IDS: The Thoth. (We are not afraid of you!)

missycab

Hello all!! :)

When I started studying the Thoth last year, I studied each card in order. I didn't get far... This time, I have shuffled the deck, and study one or two cards in a ramdom order. In this first phase, I'm only writing down the meanings of the cards, and its elements.

As I do with all my decks, I have chosen my favourite cards (not in order):

- Princess of disks
- The star
- The hermit
- Ace of disks
- 8 of disks
- The tower
- The universe
- 6 of cups
- Death

I've noticed that the suit I like the most is disks, while in the rest of my decks I prefer the swords.

mosaica

MariposAzl said:
Hi Everyone :)

I started studying the A.C. Thoth last week. I'm not officially doing an IDS, but I would love to post here to go along with my studies, if that's OK.

I purchased "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" by Lon Milo Duquette to go with it and I'm also using a journal. My plan is to get through the book and deck together card by card understanding all the symbolism and esoteric explanations offered by the book before I even attempt to read with the deck.

So far I've just looked at the deck card by card, then I read the first part of Duquette's book (so much info!!), now I'm on the second part of the book that actually begins going over the individual cards.

Welcome, Mari!

I'm several chapters into the Duquette book, too. I haven't gotten to the card section yet, but when I do, I think I'm going to follow it card by card. Until then, I'm doing daily draws, which I'll continue. If I can find the time for two cards per day then, I'd like to have a daily draw card and a study card.

I have done a couple of readings with the deck and I was pleased with them, but they were pretty elementary. I have a few other deck-related books, so I just plugged in some key words from them for the readings. I'm loving how all the cards look together in a reading, with all the bright and beautiful colors!

Mosaica

PeterS

mosaica said:
I'm several chapters into the Duquette book, too. I haven't gotten to the card section yet, but when I do, I think I'm going to follow it card by card.

It seems like we are all reading throught the Duquette book. I have been wading though the Rosy Cross, the Tree of Life and Guardian Angel sections. I am now just ready to get to the cards. I think that I am going to read through the cards one by one and then journal about them each. Focusing on how this book enlightens my current notions of the cards.

Peter

franniee

Hi All.... Thanks missycab for opening this thread.

I am doing the ids with the thoth. I have the small one in my pocketbook and the large one near me at home. I have a notebook and the duquette book.

My plan is to get thru the duquette book fast since I want to get up to speed with the images. I would like to have it read by sunday.

Last night I went thru the cards and looked at them. There are some very lovely cards. I've been reading with the LS deck and I recognized a number of the images from that. I also have the liber T but felt I should tackle the thoth first before I move to the liber T.

I pulled a few cards... to see how it will go... I am better being active in study then passive and merely reading.

Anyway so far so good..... I hope :heart:

PeterS

franniee said:
I also have the liber T but felt I should tackle the thoth first before I move to the liber T.

Franniee,

I am actually going the other way around. I am using the Liber T to understand the Thoth. I like the art better on the Liber T and so I am able to look at it and just study the Thoth. The small cards (as Duquette calls them) will have to be understood first as Thoth cards.

So I guess acutally I am going the same route you are just with the Liber T cards in my hands.

Peter

mosaica

franniee said:
My plan is to get thru the duquette book fast since I want to get up to speed with the images. I would like to have it read by sunday.

Last night I went thru the cards and looked at them. There are some very lovely cards. I've been reading with the LS deck and I recognized a number of the images from that. I also have the liber T but felt I should tackle the thoth first before I move to the liber T.

I pulled a few cards... to see how it will go... I am better being active in study then passive and merely reading.

Franniee, me too -- the LS lead me to the Thoth, which is leading me to the Liber T, but I want to get a handle on the Thoth first. I just finished reading part one of Duquette, and now I'm trying to decide how I want to deal with card study. I've been drawing one card a day, but I'd prefer to experience the cards together. I love how the colors interact in this deck. I was thinking of going through the cards in order with the book, but I think that method will try my patience and (like you say) feel too passive. I like your idea of the shadow card, so perhaps I'll do a "light and shadow" reading each day, with the top and bottom cards. Thanks for the idea!

Mosaica

franniee

PeterS said:
Franniee,

I am actually going the other way around. I am using the Liber T to understand the Thoth. I like the art better on the Liber T and so I am able to look at it and just study the Thoth. The small cards (as Duquette calls them) will have to be understood first as Thoth cards.

So I guess acutally I am going the same route you are just with the Liber T cards in my hands.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I actually dug the decks up and took a long look at them - figured I would go thoth to liber T but the liber T is on my dresser and once I get thru the duquette book I plan on working thru Scion's dissertation and checking the liber T out as well. They seem similar... but first I want to really get into the thoth. I've been wanting to do this for quite sometime. I need the concentration. :)

I was unsettled at first. I kept getting the 5 of cups and 5 of pents :( but I kept shuffling and I got some lighter cards - they'll speak to me, I just need to focus a bit more than I would with an RWS clone. :)

Cool!
f

Star-Willow

Hi everyone, franniee just sent me a PM and kindly alerted me to this thread, so thanks for that franniee :heart:

Thanks for gettting it up and running too, missycab :)

I got my deck for christmas and I was so happy to have it in my hands finally after wanting it for a while..... as I looked through it I thought "ah, what am I to do with this?" It kind of took me back a bit because it had so much *stuff* in the images, symbols and numbers and colours....... but I am determined and am really glad and thankful to thorhammer for initiating the whole IDS in the first place, because seriously I never would have gotten this involved with the deck on such an intense level......

I started my IDS with my Thoth on the Autumn Equinox in my country (20th March) and it really was a great day for me...... I drew the Sun as a random daily and to me this card is one of the *warmest* cards in the deck..... the colours and the imagery all give me the feeling of joy and happiness which tied in well with that day because being a Thursday, it is the 1 day a week that I get to do what I want because I am child-free for the day :)

I am studying the Majors first, in sequence and then I will go onto the Minors, working with a card per day and also I will draw a random daily card.... so far so good, I am really enjoying looking at the images and gleaning what I can and then going through both Duquette's book and Aleister's BoT.... Lon Milo's book is a great read but Aleister's is mindboggling and I have said that already today in the support thread..... it is definatley a book that will have to be read over and over ;)

I will check here daily to see how everyone is going and I would love to share my thoughts with you all.....

I wish you all a great learning journey with your deck and that you get much from it :)

:heart:
star*

franniee

mosaica said:
Franniee, me too -- the LS lead me to the Thoth, which is leading me to the Liber T, but I want to get a handle on the Thoth first. I just finished reading part one of Duquette, and now I'm trying to decide how I want to deal with card study. I've been drawing one card a day, but I'd prefer to experience the cards together. I love how the colors interact in this deck. I was thinking of going through the cards in order with the book, but I think that method will try my patience and (like you say) feel too passive. I like your idea of the shadow card, so perhaps I'll do a "light and shadow" reading each day, with the top and bottom cards. Thanks for the idea!

Mosaica

Hi Mosaica,

Your welcome! :)

I looked thru each card last night and studied them but for me I need to throw myself into reading with them to really understand them. I like to draw a few cards and watch them interact. In addition to the light and shadow I am doing three card readings - well I am doing any reading I have to do with it... :bugeyed: LOL

Star Willow

you are welcome too! :D This is going to be fun.

:heart:

missycab

Welcome Mosaica! I had a similar reaction when I saw my deck... it was too much information! A beautiful deck, but I felt I wasn't ready for it.

I'm taking it slowly. I am still writing the meanings of the cards in my journal. I have also read a bit about elemental dignities... I'm not sure if I will use them or not. I may try a reading with them, but first I have to learn more!

Wow, franniee!!! 3 card readings! :thumbsup: Way to go!