Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Books Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Tarot Study Groups > Individual Deck Studies > Bohemian Gothic Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your Tarot cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot lovers, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post your thoughts, share readings, search, save threads, view extra boards and more.

post a reply

faunabay 
Citizen

Bohemian Gothic - which cards are the scariest?

OK, we all know that the whole deck is unsettling. That's the whole point of it. But which cards are the scariest to you? Are you surprised at which ones affect you the most or were they the ones you knew would freak you out?

The ones that are scariest to me are:

Knight of Swords - He just flat out scares the bejezus out of me.

The Sun - Whoa! We pretty much knew this little guy (is he human or not?) is freaky.

Page of Wands - This is the one that surprised me. I had seen the scans and while it was strange it didn't scare me until I had it in hand. (shudder)

The Hermit is one I thought would scare me but once in hand it didn't have the same effect on me for some reason.

So how about it? Which ones freak you out the most?

Old 02-01-2008     Top   #1
fferyllt 
Citizen

Good topic, faunabay. I was surprised when I went through the deck how freaked out I was at the Justice card, the fellow holding the Malleus Maleficarum. It just stands out that's what the book is, and oh what a creepy idea of justice. Really well done.
fferyllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008     Top   #2
EarthAngel2911 
Life is not for Sissies

Hi faunabay! I've gone through and admired all the cards several times over (this deck has taken me by storm with its beauty), but I have found that the times when the cards actually "scare" me or creep me out is when I see them within a spread and what they're actually saying to me.

The one that springs to mind first is The Sun! The first deck I did was my Deck Interview Spread, and the bottom card was The Sun. I read the bottom card as the underlying energies of the question, or the motivations behind the question. In this case, I saw the Sun as my need to find the best in this deck, but when I looked at this card, this boy was mocking me. I could hear his knowing little chuckle, saying to me, "Hah. You think this deck won't be as bad as all that... Oh, I'm going to enjoy this!"
EarthAngel2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008     Top   #3
HearthCricket 
Content and Chirping

Nice topic! Let me see... The scariest ones for me are:

The Hermit~He is so zomby-like and I would NOT want to run into him, ever!

Death~Obviously could be worse, but something about this image reminds me of the plague....

Judgement~Again, the horror of the fate of a human life. Pretty darn creepy!

Knight of Swords~Another personality I would not want to run into. It will be interesting when these darkest cards come up in personal readings!

The Empress~Who is the skeleton, anyhow???

10 of Wands~She looks so dark fairytale like, until you see her shadow and really wonder what is in those bags. I feel like she is a regular visitor to this castle. Unnerving, to say the least!

It's a rough journey, and a sad heart to travel it; and we must pass by Gimmerton Kirk to go that journey! We've braved its ghosts often together, and dared each other to stand among the graves and ask them to come. ~Emily Bronte; Wuthering Heights
HearthCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008     Top   #4
baba-prague 
Citizen

For me it's probably The Hermit because of a very strange experience I had around that card. Though I think this was about the whole deck rather than just one card, the whole thing seems focused on that hooded figure for me. There is, for me, an intensity to the image that isn't quite rational.

Tarot of Prague
Baroque Bohemian Cats' Tarot
Fairytale Tarot
Fantastic Menagerie Tarot
Victorian Flower Oracle
Victorian Romantic Tarot
Bohemian Gothic Tarot
Alice Tarot - 2013

Last edited by baba-prague; 02-01-2008 at 09:52.
baba-prague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008     Top   #5
faunabay 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HearthCricket
Judgement~Again, the horror of the fate of a human life. Pretty darn creepy!
Judgement was another one I creepy. Just not quite as much as the other I listed. I did think to include it in my list, but decided it wasn't quite as scary to me.
The guy being raised again doesn't really look like he wants to! eek! Brought back to life went you didn't want to be. It also looks like it might be painful too!

Old 02-01-2008     Top   #6
firefrost 
Carpathian Dream

I'm scared of the woman on the Nine of Pentacles. I don't trust her, I think she's mad. I think anyone disagreeing with her will be very sorry!

The Magician scares me. I'm being a hypocrite I think, with this one because The Magician is my favourite card in most decks, and this one is no exception but I mean, he's a master vampire...he can control me...

After studying The Fool, I'm wondering just how innocent the kid actually is...potentially very unnerving...

The Two of Pentacles - What happened to her other leg? How does she ride the bike with just one? Is it tucked under her skirt? She's hiding it well, if it is!

Page of Swords - That stone angel behind her looks fed-up and I'm sure it's filling the Pages head with bad ideas...

Ten of Pentacles - I wish the couple would run away from that guy in the house!

The Empress - Too creepy!

The Devil's pure evil.

All cards with children on! The Dark Side is not a place for them, yet here they are, seemingly enjoying it...

And finally (for now!) The Ten of Cups - The children have their eyes closed, maybe communicating together - the parents look very concerned...

'Everyone's a critic' - jackdaw*

SOOD

Keeper of the Spicey Wedges
Keeper of the Application Forms
firefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008     Top   #7
Baroli 
Citizen

What a cool thread and topic. For me the scariest card is the Lovers. To think that you could love or not have a choice to give yourself over to someone who could control you, and literally suck the life out of you,....sends chills up my spine just thinking about it.

The other is the Devil, enjoying the addiction to the point of it becoming a love interest. Think about it, it could be an addiction to money, shopping, drugs, food, sex, (well maybe not sex ), but anything that you could loose your soul to for the enjoyment of it. Very chilling indeed.

I find it interesting that with some of us like myself, view the cards as mental or a feeling. That scary portion of the ressesses of our minds that give life to the concepts. While others who view the deck, are more frightened of their physical implications. Sort of like the ethereal versus the physical. Neither one is wrong or right. This is very cool.

Baroli

'As Eckhart Tolle said I lived with many spiritual teachers, all of them were cats...' MDR
Baroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008     Top   #8
Master_Margarita 
Citizen

Great thread.

The Knight of Swords, but only because I used to date him.

M_M~

--Mikhail Bulgakov, Master and Margarita

IDS: Fairytale (MRP) Oracle: Deck of Curious Design
Master_Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008     Top   #9
Baroli 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Margarita
Great thread.

The Knight of Swords, but only because I used to date him.

M_M~

That's priceless!!!

Baroli

'As Eckhart Tolle said I lived with many spiritual teachers, all of them were cats...' MDR
Baroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008     Top   #10
  post a reply

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today