Llewellyn or Weiser Thoth? Which is more common?

Lillie

The reason I wasn't going to post here is because I sometimes feel lke people will think 'Oh, what a know it all she is!'

The truth is that I don't know it all, and what I do know is from here, from people here telling me about their decks.
Somehow I seem to have memorised it all!

My ace in the Weiser is the same way up as my greenie.
The 666 in the centre says 666 not 999!

I have never seen blood on the hanged man before!
Creepy!

And of course, I love you all!

Lillie

The reason I wasn't going to post here is because I sometimes feel lke people will think 'Oh, what a know it all she is!'

The truth is that I don't know it all, and what I do know is from here, from people here telling me about their decks.
Somehow I seem to have memorised it all!

My ace in the Weiser is the same way up as my greenie.
The 666 in the centre says 666 not 999!

I have never seen blood on the hanged man before!
Creepy!

And of course, I love you all!

Dean

I actually prefer this Hanged man from my Llewellyn US deck to the later better printed editions, my Llewellyn's hanged man seems more to life with it's background faded colour, it seems to bring out the hanged man hanging.

Lillie it's always great to hear your view's on these Thoth threads, and thanks for getting back with your Weiser Ace info it seems that these early editions have more or less mistakes added in each deck. Anyway i've posted some more Llewellyn cards below.

Attachments

• Llewellyn.jpg
    Llewellyn.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Llewellyn  missing eight.jpg
    Llewellyn missing eight.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Llewelly--.JPG
    Llewelly--.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 123

Cerulean

Manteia Courier--Frank Jensen's listing of Thoth decks

I will post to Lillie's other thread, but since compares Llewellyn and Weiser early editions:

http://www.manteia-online.dk/deckreviews/dr049.htm

I have the earlier light blue edition of the Llewellyn in gold box which came right after the Samuel Weiser edition listed with the misprints. It was locally aquired through a used bookstore getting rid of old stock from estate sales. I haven't had time to actually look into anything posted about this edition until June 2010 and I'll have to check to see if I can find any misprints.

I think there is a Weiser edition coming to me soon also with the light blue borders, but have to wait.

Best,

Cerulean

gregory

Do you have the HONG KONG print ?????

WOW !

I have an A.

US Games had nothing to do with it. No mention of Llewellyn. All Weiser, printed in USA. Bought in about 1976. Misprinted Ace Disks, but my 8 Cups DOES have the 8 ! Pale blue edges and no OTO card. Did that start with the greenies ?

Cerulean

My light blue copies seem to be the B version, between 1970-78 with no mistakes

B: Text on slip case in metallic gold, O.T.O logo in red. Inner slipcase: bright brassy gold, matte surface on cards. Printed in Hong Kong

Another edition appeared sometime between 1970 and 1978. A white slipcase with text in black and the O.T.O. logo is the same as the Llewellyn/variation A, as are also the cards, except that the 8 of Cups now has the Arabic number added and the 999 on 8* of Disks is now rightly 666.

*(Cerulean's note: it is Ace of Disks)

My version is circa 1970s, possibly 1976.

On both, there are no mistakes on the 8 of Cups or Ace of Disks. My versions are distributed by Llewellyn, one received locally to Northern California in 1976 (date stamped by owner who lived in Palo Alto, CA, the used bookstore within 20 miles of that area). The other from a collection elsewhere.

The OTO title card has a Dublin, CA 94566 address.

Both are light blue borders, not green. I think there is a Weiser one coming to me and it will likely be light blue, although the box was described a little differently--the description says wooden. I have a feeling it's a hard cardboard that might seem like a light balsa wood covered in paper, like cigar boxes..

(.incidently I am airing out ten pretty wooden cigar boxes--some balsa wood, some as beautiful as maple or other hardwood jewelry boxes...these purchases for about two-to-four dollars with gorgeous printing and locks/or different lids. I have to air them for months in a shady porch, then pour sage/lavendar/baking soda until all the smokiness disappear. I dislike the smell, but love the boxes. After it all vanishes, now I have wooden boxes for my friends who do their own crafts...)

I am saving a green-varnished one for a Thoth greenie if I ever get one again.

Cerulean