Thoth Tarot - Magical memory system

Freddie

I am using the Golden Dawn magical memory system for my use with this deck and of course studying the 'Book of Thoth' and other writings. Is this proper use for this deck as the symbolism has been used prior to the advent of the deck? Thelmea has a diverse background/history and also includes other themes I am believe in like Enochian practices, so is it abuse to use the symbolism of the deck with a plethora of beliefs/meaning that may not totally agree with 'New Aeon' thought (but not disagree with it at the same time, because I don't ..I've just spent 25 years or more studying Christain mysticism/Golden Dawn teachings).

For example, I understand Nuit (and the Thelmea behind it and yes it has added new meanings/symbolism to my take on the card), but it really is 'The Star' card not too different from the other packs.

Thanks,

Freddie

Grigori

Freddie said:
I am using the Golden Dawn magical memory system

Could you a elaborate a little on what the magical memory system is Freddie, I'm not familiar with what you mean and would like to learn more. When I hear magical memory I think of Crowley's ritual for remembering past lives, which is clearly a different thing that what you're describing.

Freddie

Hi,

I found a reference to this in one of my recent Tarot book purchases (referring to GD system of symbolism..might be in one of my Mathers books..I'll find it), it may be from Paul Huson in his 'The Devil's Picturebook'. It is based on the premise (Carl Jung like) that the symbols used in Tarot are as old as mankind and universal to everyones' subconcious mind, Holy Guardian Angel, higher self so no one body/person can change their general meaning in a revisionist manner as 'belonging to them' as the Tarot symbolism belongs to all of us.

I find the 'Book of Thoth' quite fasinating and with every section I go back and reread there is always a bit more knowledge I aquire from it. I'm a hardcore GD based person and to me the deck suits Mathers 'Book T' to a tee and I have no intention of converting to Thelmea even though I think it is a very valuable system as well.

In the eyes of the OTO and others am I abusing this deck by not accepting all of the intended meaning symbolism of this deck? I use this deck with the Golden Dawn belief system.

I see now how 'Tarot Mirror of the Soul' is deeply flawed after much study of materials centered on this deck, so I'm not trying to prove any point in a negative manner.

Thanks,

Freddie

Grigori

Freddie said:
In the eyes of the OTO and others am I abusing this deck by not accepting all of the intended meaning symbolism of this deck?

pfft, I doubt it. The OTO has the copyright on the deck, not on spiritual growth ;) And now that they get royalties from the sale of the deck, I suspect they'd just be happy for you to buy lots of copies and use them any old way you want :laugh:

The Thoth deck is really a GD deck IMO, the vast majority of it is directly copied from the GD material, and then a few changes made in line with Crowley's own work/philosophy. How you want to view/use those changes is up to you. I personally think its useful to understand some of the Thelemic content to more fully appreciate the deck, but even that is not necessary IMO.

Always Wondering

Paul Foster Case's Occult Fundementals and Spiritual Unfoldment Section B Lessons seem similar to what you are talking about. I have begun to apply it with the Thoth deck with satisfactory results.

page147 said:
The Life-Power in you knows all about the Tarot. It knows why the first pack of these cards was made. It knows everything Mr. Waite, or anybody else know about the Tarot. Comply with the mental law where by the Life-Power communicates its knowledge to its personal centers, and you may express whatever path of its understanding of the Tarot you may happen to need in order to *ripen* properly. When you take this tableau of the major trumps, and fix your attention upon it, assuming deliberately the mental attitude symbolized by the magician, you are obeying the mental law I just mentioned.

AW