maze, it's a hall of mirrors, it's an exquisitely crafted funhouse of colors, shadows and light, movement, symbols, history, lunacy, numbers, connections, lines, just everything in the universe...

ha! I LOVE this Lilija

My thoth is a excellent friend. I use it whenever i have a chance... I read for myself, i meditate and study with it.
I dont think i would ever read for anyone else with it. Have tried, and dont like it. (I find that the Jolanda is great for "thoth" readings for other people!!)
Actually, after i trimmed my big one, released it from those fusty ol' borders, it just opened up to me about 500%.... i wish id done it years ago.

Lilija

Urgh. My maze of amazement just spent 5 hours sitting in a bowl of dog water, this evening. My pocket sized Thoth, my constant companion, tucked nicely in my (kimono silk baba studio shoulder pouch, also precious) purse got knocked off the chair it was hanging on, into the dog's water, as someone was leaving the house in a rush. It was a flurry of activity, I contentiously left the bag and cards behind. I didn't hang them over that particular chair, even, they were moved, and well... poop happens.

They're all spread out over my kitchen table, right now, drying. I just found a replacement online, which I can't afford, but bought anyway. I can skip a month on my cell phone bill. Silver lining: The purse is fine, and if the deck doesn't die, I'll have two small Thoth to hang out with.

I figured I'd come here and vent a little.

Lesson: Cart the Liber T around in my purse, instead.