Thoth System

tiripou

I only learned recently that there are two basic approaches to tarot and I'd like to learn a little about the Thoth-based approach.

Since I'm not attracted to the imagery of the Thoth deck (or Liber-T or Via), is there an article on this site that explains the differences between the Thoth and Rider systems?

Alternatively, would the LWB for one of the Thoth-inspired decks help me understand the Thoth system?

Thanks so much,
tiripou

defile959

Hi Tiripou,

Honestly, the Thoth is such a deep approach to Tarot that a single article or LWB probably wouldn't go too far in elucidating it. For a solid overview in layman's terms, I would recommend checking out Lon Milo DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot". This will give you quite a bit of insight into the cards themselves and the system behind them, without being nearly as demanding a read as Crowley's own "The Book of Thoth".

Hope this helps!

Jon

WolfyJames

tiripou said:
I only learned recently that there are two basic approaches to tarot and I'd like to learn a little about the Thoth-based approach.

Since I'm not attracted to the imagery of the Thoth deck (or Liber-T or Via), is there an article on this site that explains the differences between the Thoth and Rider systems?

Actually there are three tarot traditions: Tarot de Marseille, Rider-Waite Smith and the Thoth. The Tarot de Marseille tradition is assurely older than the other two. It's a good thing that you try to discover more about the other traditions beside the Rider-Waite Smith. Both the Thoth and the Rider-Waite Smith are based on the Golden Dawn system but they indeed have a few differences, like Crowley put many thelemic elements in his tarot while Waite was more a christian mysticist. And I also think Waite was more optimist while Crowley more pessimist, it shows in the different meanings for the cards like Seven of Coins or Seven of Cups if you compare both decks about these cards.

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Duquette is effectively the best beginner book for those who want to dabble with the Thoth and discover more Crowley's system.

Grigori

tiripou said:

Probablythe first step is to find a deck that does appeal to you. www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/thoth-inspired.shtml There are some options here that might he more interesting, or you could consider a Golden Dawn style deck which is very much a similar approach. www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-dawn.shtml

The Haindl has very good companion books, as does the Golden Dawn Magical Tarot. Though even withone of these decks the DuQuette book would still be very valuable I think. Alot of people who don't like the Thoth art like the Vision Quest and it would be quite easy to apply Duquette's book to that deck too.

tiripou

similia said:
Probablythe first step is to find a deck that does appeal to you. www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/thoth-inspired.shtml There are some options here that might he more interesting, or you could consider a Golden Dawn style deck which is very much a similar approach. www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-dawn.shtml

The Haindl has very good companion books, as does the Golden Dawn Magical Tarot. Though even withone of these decks the DuQuette book would still be very valuable I think. Alot of people who don't like the Thoth art like the Vision Quest and it would be quite easy to apply Duquette's book to that deck too.

Thanks, Similia! I do like the art of the Vision Quest deck, so I'm glad to hear that I can use that one to learn about the Thoth system.

tiripou

defile959 said:
Hi Tiripou,

Honestly, the Thoth is such a deep approach to Tarot that a single article or LWB probably wouldn't go too far in elucidating it. For a solid overview in layman's terms, I would recommend checking out Lon Milo DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot". This will give you quite a bit of insight into the cards themselves and the system behind them, without being nearly as demanding a read as Crowley's own "The Book of Thoth".

Hope this helps!

Jon

Thank you for the book title, defile959. I'll give it a try!

tiripou

WolfyJames said:
Actually there are three tarot traditions: Tarot de Marseille, Rider-Waite Smith and the Thoth. The Tarot de Marseille tradition is assurely older than the other two. It's a good thing that you try to discover more about the other traditions beside the Rider-Waite Smith. Both the Thoth and the Rider-Waite Smith are based on the Golden Dawn system but they indeed have a few differences, like Crowley put many thelemic elements in his tarot while Waite was more a christian mysticist. And I also think Waite was more optimist while Crowley more pessimist, it shows in the different meanings for the cards like Seven of Coins or Seven of Cups if you compare both decks about these cards.

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Duquette is effectively the best beginner book for those who want to dabble with the Thoth and discover more Crowley's system.

Thank you, WolfyJames. I'll take a look at Duquette's book.

ravenest

tiripou said:
Try Liber AL vel Legis ;)