There was a special edition of the Gilded Tarot?

scheherazade

I was just looking over the Gilded Tarot's Aeclectic page, and I saw mention, for the first time, of a limited/special edition. Just my luck, I'm sure they're all sold out by now! *green with envy* Would anyone be able to tell me what the special edition is like?

*Note: sorry if this is an inappropriate thread for a study group of this deck... I just didn't know where else to put it!

scheherazade

Oh gosh, if only I'd known... I would have jumped on it...

midniteeye

is it the hand made version that ciro marchetti printed off his laserjet?

scheherazade

Yes, it was. I couldn't get an idea from the pictures posted in that thread as to whether the print quality was better in the limited edition than it was in the mass produced... I can only assume that it was. I also couldn't get a good idea of the size of the deck...

lunakasha

scheherazade said:
Yes, it was. I couldn't get an idea from the pictures posted in that thread as to whether the print quality was better in the limited edition than it was in the mass produced... I can only assume that it was. I also couldn't get a good idea of the size of the deck...

The size of the cards was pretty much the same as the mass-produced version (I think) except that the cards were much thicker, very durable but tricky to shuffle because of the thickness (about 3-4 times the thickness of a standard deck!). They had a nice, satin-matte finish, and the colors were much more vibrant. I will see if I can find a better description somewhere....the deck was completely hand-made~ printed, cut and assembled by Ciro himself.

:) Luna

EDITED TO ADD: Some reviews of the special edition should provide more details:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gilded/review.shtml#33

souljourney

Don't miss out again

Don't miss the Limited Edition of his new deck...

I'm not sure where I'll come up with the money... but I want it bad!!!

Of course I still have to get ToD before it goes OOP.

The 78th Fool

There were 200 of the limited edition decks printed. I have no.34. Compared to the commercial edition, the colour reproduction is stunning. This isn't to belittle Llewellyn who did a fantastic job on the standard version but the limited editions were printed on a high end, 8 colour archival inkjet printer. The images therefore have a much wider tonal range and come nearer to what Ciro created 'on screen'.

He also personalised each of these decks with individual dedication cards but, more importantly, he 'doctored' a lot of the cards, building in various individual alterations for each deck. On my deck, the Strength maiden wears crimson, not grey. The High Priestess is dressed in aqua blue, not white. The Star shows a five pointed, not an eight pointed star and there are numerous other alterations to several of the minor arcana.

As Luna pointed out, the cards are a lot thicker than normal ones - more akin to beer mats! This just seems apt however for something so unique. The satin lamination is glorious to feel.

The deck came wrapped in gold foil in it's own black presentation box. It also came with a personalised certificate. This remains and always will be one of my most cherished posessions. It also reads beautifully!

Chris. xx

scheherazade

souljourney said:

Oh believe me, I preordered and got an email that my special edition Legacy of the Divine Tarot deck is in the mail right now! Definitely not missing out on that. But I think I'm always going to be a little pouty that I never got one of the special edition Gilded Tarot decks. I didn't even know who Ciro Marchetti was at the time that they were out. And I'm even more pouty that an AT member had only a few days ago put up their SE Gilded Tarot for sale and I missed that too... Well, anyway, thanks for the descriptions everyone!

midniteeye

souljourney said:

I'm not sure where I'll come up with the money... but I want it bad!!!

Of course I still have to get ToD before it goes OOP.

if you are interested in getting tarot of dreams, then better grab it now. ciro already said that because he needs to concentrate on legacy of the divine tarot, he is no longer printing tarot of dream, and if it sells at its normal pace, then his inventory will be gone before this year is over.