high priest

Kaleidoscope Eyes

In a word: Intuition.

(Cf., just for example, Isaiah 30:21)

Keslynn

Diana said:

I think it is such a shame to get blocked just by a word. I learned Tarot with the Marseilles decks, so this card is, and always will be in my mind "the Pope". I do not personally connect it in any way to a church or any particular religious beliefs. When Tarot was invented, the best way to get the message across to people of this "connecting link between outer experience and inner illumination" (to quote Major Tom) was to put a Pope on the card. It's the message that is important, not the picture nor the name.

It is also a lesson in tolerance. And God only knows how badly tolerance is needed in the world today.

Very well said, Diana!

:) Kes

Tarotphelia

Ming-
Please start a thread if you can, to tell us about the ins & outs of Irish traveler tarot ! Sounds very interesting.

Tarotphelia

ming

well since my family were irish/highland scots, combined with a spanish bit---im catholic! but thats neither here nor there with the tarot. i still, even after all your help, have problems with this pain of a card ! its not got any CLEAR meaning to me.theres always one ,isnt there!

divinerguy

I like Sorceress Jade's concept of the analogue to the Crone aspect.

I see the Hierophant as embodying those characteristics we would universally find in a male religious counselor - wisdom, empathy, moral teaching.

Reversed, it would describe negative aspects of the clergy; jugmentalism, abuses of the title, arrogance, ego issues, immorality.

I see the High Preistess as almost a female Hierophant. However, I see her negative qualities differing slightly from those of the Hierophant - but that's another thread.

ming

Although I can never get a clear sense of what it means, when Im reading & get this card, I tell people this means that things will be made clear to them...that there will be a way & it will be shown to them. But all the meanings you take on this in the posts above---I would give / share with the high priestess, my card special to me which I love.....maybe too many high -ups spoil the broth ????? !

Tarotphelia

In my experience of the Heirophant/high priest, he represents the spiritually enlightened man. If this your doctor's card, this is the one you want- he will be kind caring, compassionate and very concerned with justice and doing things correctly for you. He may have help from the other realms in his work. Very moral.He cannot be bought.

This card can also represent a teacher, a man of authority in religion or academia in general. He wants to give his wisdom to the world and lead others to higher development.

Depending on the position of the card & the surrounding cards, it can represent a spiritual marriage - a true joining of souls on a higher moral plane.

Inverted can mean a man whose spirituality is blocked or immature, an unusual type that might not fit in anywhere. Sometimes symbolizes impotence. A stickler for rules & rigid ideas, even if they are not correct. A poor teacher, false teachings, untrustworthy.

Tarotphelia

pozt

...Just like to ask: would the reversed high priest mean the opposite of the above mentioned attributes??