Magic symbols on the seven of swords - HELP

Gardener

I just wanted to second the thanks given to Firemaiden for starting this thread. Without her question about the symbols on the hilt, we wouldn't have this discussion about the balance of elements implied by the locations of the symbols - which planet on which hilt. It's a complex set of ideas, and I have learned a lot from the replies exploring the correlations. Simple questions are a great way to launch exciting conversations!

tmgrl2

Ditto to thanks to everyone on this thread...I printed it out for my study of Thoth when I get there....it's very informative.

terri

Emily

Before reading this thread, I didn't really realise just how many symbols were used that I couldn't identify - alot of the cards show astrological symbols or signs of the Zodiac - so from now on when I study the Thoth, I am going to take notice lol - so Firemaiden, thanks for starting this :)

Minderwiz

I agree, Firemaiden raised a very interesting issue and one which requires some thought and consideration to answer. These are just the sort of threads that foster our learning as individuals and as a community.

Thanks Firemaiden.

firemaiden

Wow, thank you all for your kind comments. :)

Dean

U.k

the seven of swords reason fails when confronted by one's inner feelings.

hank

7 of Swords

Hello. I discovered this thread while searching on the 7 of Swords because I have a fascination with this card and have meditated on it. I was intrigued by this notion of a "planetary battle." However, I believe that it is Venus which is in opposition to the other planets. With the possibility of Mars siding with Venus. I agree with the previous posts about the Moon as the highest point, a focal point, dividing line-as if torn between both banks of the river. Crowley did meditations on the Enochian system and the Moon being highest complements the Enochian sabbath as Monday. I have often thought about what the planetary battle could be about, and a reoccurring idea for me is an issuance for Earth. Perhaps Venus, given the compassionate and sympathetic magic of the planet entity, wants to give Earth and humankind another chance despite the damaging ways of living we have affected on our environment. I think Mars sides with Venus based on loyalty rather than necessarily the same compassion. Their togetherness is magnetic like the 2 swords off-set in this card. The esoteric titles for this card are the Lord of Shortened Force or the Lord of Unstable Effort, which does denote the epic opposition. However, the contrarities exist when considering the meaning of cunning and wit being attributed to this card.Also, A.E. Waite calls this a good card as well furthering the seemingly disparate meanings. I think the keyword that Waite gives is "competence." That is, in the face of outnumbered adversary the true wit and cunning grow and are unleashed, and only with such circumstance/pressure to make such action necessary could the cleverness have come out. Waite says the card denotes a dark girl to achieve the good country life after competence has been assured. I think this card can represent how bad things do happen to good people sometimes, if only to prove really how good they are.These are just some of my ideas/thoughts on this card, and I am really grateful for firemaiden's curiosity to open this card for discussion. I think curiosity is a positive thing and should not be discouraged really ever. Many thanks.

13scorpio78

the six swords are attacking the one, each one symbolises a way we attack our inner desire, we can't, it's to hard, it won't work,... each planet symbolises an aspect of ourself ; love, creativity, comunication, energy, flexibility,... the sword in the middle, sun and moon is the desire of a transformation, the will to change something in our life or in who we are.
ofcourse there are more then one meanings to each card.

Yygdrasilian

Pyramids

Futility is overcome in Valour when you ride the Spiral,
but there is more to this recipe than what meets the Eye.

................7 cups....>>............
.........^^........................7......
.........7...........XVI........disks....
....swords..............7.....vv........
........^^............wands............
.........VII................................

I hear thunder....
\
/
\
/
\
/
\
<link removed by moderator>

ravenest

hank said:
I was intrigued by this notion of a "planetary battle." However, I believe that it is Venus which is in opposition to the other planets. With the possibility of Mars siding with Venus. ... I have often thought about what the planetary battle could be about, and a reoccurring idea for me is an issuance for Earth. Perhaps Venus, given the compassionate and sympathetic magic of the planet entity, wants to give Earth and humankind another chance despite the damaging ways of living we have affected on our environment. I think Mars sides with Venus based on loyalty rather than necessarily the same compassion.

using some mythological ideas as expressed by Crowley in the Rites of Eleusis and a bit of old fashioned magical correspondence enlightened by modern 'scientific' discoveries we can construct the following.

Firstly, like all major battles and problems the issue is with our perception.
Venus can be equated to; the color green, the ocean, the abundance and fertilitly of life, love, nature, vegetation, etc.

Now go goole some pictures of Venus; hot, acrid humid atmosphere ... poison environment, toxic gasses, 'mettalic' snows. run-away greenhouse effect.

What should 'Venus' be named in light of the magical correspondence? Obviously, Vulcan ... the god of Blacksmits (technology and the resultant pollution).

What planet has "the color green, the ocean, the abundance and fertilitly of life, love, nature, vegetation, etc." ... Earth .... 'Earth' IS 'Venus'.

Coming out from the Sun we have 'Venus' (Vulcan), 'Earth' (Venus) and Mars (Mars). 'Earth' is in the middle or between the other two (in orbit).

Mars ... the god and planet of most things testosterone ... war, battle, conflict, victory, fighting, triumph, contention ... etc.

So what does poor old Earth/Venus do? Just as in mythology she is drawn between Vulcan (her husband) and Mars (her 'fling') ... stability Vs. 'juice'. ;)

We dont look within and in front of us to see the beauty and feel the love ... we are always hunting outside ... we dont appreciate the 'Earth' for what it is and what it has to offer ... we see 'Venus' as 'out there somewhere' not something we can have right away, right here.

So what do we (poor old planet Earth) do, we spend or time flirting with Vulcan and Mars ... polluting technology on one hand and war and conflict on the other.