The Book of the Law Study Group 2.52

Grigori

There is a veil: that veil is black. It is the veil of the modest woman; it is the veil of sorrow, & the pall of death: this is none of me

I like the idea of turning this sentence on its head, and inverting its contents in order to describe Hadit, our "secret centre".

I am bright, I am immodest, I am joyful, I am alive.

That is what is hiding inside of "me". Rock on my Khabs :D

Aeon418

Grigori said:
I like the idea of turning this sentence on its head, and inverting its contents in order to describe Hadit, our "secret centre".

That is what is hiding inside of "me". Rock on my Khabs :D
Exactly! :) Where I am these are not. ;)

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
You know, it hadn't occured to me that there are naturally modest women. :| I just figured we were all trained.
From Crowley's commentary to I:41.
Laws against adultery are based upon the idea that woman is a chattel, so that to make love to a married woman is to deprive the husband of her services. It is the frankest and most crass statement of a slave-situation. To us, every woman is a star. She has therefore an absolute right to travel in her own orbit. There is no reason why she should not be the ideal hausfrau, if that chance to be her will. But society has no right to insist upon that standard. It was, for practical reasons, almost necessary to set up such taboos in small communities, savage tribes, where the wife was nothing but a general servant, where the safety of the people depended upon a high birth-rate. But to-day woman is economically independent, becomes more so every year. The result is that she instantly asserts her right to have as many or as few men or babies as she wants or can get; and she defies the world to interfere with her. More power to her -- elbow!

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Another way to think of it is by contemplating the Empress as alchemical salt. The circle with a line through it. Two "seemingly" contradictory halves making one whole. The Whore of Babalon and the Virgin Mary in One woman. I think this is one reason why many people think the Harris' painting of the Empress looks a little odd, as if two separate images had been stuck together.
Another thing to consider is the two grade signs for the Babe of the Abyss. Puella, the chaste Virgin. And Mulier, the all receptive mother. Below the abyss these two are a contradiction. Above the abyss they are the two halves of One Cup. No wonder, from the male perspective, women are a wonderful but baffling enigma. :laugh:

It occurred to me after yesterdays little misunderstanding, and the way I use my favorite :| key, I have a little modestly in me as well.

Aeon418 said:
In the Aeon of Osiris one half of the symbol of salt was outlawed. Any woman who dared to openly express it was branded a whore. Of course this attitude was fundamentally hypocritcal. Males instinctually lust for that aspect, and so it had to demonized and cast as a wicked temptation. Rubbish! Veil not your vices in virtuous words!
Oh well, living in the US with with our ummm "contradictory" politicians, this I get. :laugh:

Aeon418 said:
One way of looking at the symbolism of Babalon is as a reclamation of the full woman. Taking back what was once forbidden. And if anyone doesn't like it, tough! :laugh:

Grigori said:

That is what is hiding inside of "me". Rock on my Khabs

These are lovely.

CastleCrest said:
this is none of me - these are the key words IMHO.

I would agree with you there, CastleCrest. Thanks for speaking up.

AW