Zan and BC's Excellent Thoth Adventure: Crowley Biographies

Aeon418

sapienza said:
I'd really like an objective bio and yet it seems that they are either anti-Crowley or written by those who essentially follow Crowley and subscribe to his philosophies.
You could try reading from each camp. The question is which ones?
I've read these: (Not including Perdurabo)

The Legend of Aleister Crowley (1930) by Israel Regardie & P. R. Stephensen.
Not really a biography per se. It's more a defence of Crowley and his writings against the attacks by the British press.

The Great Beast (1951) by John Symonds.
Very hostile and lots of inaccuracies. But it did keep the "legend of infamy" alive and inspired a lot of people after A.C.'s death. Most of the "popular scare stories" that do the rounds on internet forums can be found in this book.

The Eye in the Triangle (1970) by Israel Regardie.
Partly written as a reaction to Symonds biography. Regardie fell out with Crowley in the 1930's but felt the need to set the record straight and correct many of the falsehoods spread by Symonds. Regardie attempts to use the tools of psycho-analysis on Crowley with mixed results. Some of his theories have been proved wrong with the passage of time, but it's still an interesting read. Only goes as far as 1914 though.

The Magickal World of Aleister Crowley (1977) by Francis X. King. (Republished in 2004 under the title MegaTherion.)
A readable biography but nothing special. It didn't really make much of an impression on me for some reason. Some people like it though.

The Nature of the Beast (1987) by Colin Wilson.
Oh dear. :rolleyes: In my opinion the only research Wilson did for this book was to read John Symonds biography. Nuff said!

The Legacy of the Beast (1989) by Gerald Suster.
A brief potted bio followed by an examination of Crowley's ideas, influence and legacy. This was one of the first books I read on Crowley and so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. The biography section is probably a little too pro-Crowley though.

Aleister Crowley: The Beast Demystified (1998) by Roger Hutchinson.
There's a hostile slant to this one, which is no great crime. But the quality of Hutchinson's research is very dodgy in places. In fact he clearly makes things up. Example: his assertion on page 79 that Dion Fortune was present at the "Battle of Blythe Road" in 1900 when Crowley attempted to take over the London based Golden Dawn temple. Erm... no Mr Hutchinson. Fortune was only 10 years old at the time. :laugh:

A Magick Life (2000) by Martin Booth.
A readable and even-handed biography. Sympathetic and critical in even measure. Booth was an appreciator of Crowley's poetry and quotes from it liberally throughout the book. Not much detail about Crowley's spiritual life though, but it's not really Booth's area of expertise.

Do What Thou Wilt (2000) by Lawrence Sutin.
Very detailed exploration of the outer events of Crowley's life. Reasonably even handed throughout, but just like Booth's bio there is a gaping hole at the centre. Where is the examination of Crowley's spirituality? Obviously it's not Sutin's forte, so his comments are minimal and brief at best. This leaves it feeling somewhat incomplete, despite the obvious effort put into it. It's almost as if Sutin has mapped out the framework of Crowley's life, but the heart is missing.
On a personal note I didn't like Sutin's writing style. A bit dry in places.

Secret Agent 666 (2008) by Richard B. Spence.
Not really a biography. It's an examination of Crowley's war time activities. Crowley always claimed that he was working as an agent for British Intelligence. Of course he could not prove this during his lifetime and so the "liar & traitor" tag has stuck for many years. Spence's book, based on newly released government documents, is an answer to that charge.

sapienza

Thanks Aeon for all the info. That list of the biographies is excellent! 'A Magick Life' sounds interesting.

thorhammer said:
I'm still happy to lend you my copy of Do What Thou Wilt, sweetie. That will easily tide you over till Perdurabo gets to our shores!
Thanks Kat, will send you a PM :)

gregory

Aeon418 said:
Very hostile and lots of inaccuracies. But it did keep the "legend of infamy" alive and inspired a lot of people after A.C.'s death. Most of the "popular scare stories" that do the rounds on internet forums can be found in this book.
How odd. I haven't felt it was hostile at all. More envious, really :D

Maybe I have the wrong attitude.... })

Bat Chicken

Aeon418 said:
Do What Thou Wilt (2000) by Lawrence Sutin.
Very detailed exploration of the outer events of Crowley's life. Reasonably even handed throughout, but just like Booth's bio there is a gaping hole at the centre. Where is the examination of Crowley's spirituality? Obviously it's not Sutin's forte, so his comments are minimal and brief at best. This leaves it feeling somewhat incomplete, despite the obvious effort put into it. It's almost as if Sutin has mapped out the framework of Crowley's life, but the heart is missing.
On a personal note I didn't like Sutin's writing style. A bit dry in places.
I am nearly finished this one and I am a little hungry for more of the 'spiritual' element. If Perdurabo is more readable, I'll eat it up. I found Sutin just fine in the readability department. I find the bio reading is enlightening to my Thoth study - more than expected.

Grigori

Purdurabo is available and shipping from Amazon now. Eager for my copy to arrive!

zan_chan

Me too! Mine is supposed to be shipping this weekend... :)

sapienza

I see it is now available at Book Depository as well. I think I'm going to have to order it.

Grigori, did you know bookdepository ship to Australia for free and by air mail too so orders often arrive here in about a week or so?

Grigori

Thanks Sapienza, yeah I've discovered the joys of book depository, Amazon seduced me on this one though with their promises of preorder :D But you will likely get your copy well before me, amazon's international shipping is pitiful.

I WANT MY PURDURABO!!!

sapienza

Amazon shipping is bizarrely slow. I remember waiting over six weeks for some books once. I'm sure you could swim hear faster than that! You may well get yours first though. I've been procrastinating about whether to order a bio or not for years now. Maybe I should wait and see how you rate it, although I have to say I'm REALLY tempted to just order it. :)

Lillie

Aeon418 said:

I like this book, it's good fun. But that's neither here nor there.
What I wanted to say was that people ought to be aware that there are two versions of this book, and they are both quite different.

This is how it seems to me.

1951, Symonds writes 'The Great Beast: The life of Aleister Crowley' It is printed over the next few years in a variety of forms. It is notable for the use of pseudonyms for various people. Particularly Leah Hersig. However at one point in my copy it forgets to use the fake name and uses the real one. I don't know if this is true for all copies.

Around 1958, Symonds writes 'The Magic of Aleister Crowley'. I have not read this and know nothing about it.

1971. 'The Great Beast' is revised and updated, much is changed, some stuff is removed, some is added, it now incorporates material from 'The magic of Aleister Crowley'. Pseudonyms are no longer used (to my knowledge). It is now called 'The Great Beast; The life and magick of Aleister Crowley'.

I write this because the 50's book and the 70's book are really quite different. Both interesting, but certainly very different. The similarity of the titles makes it rather easy to confuse the three books as all the titles are very similar.

Edit, cos I'm a bit anal about stuff sometimes.

Symonds also wrote in 89 'King of the Shadow Realm, Aleister Crowley - His life and Magic': and in 97 'Beast 666; Life of Aleister Crowley'.
Not read either of these and do not know if they are really new books or just re-writings of older stuff, they seem to be just there to have similar names and to be confusing.

Good on Symonds, the master of flogging a dead horse and making it run a bit further...