Question on Thoth Deck

Professor X

I have found the artwork on the deck to be bizzare.
I dont think I could ever link up with the energies on that deck.
Is there some sort of benefit to using it that I just dont see?
Crowley was involved with summoning entities of a negative and destructive nature which resulted in his own drug addiction and demise.

I may have to purchase one and see what happens with it.
Crowley played around with some dangerous forces and energies and from
what I have seen it is reflected in the artwork of his tarot deck.

There must be some value in using the deck or else people wouldnt do so.

rif

The deck is not the artist. In my opinion, of course. :) Others will likely disagree.

It think it comes down to whether you like the art or not. If you find it appealing, it will speak to you. If you find it disturbing, you probably won't get good readings with it. And if the man's legacy makes you uncomfortable, you'll likely have a hard time making peace with the deck.

If you're interested in the deck, by all means try it. It won't bite. :D If you find that you really dislike the deck's look and feel, then move onto something else.

Same for any deck, I think.

Good luck!

Alta

The art was not done by Crowley himself, but by his artistic collaborator, lady Freida Harris.

Professor X

I dont have any problems with Crowleys legacy,I have studied information from him in the past. He was a occult master.

I just dont think I could ever make any real link with the cards of that deck.
I dont think I could ever see anything in reading the cards.
However I will indeed purchase a deck and see for myself.
It could very well be that the deck requires a different type of interpretation.

I will have to experiment with it and see.

Le Fanu

Do what I do.

Just lie back and think of Frieda :)

Aeon418

Professor X said:
Crowley was involved with summoning entities of a negative and destructive nature which resulted in his own drug addiction and demise.
Really?
Professor X said:
I have studied information from him in the past.
Hmmmm....

gregory

rif said:
The deck is not the artist. In my opinion, of course. :) Others will likely disagree.
I DO agree entirely. It's a LOVELY deck. Whatever part he played in its creation - and as Alta says, he didnt actually do the art.

It think it comes down to whether you like the art or not. If you find it appealing, it will speak to you. If you find it disturbing, you probably won't get good readings with it. And if the man's legacy makes you uncomfortable, you'll likely have a hard time making peace with the deck.

If you're interested in the deck, by all means try it. It won't bite. :D If you find that you really dislike the deck's look and feel, then move onto something else.

Same for any deck, I think.

Good luck!
Quite. But - do you plan to stop listening to Mozart because he was a really rather nasty person ?

cardlady22

I didn't think I liked/wanted it back when I still thought that "all tarot people are involved in magic" but once I decided to look at the art for me and who-cares-who/what-Crowley-is ~ I really enjoy it being so different. I think everyone should have a Thoth . . . and a Marseille. :grin:

Nevada

Professor X said:
I have found the artwork on the deck to be bizzare.
I dont think I could ever link up with the energies on that deck.
Is there some sort of benefit to using it that I just dont see?

I may have to purchase one and see what happens with it.
Crowley played around with some dangerous forces and energies and from
what I have seen it is reflected in the artwork of his tarot deck.

There must be some value in using the deck or else people wouldnt do so.
I guess I have to wonder, if you have such negative feelings about Crowley and if you really think those same negative things apply to the deck, why you'd even consider it.

I love the Thoth and its art deco style. But of course it's not for everyone, and if you don't like it and don't connect with it, then by all means choose another deck. I would never buy a deck I didn't at least suspect I would like a great deal. There are so many to choose from.

Relax and enjoy Tarot, with whichever deck brings joy to you.

Abrac

Professor X, you must be curious or why else would you inquire? As you said, there must be something there or the deck wouldn't have lasted.

Your curiosity is normal in my opinion. Crowley was an influential figure in occult circles and I believe sooner or later anyone on that path has to come to terms with him. Just because Crowley had his demons that doesn't mean they will rub off on you simply by learning about him or his tarot. Check it out for yourself and then decide. :)