Deck of the Week Signup Thread - Week 32 - March 10th - March 17th

Mi-Shell

Thanks for your input, guys! :)

Yes, I sort of feel, all the people on these cards are people I am supposed to know = real people. Now I just posted my last 3 days worth of daily draws on our thread. while looking for images of the cards I drew, I stumbled onto the blog of the creator. She is the one on the 9 of earth - another card, that I found "strange" and somehow "hyper-real"
Now I am wondering, if all the humans on the deck are people she knows....
I have no time to lurk on the net today, but will look into it....
Any input is very apprechiated! :)

AJ

yes, I think they are all people she knows or admires or is part of her group thing she does.
I can accept it on a painted deck, but never on a photocollage deck. Painted people for me (since I don't know them anyway) are just images or figures, part of the whole.

if nothing else you now have something for trade material :)

I don't get the slavering over the Mary El either, but I'm not very smart or deep and most symbology goes right over my head, and I think you'd need to be all that with that deck.

Flaxen

The use of real people in decks tends to put me off a deck. I know some people rave about the Gaian but it really doesn't appeal.

I'm enjoying the Golden Tarot - the artwork is just what I need to sooth me at the moment. It reminds me of the artwork in the Basilica of my old hometown.

vee

I don't get the slavering over the Mary El either, but I'm not very smart or deep and most symbology goes right over my head, and I think you'd need to be all that with that deck.

I am not smart or deep and I love the Mary El! Maybe you're so unsmart and undeep that you've actually come full circle, like the Fool, and are *too* smart and deep for the deck. :p

Cat*

I had this deck on my wish list for ages. Now, when I look at it I am wondering: What was I thinking!!??
-Well, it was back in the time, when I was on strict dial up and could not look at scans of decks or load the web sites of deck creators. :(
Yesterday I looked through the cards, and honestly, there are just 25 cards I like and from these only 3 I really like....
So many others are - what I feel as being "tacky" or "kitsch".
We seem to have the same problem this week (the "what was I thinking?!" one) - and I don't even have the excuse of not having looked at all the images! :|

Yes, I sort of feel, all the people on these cards are people I am supposed to know = real people. Now I just posted my last 3 days worth of daily draws on our thread. while looking for images of the cards I drew, I stumbled onto the blog of the creator. She is the one on the 9 of earth - another card, that I found "strange" and somehow "hyper-real"
That reminds me of my time with the Tarot of Northern Shadows where a lot of cards also feature friends and family of the artist. (Which I hated with a passion, especially since she told us all about them in the companion book.)
Your description of those images as "hyper-real" hits the nail on the head, I think. These figures look somehow more real than the others, and their realistic faces often didn't match their not-so-realistic clothes or bodies. They feel different from other card characters, and I don't think it's the art style that makes the difference. But for some reason fictional faces end up looking different than real ones... (I wish I could come up with a good reason for that!)

Penthasilia

Hey guys- interesting stuff on the Gaian- that one had potential that somehow sank in my book. Some cards are pretty, but most are eh for me.

I worked with the Alchemical again today. I would have to say that it has one main weakness- this is not a deck for fortunetelling. I know, I know- many people will say- well, the tarot serves a higher purpose- you can use a lenormand for that! Well, true- but I like decks that can do both. I posed some questions today in regard to upcoming stuff that will have a significant impact on our family life and finances- and it was all over the place weird. Then, a more "spiritual" question- right back on track.

That doesn't lessen my liking for it- but makes me realize that, for me anyway, this is a deck that I would only pull out for those types of inquiries- as it is very concerned with the overall alchemical/spiritual process but the mundane stuff (like- income, financial stability, job, etc- you know, those "little" things)- eh- not so much!

:)

Chiska

Enjoying the Pythagorean as I needed a review on my numbers. I still find it strange to read with though! I should do an exchange or two.

One thing I like about this deck is the way that Swords are looked at - and especially the 10 of Swords. Because the ten is the full circle, it is a culmination and return to the beginning. There is no "ooh! negative thoughts and stabbings..." with this card. In is one of the most visually profound cards in the deck. And people call these pips "unillustrated??"

It is a single large sword, point up. It is exactly the same sword as the Ace, but the blues and whites of the background are a bit different. Within the blade of the sword is the circle of 8 swords pointed inwards to a single sword point down.

The beginning has passed (sword down in center) and is surrounded by all that has affected it (8 swords point in). All this comes to a culmination - the big sword plus the little swords. And the cycle will return to the beginning (the Ace).

A subtle feature on these cards is the background. All swords are in the same family of blue, but there are subtle differences that can give a clue to the "state" of the card.

Okay, done gushing now.

Penthasilia

I am so glad you are liking the deck Chiska :)

YAYYYY!!!! Hope for the overly symbolized decks!

:D

vee

Oooh, swordsy goodness always intrigues me. I'd overlooked that deck, will rub my chin on it a while longer...

The Rumi and I are doing...okay. The tarot doesn't grab me. My daily drawing today was kind of lackluster and I felt like I was reaching. And yet, coming near the end of the day, I can see it was perfectly accurate and that if I had followed its advice, my day would have gone much smoother. :laugh:

I think the deck is asking me to put my ego aside for a bit to just sit with it. ;) I'll give it my best shot.

VGimlet

The use of real people in decks tends to put me off a deck.

You know, usually I loath photo collage decks, especially with people in them but I am one who likes it. BUT, like AJ, I live in the same area, and it helps with the connection for me. My readings with it haven't been what I'd hoped for though.

I connected immediately with the Mary-el, but maybe that was because I've been following the creation forever, and got the LE when it was availalbe. :p

BUT that's why it's good there are so many decks out there, and we can all find some that resonate for us.

I'm doing okay with the Wheel of the Year, but I'm home with something that might be allergies or a cold on the way which makes me feel a little disconnected with EVERYTHING.