Gem show finds :)

Deanne

I went to another gem show today (had a blast, as always!)

Here are a few of my favourites from the pieces I picked up:
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o627/JacTee/Apr7c.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o627/JacTee/Apr7d.jpg

The opal is very cracked and broken, but I chose this one any way - I love how you can see deep into the cracks through the translucent side.

Had never heard of mugglestone, but liked the look and loved the name, so had to pick up a piece. Turns out it's Tiger eye and hematite (and sometimes red jasper, but not in mine). I like the combination of those :)

And finally gave in and splurged on a malachite (the price has always turned me off before)

I also got many stones from the cheap 'fill a bag' area (got about 35 for $6!) Have identified most of them but would love some help with these last few:
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o627/JacTee/Apr7b.jpg

(The 2 on the right - solved - Lake Superior Agate)
- The one at the back is white and blue/green marbled together - but has little specks like aventurine. Can aventurine be mixed colours like that? Or does something else have those flecks? **Think this might be amazonite - can that have the little flecks?
(The brown one - solved - simply brown/yellow jasper)
- The one at the front left reminds me of my aquamarine, but is a deep olive colour **Leaning towards moss agate for this
- The one in the centre is completely clear, and I can see all the way through - but has dark blue 'spots' just under the surface.
(brown/purple speckled one - solved - elephant skin jasper)
- And the stone on the far right has sort of a blue-grey marbled pattern (a bit tough to see, sorry for the glare). Any ideas?

Calayvie

Hi. Your crystals are beautiful :)

I was going to say the brown one looked a little like Mookaite (which can have light to deep pinkish colours in it too) and that is an Australian Jasper. So I wouldn't have been far off!

Could the deep olive one be bloodstone without any reddish colour?

I don't know crystals very well sorry.

Tiger Eye with hematite, I know it as Tiger Iron... Hang on, I think I do but I've just looked it up in my book and I can't find it ?! Anyway mugglestone sounds cool! :)

I can't see it very well in the pic but the greyish blue marbly one might be sodalite? I have a piece of sodalite that is quite flecked and marbled. I've seen other sodalite that looks quite beautifully defined in its colours of white and blue, different to my piece.
Or maybe blue quartz? (I'm browsing thru my crystal Bible now..Lol)

I hope someone else can help identify them. :)

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

JuniperPress

Tiger iron or mugglestone - it's the same thing:) So many crystals have a few different names to them. I'm not too certain what the rest are - the two reddish ones up top, I have a few of those too and I think it's probably just some kind of jasper. I think most of your stones look jasper-ish (though I'm sure they have other names too) with the exception of the middle one and the greenish one - the two most translucent ones. The middle one could be a tree agate but that's probably a stretch, it looks an agate though and so does the greenish one, but the greenish one might also be a prasiolite maybe? In any case, they are all very pretty:)

Deanne

I was going to say the brown one looked a little like Mookaite (which can have light to deep pinkish colours in it too) and that is an Australian Jasper. So I wouldn't have been far off!

Could the deep olive one be bloodstone without any reddish colour?

I can't see it very well in the pic but the greyish blue marbly one might be sodalite?
Or maybe blue quartz?

I've always been confused by mookaite - it seems like almost any piece of jasper could be that. So maybe this is, I don't know? I'm content calling it brown jasper though :)

The olive one looks quite different from the bloodstone I have. That said, my other bloodstone could be unusual. I'm still learning too!

The marbly one doesn't seem like sodalite to me. Blue quartz is possible, I'll look into that some more.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Tiger iron or mugglestone - it's the same thing:) So many crystals have a few different names to them.

the two reddish ones up top, I have a few of those too and I think it's probably just some kind of jasper.

The middle one could be a tree agate but that's probably a stretch, it looks an agate though and so does the greenish one, but the greenish one might also be a prasiolite maybe?

The multiple names for the same stone thing can be pretty annoying - makes this stuff more difficult to remember! I think I like the name mugglestone better than tiger iron, so I'll go with that :)

The reddish ones could be jasper. I was torn between that and agate. But they look exactly like a few pictures of some agate I found online, so I went with that. If anyone knows, how do you distinguish jasper and agate from each other? Texture, weight, anything like that?

I don't think the centre one is agate, pretty sure it's just clear quartz with some kind of blue inclusion. It's completely transparent, not just translucent.

Which green-ish one are you referring to? The dark one at the front or the pale one at the back? Neither of those are translucent at all, they're completely opaque (that can be hard to tell in my pic, sorry!) The dark one I think is an agate, though I was leaning towards moss over tree. The pale one might be amazonite, if it can have flecks like aventurine (this stone is full of them!)

celticnoodle

Beautiful finds!!!

I'll have to go through my stash as I have some labeled--if any look like the ones you're unsure of. Which one is the opal though? I LOVE opals--and it is my birthstone. So far the only opals I have are jewelry pieces purchased for me as gifts. (not knocking it though!)

What is the white stone in the first picture that is on the far left of the photo? I have one like that, but that is one of the crystals that I forgot to label and now have no idea what it is!

I love the name "Mugglestone". reminds me of Harry Potter, of course! :D

As for the Malachite--I LOVE them! I have a few of those, as a result. I love the design in them and pretty much each piece I own looks like it has a face in it. One that I have reminds me of a fish or a frog--I tend to lean towards it being a 'frog' though, due to the green color. :laugh: They are GREAT protectors, the malachite stones! They are also great emotional and heart healers. I love them! Next to the rose quartz, this just might be my favorite stone. Definitely in my top ten.

Thank you for sharing your crystal babies with us!

Deanne

What is the white stone in the first picture that is on the far left of the photo? I have one like that, but that is one of the crystals that I forgot to label and now have no idea what it is!

That's my opal. It doesn't have any 'fire' in it - I think it's too broken for that. The other sides are all opaque, and an off-white colour with a couple brown spots. I showed the translucent side as you can see the cracks that run through the stone there :)

Aster Breo

If anyone knows, how do you distinguish jasper and agate from each other? Texture, weight, anything like that?

Jasper and agate are very closely related, both being forms of microcrystalline quartz. In general, agates tend to have banded patterns, while jaspers tend to have splotchy patterns. Unfortunately, with small pieces, it can be difficult to discern the pattern.

Snowhunter

Seeing your malachite piece makes me regret not picking one up. Great finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

celticnoodle

That's my opal. It doesn't have any 'fire' in it - I think it's too broken for that. The other sides are all opaque, and an off-white colour with a couple brown spots. I showed the translucent side as you can see the cracks that run through the stone there :)

ah, I thought so, but wasn't sure. opals are wonderful stones too! So, just to share, though you may already know--its probably a white opal--

White Opal:

This stone is also known as 'milk' or 'milky' opals. White opals are primarily found in Southern Australia. White opals are distinguished by their pale white or light color tone. As with any kind of opal, white opals can display any color of the spectrum in a beautiful play of color and depending on the quality of the opal found, they can be worth quite a bit.

White opals are much more plentiful and common than other kinds of opal like black opal and boulder opal. Often white opals will have white potch (colorless opal) left on the back of the stone, however sometimes the entire stone will consist of colorful opal.
or...

Crystal Opal:

The term "crystal opal" refers to any kind of opal (i.e. black opal, white opal, semi-black opal) which has a transparent, translucent, or semi-translucent body. If light is able to pass through the stone, or you can see through an opal, then you are probably looking at a crystal opal.

However, boulder opals which have a layer of translucent opal are not referred to as crystal opals because of their opaque ironstone backing.

The translucence of a crystal opal often gives it a greater clarity and vibrancy of color than opaque stones. Pale colored crystal opals (white crystal opals) are generally more valuable than opaque white opals, and 'black crystal opals' can often have more beautiful color than opaque black opals.

and, in case you also don't know--these are their properties:

Opal is an emotional stone and reflects the mood of the wearer. It intensifies emotions and releases inhibitions. Encourages both freedom and independence. Opal enhances cosmic consciousness and induces psychic and mystical visions. It stimulates originality and creativity. Helps to release anger and claim self worth, aiding in accessing and expressing one’s true self. Opal strengthens memory. It encourages an interest in the arts. Wearing Opal brings loyalty, faithfulness and spontaneity.

Opal strengthens the will to live and treats infections and fevers. Purifying the blood and kidneys, Opal also regulates insulin. It eases childbirth and alleviates PMS.

A nice stone overall. One opal ring that I wear often is a very calming crystal and very soft. It often reminds me of my rose quartz, as its so calming and soft and nurturing.

Good Luck with all your beauties. I forgot to pull out my crsytals again to see if I can possibly identify some of what you picked up and don't know and now too tired to do so. :laugh: perhaps tomorrow!