The Book of the Law Study Group 2.7

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I suppose my Christian upbringing, though rejected long ago, left me holding Christ completely divorced from myself and HGA.
Remember that most of the old aeon solar/HGA archetypes are weighed down with a lot of baggage that just isn't compatible with the new aeon ethic of self-actualization. If you still want to use the existing "visible objects of worship" they need a bit of a Horus-style make over.
51. With my Hawk's head I peck at the eyes of Jesus as he hangs upon the cross.

52. I flap my wings in the face of Mohammed & blind him.

53. With my claws I tear out the flesh of the Indian and the Buddhist, Mongol and Din.
In the case of Jesus it's his eyes, his perspective or view point, that is attacked. The Christian cult is based on the glorification of suffering and self-sacrifice. This spiritual perspective just isn't compatible with the new aeon, so it has to go. Indeed, it's a theme that has ceased to be relevant to increasing numbers of people in todays world.

It's interesting to note that many of the new Christian denominations that are emerging are choosing to focus on the resurrected Jesus as opposed to the traditional hanging corpse. And the message they are preaching is more tolerant and accepting than the usual shame and guilt stuff that the Catholics have perfected to a fine art.
Or how about the rift in the Anglican church? The moderate anglicans realize that they must embrace change and move with the times if they are to survive. (In essence this mean rejecting some of their own scriptures.) The traditionalists see these changes as blasphemy and more proof of the wicked times in which we live. Their answer is to retreat into fundamentalism and rigid dogma.

ravenest

Finally!

Aeon418 said:
It's interesting to note that many of the new Christian denominations that are emerging are choosing to focus on the resurrected Jesus as opposed to the traditional hanging corpse.

Are they? Thank goodness! I was always confused, even as a little kid, why there wasnt a statue of JC over the altar, emerging from the tomb all radient and smiley or even bubba Jesus with a globe in hand and a robe and sceptre ( dressed as Emperor Constanine ?) instead of the tortured and dead corpse ... over the ALTAR of all places .... sheeeesh!!!

Curtis Penfold

ravenest said:
Are they? Thank goodness! I was always confused, even as a little kid, why there wasnt a statue of JC over the altar, emerging from the tomb all radient and smiley or even bubba Jesus with a globe in hand and a robe and sceptre ( dressed as Emperor Constanine ?) instead of the tortured and dead corpse ... over the ALTAR of all places .... sheeeesh!!!

I just wanted to throw out here that, being a Mormon, the cross and the crucifix have always meant nothing to us. (Personally I enjoy the empty cross, looking at it as a symbol of "He is not here but elsewhere").

I mean, we do believe that Jesus suffered for us. The Garden of Gethsemane, where we believe He took upon Him the sins of the world, is very important to us.

But the symbol that's usually on our churches is a steeple, understood to be pointing upwards, just like Jesus went up to heaven. On our temples, we usually have an angel blowing a trumpet. When asked what the symbol of our church is, Gordon B. Hinckley, late LDS prophet, said, "The symbol of our faith is the lives of our members."

(I hope we're not getting to far off subject. I just couldn't resist sharing my thoughts on this :D ).

Aeon418

Curtis Penfold said:
But the symbol that's usually on our churches is a steeple, understood to be pointing upwards, just like Jesus went up to heaven. On our temples, we usually have an angel blowing a trumpet. When asked what the symbol of our church is, Gordon B. Hinckley, late LDS prophet, said, "The symbol of our faith is the lives of our members."
AL III:22 The other images group around me to support me: let all be worshipped, for they shall cluster to exalt me.

Conventional religion is simplified HGA worship suitable for the masses. Behind the veil of diversity and difference among religions lies the same truth. It is this that is represented by RHK in Liber Legis.
Ra-Hoor-Khuit, like all true Gods, is therefore a Solar-Phallic deity. But we regard Him as He is in truth, eternal; the Solar-Phallic deities of the old Aeon, such as Osiris, "Christ", Hiram, Adonis, Hercules, etc., were supposed through our ignorance of the Cosmos, to 'die' and 'rise again'. Thus we celebrated rites of 'crucifixion' and so on, which have now become meaningless. Ra-Hoor-Khuit is the Crowned and Conquering Child. This is also a reference to the 'Crowned' and Conquering 'Child' in ourselves, our own personal God. Except ye become as little children, said 'Christ', ye shall not enter into the Kingdom of God.

Curtis Penfold

Aeon418, thank you for your response!

I do agree with you that there are a lot of similarities among religions. Any differences have helped me look at myself and Christ with fresh eye.

I love ancient world religion. When I see the sun set, I see Christ dieing, and when I see it rising, I see Christ being reborn. I see it again in the seasons. Everywhere I look, I see a spiritual journey represented in nature. :D

Aeon418

Curtis Penfold said:
When I see the sun set, I see Christ dieing, and when I see it rising, I see Christ being reborn.
Exactly!

But the rising and setting of the sun is an illusion created by the rotation of the Earth. In actual fact the sun never rises and never sets. It only appears to because our perception is limited.

Likewise when we look at Atu XII The Hanged Man, it can be viewed as the great tragedy of the Christian story. The suffering and death of the annointed Solar King. But the Solar King, the Sun, never dies. He only appears to from the limited perspective of the 4 elements (earth). His real essence, the fifth element of Spirit - the Ankh, is never harmed by his self-willed adventures within the elements. He is only enriched by them.

Unfortunately the current achetypes, or aspirational images of the True Self, don't reflect this wider perception. Hence a preocupation with themes of suffering, death, sin, shame, guilt, and eternal damnation at the hands of an angry god. Is it any wonder that increasing numbers of people are turning away from this stuff? And the only place your likely to hear a "hell fire and brimstone" sermon these days is from the mouth the of a fundamentalist.