Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Thoth Tarot and a Magical Career

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot


 
thorhammer's Avatar
thorhammer  thorhammer is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 Sep 2007
Location: Running
Posts: 19,764
thorhammer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by similia
It is actually a really interesting read, though I admit to having skipped large sections (though others I have read repeatedly). It is a bit bigger than the phone book after all, with smallish print.

When I first bought it, I opened to the section on the Wand, expecting a "how to make" guide for ritual implements. Instead I got the best thing Crowley ever published on the suit of Wands, though he wasn't discussing tarot at all. But if your key interest is the tarot (as I know yours is) then it's not the book for you.

I reponse to your initial question, I'm not a member of the OTO, or a Thelemite, however I appreciate and am interested in their philosophy. I use the Thoth tarot for readings primarily, secondarily as a meditation tool, or bedside table decoration if there is something I want to keep fresh in my mind. Occasionally I use individual cards ritually as talismans.

Oh, and very occasionally as a card game
I'm interested in this book now, similia I must hunt a copy down . . . when finances allow

\m/ Kat
Top   #11
Grigori's Avatar
Grigori  Grigori is offline
formerly similia
 
Join Date: 11 Dec 2004
Location: Aussie boy, born and bred
Posts: 7,658
Grigori 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhammer
And if such discussion is not *allowed*, then I'd appreciate someone telling me that.
Those sort of discussions are the reason for having a Thoth forum, and the possibilities hopefully expanded by the recent creation of the Golden Dawn sub-forum, where the magical approaches to tarots of related original are welcomed as well as the non-tarot aspects of those traditions. The GD-sub forum was created to make such discussions possible, outside of the confines of the Spirituality forum, which is focussed in other areas/practices. Thelema specific conversation are best in the Thoth section, various Golden Dawn related magical approaches can go in the GD sub-forum.

It would be great to have new Thoth students posting threads with questions. There are I think currently a small number of people with a lot of experience in those areas, and of course they are all busy people so aren't here all the time starting threads designed to teach the rest of us. But a few meaty discussions on the actual deck would I think be like honey to a bee (I hope)
Top   #12
Rosanne's Avatar
Rosanne  Rosanne is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 08 Dec 2004
Location: North Auckland,New Zealand
Posts: 5,917
Rosanne 

Thats OK Thorhammer! This is for you and the others who asked exactly the same things as you. You are right- I am not interested in this avenue as much as others seem to be- horses for courses and all that. Much of what Aeon418 has replied I do with Tarot anyway. Just a different emphasis. Thanks for your reply Aeon418 - it pleases me there is only a perceived silence on these things- it is not a reality. (No secret society of hocus pocus- that is a male only/ female only domain- commonly referred to as the Boy's Club or the Woo Woo Sisterhood) If magical practice is your thing with Tarot- the information should be here somewhere with all the expertise on the forum.
My march is to a different drum- I want people to stop believing that Tarot is used by crazy people, social misfits and con artists. That's the magic I am looking for.... so debunking spells you can pass on to me.
Travel well in your quest.
~Rosanne
Top   #13
Aeon418's Avatar
Aeon418  Aeon418 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,342
Aeon418 

Quote:
Originally Posted by similia
It is actually a really interesting read, though I admit to having skipped large sections (though others I have read repeatedly). It is a bit bigger than the phone book after all, with smallish print.
Similia, have you noticed that part 3 of Book IV (Magick in Theory and Practice) contains 22 chapters? An important number and a major clue to any Tarot reader exploring that book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by similia
When I first bought it, I opened to the section on the Wand, expecting a "how to make" guide for ritual implements. Instead I got the best thing Crowley ever published on the suit of Wands, though he wasn't discussing tarot at all.
You've just hit the nail on the head as to why it is often difficult to fully explain the Thoth. Quite often the ideas behind the cards appear to have absolutely nothing in common with the cards themselves. The chapter on the Wand, that you just mentioned, is full of stuff about the Magical Will, Oaths, Magical Discipline, One pointedness, concentration practices, Samadhi, etc. On the surface they appear to have nothing in common. But they are all aiming at the same target. The same target which is represented in tarot as the suit of Wands and the metaphysical element of Fire.
Top   #14
Grigori's Avatar
Grigori  Grigori is offline
formerly similia
 
Join Date: 11 Dec 2004
Location: Aussie boy, born and bred
Posts: 7,658
Grigori 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418
Similia, have you noticed that part 3 of Book IV (Magick in Theory and Practice) contains 22 chapters? An important number and a major clue to any Tarot reader exploring that book.
haha I did not notice that myself I must admit, but it was pointed out to me previously and I was embaressed then also. Part 2 & 3 I have read in detail and repeatedly referred to, supplemented by other books by "modern" authors. I bought Book4 when my interest moved to the more magical topics, so they were the sections I was immediately interested in studying.

Part 1 I have skimmed/skipped as I know little about yoga, and felt that I would benefit from a flesh and blood class to begin with. Finding such a class is on my to-do-list.... still.... Though I understand that skipping the beginning part and jumping to the middle is not what is generally recommended.

Part 4 on the Book of Law I have only read through, am still working on understanding it, especially the later parts. The first part from Nuit has been the area I've more easily related to the Tarot and my own experiences. I'm allowing myself another couple of years to work on that bit though also
Top   #15
Aeon418's Avatar
Aeon418  Aeon418 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,342
Aeon418 

0 The Magical Theory of the Universe. - The Fool

I The Principles of Ritual. - The Magus

II The Formulae of the Elemental Weapons. - The Priestess

III The Formula of Tetragrammaton. - The Empress

IV The Formula of Alhim: also that of Alim. - The Star

V The Formula of I. A. O. - The Hierophant

VI The Formula of the Neophyte. - The Lovers

VII The Formula of the Holy Graal, of Abrahadabra, and of Certain Other Words; with some remarks on the Magical Memory. - The Chariot

VIII Of Equilibrium: and of the General and Particular Method of Preparation of the Furniture of the Temple and the Instruments of Art. - Adjustment

IX Of Silence and Secrecy: and of the Barbarous names of Evocation. - The Hermit

X Of the Gestures. - Fortune

XI Of Our Lady BABALON and of The Beast whereon she rideth: also concerning Transformations. - Lust

XII Of the Bloody Sacrifice and Matters Cognate. - The Hanged Man

XIII Of the Banishings, and of the Purifications. - Death

XIV Of the Consecrations: with an Account of the Nature and Nurture of the Magical Link. - Art

XVI (1) Of the Oath. - The Tower (Binding restriction)

XV Of the Invocation. The Devil

XVI (2) Of the Charge to the Spirit: with some Account of the Constraints and Curses occasionally necessary. - The Tower (Blasted Tower)

XVII Of the License to Depart. - The Emperor

XVIII Of Clairvoyance: and of the Body of Light, its Powers and its Development. Also concerning Divinations. - The Moon

XIX Of Dramatic Rituals. - The Sun

XX Of the Eucharist: and of the Art of Alchemy. - The Aeon

XXI Of Black Magick: of the Main Types of the Operations of Magick Art: and of the Powers of the Sphinx. - The Universe
Top   #16
thorhammer's Avatar
thorhammer  thorhammer is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 Sep 2007
Location: Running
Posts: 19,764
thorhammer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by similia
It would be great to have new Thoth students posting threads with questions. There are I think currently a small number of people with a lot of experience in those areas, and of course they are all busy people so aren't here all the time starting threads designed to teach the rest of us. But a few meaty discussions on the actual deck would I think be like honey to a bee (I hope)
I absolutely realise that they're busy people, of course, and don't expect a whole teaching course.

I'll endeavour to write down all the thousands of questions that pop into my head while reading Crowley, and boil them down to a few intelligent ones to post in here as I go. I hope it draws a crowd, too

\m/ Kat
Top   #17
thorhammer's Avatar
thorhammer  thorhammer is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 Sep 2007
Location: Running
Posts: 19,764
thorhammer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne
My march is to a different drum- I want people to stop believing that Tarot is used by crazy people, social misfits and con artists. That's the magic I am looking for.... so debunking spells you can pass on to me.
Travel well in your quest.
~Rosanne
I promise to pass on all debunking spells that I come across

\m/ Kat
Top   #18
thorhammer's Avatar
thorhammer  thorhammer is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 Sep 2007
Location: Running
Posts: 19,764
thorhammer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418
You've just hit the nail on the head as to why it is often difficult to fully explain the Thoth. Quite often the ideas behind the cards appear to have absolutely nothing in common with the cards themselves. The chapter on the Wand, that you just mentioned, is full of stuff about the Magical Will, Oaths, Magical Discipline, One pointedness, concentration practices, Samadhi, etc. On the surface they appear to have nothing in common. But they are all aiming at the same target. The same target which is represented in tarot as the suit of Wands and the metaphysical element of Fire.
And that's the kind of insight I'm talking about! See, now I know to read that section of that book with half a mind on the Wands . . . thanks, Aeon and similia

Aeon - I realise that this isn't something that can be directly explained, and as such I'm not looking for a guru. I'm not after sitting at someone's feet, soaking up their wisdom . . . it's discussion I'm after, and bouncing ideas back and forth, just like this. And that list of books and their correspondence to cards is awesome. Thanks

\m/ Kat
Top   #19
sapienza's Avatar
sapienza  sapienza is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Oct 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,680
sapienza 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhammer
There are some really fantastic posts in this forum, which have highlighted to me the depths possible. I'd really like to see some more open discussion of this topic, where people like myself (and if I may, sapienza? ) may begin to learn more about the deck.
Thanks Kat. I'm also feeling very new and rather overwhelmed just now. Despite working with tarot for over ten years, since picking up the Thoth I feel like a complete beginner again.....which is both scary and exciting I follow the threads in this forum but seldom contribute because I feel that I have nothing of much value to add. I'm pleased there are a few other 'new to Thoth' people around (Kat ) just now.
Top   #20




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.