Who is Ra-Hoor-Khuit?

Aeon418

Infinite space is called the goddess NUIT, while the infinitely small and atomic yet omnipresent point is called HADIT. These are unmanifest. One conjunction of these infinites is called RA-HOOR-KHUIT, a unity which includes and heads all things.

Book 4: Part 3 - Magick and Theory and Practice.
Quite what the ancient Egyptians would make of that I have no idea.

Abrac

Crowley was faced with a challenge on this one from the get-go. A lot of things start to make sense when you realize his translator translated the hieroglyphs for Akh as Khu. This was common back then. Budge (a primary source at that time) frequently translates it this way and says it means "spirit." The actual word khu can mean a lot of things in ancient Egyptian, most of them fairly mundane.

Crowley's concept of Khu (Akh) - as in "The Khabs is in the Khu" - bears a resemblance to the subtle body or the etheric. This is akin to the Egyptian Akh in that they are both "luminous", but knowing what is now know about the Akh, I would say this is where the similarity ends.

Rosanne

Hi Abrac!
The point I was making earlier is that would it not be more likely that Crowley meant this.....
http://www.egyptianmyths.net/ka.htm

The Ka of Ra and Horus in the night(nuit) or unseen Ra- The Spirit of Ra.
Ra- Hoor.......Kah-uit.
It seems a likely scenario.
~Rosanne

Aeon418

Qabalistic names. Not Egyptian.

Looking to ancient Egypt for the background to the Thelemic deity names is all well and good, but it misses one big fundamental point. The deity names are primarily qabalistic.

Ra Hoor - RA HVVR - 418

Ra Hoor Khu - RA HVVR KV - 444

Ra Hoor Khut - RA HVVR KVT - 453

Ra Hoor Khuit - RA HVVR KVIT - 463

Rosanne

Thanks for that Aeon!
~Rosanne

Aeon418

Rosanne said:
463 = Tav-Samekh-Gimel, the three Paths of the Middle Pillar on the Tree of Life.

463 = MTH HShQD (A Rod of Almond = the Middle Pillar).

Rosanne

OK I get the Tav=400, Samech=60, Gimel =3 =463
The middle pillar Mildness,Devotion, the Present, Rod of Almond- OK
...but everyone seems to have different paths assigned to letters.
Where you cite Samech- I have seen Resh. Where you cite Gimmel I have seen Dalet......and so it goes on.
Back to the question. Who is Ra-Hoor-Khuit? Who is the Giver of the Light/ Law?
=Ra?
~Rosanne

Grigori

Rosanne said:
...but everyone seems to have different paths assigned to letters.
Where you cite Samech- I have seen Resh. Where you cite Gimmel I have seen Dalet......and so it goes on.

Except that alternate systems play no relevance in Thelema, as the Book of Law specifically says the qabalistic attributions of the Golden Dawn are correct, except for Tzaddi which Crowley swapped with Heh for his tarot. This makes the Book of Thoth attributions the only Thelemically correct ones in the context of Ra Hoor Kuit, a Thelemic deity. I'm of the opinion that other systems are just as valid, but not in this context.

PS for those reading who are unclear about the reference, the Rod of Almond is a reference to Moses' staff, and also the recommended wood for the wand of the magician in some systems.

Rosanne

Thanks Similia! Tis why I do not think Tarot is Kabbalastic- but you can make it so.
So is this Thelemic deity is a combination Ra-Horus + ??????

~Rosanne

Abrac

The entity on the Stele is Ra-Har-Akht, an Egyptian symbol of eternal life.

Crowley conceptualized it as Horus the Warrior (Earlier in this thread I explain how he arrived at this conclusion). Nuit and Hadit are universal archetypes, but Crowley sees "Ra-Hoor-Khuit" as an actual God. He is the outward manifestation of Aiwass. He comes across as tyrannical and somewhat like the Old Testament Lawgiver.