How do you do an effective reading for yourself?

raistlynne

Ohh boy, haven't we all struggled with this one? :) I agree with everyone so far in part. I wish I could read for myself the way I can read for strangers, but it feels different. When I'm in need of help, I might lay out a three card spread and meditate on that, but I find I can't read more complex spreads for myself. When I've tried, I have found that I'm no longer "reading" but picking at straws, trying to make everything "fit." When I read for others its a totally different feeling. As for how often I read for myself, I never truly thought of it before. But, now that I think about it, I'd say no more than once a month.

Osher

I would often have difficulty understanding what the cards were saying (or refusing to accept what they were saying :D ). So I'd try another spread.

Sounds too much like me for comfort ! However, do you think that we can read for ourselves too much ?

Original Destiny

Hi All,I dont try to do full readings for myself but I do use one card insights at regular intervals. When going to bed I sometimes draw one card to see the theme of the following day.this I find helpful.I also use Runes drawn in a similar way. Not only does this give you a guide for the day,it allows you to think about that particular card throughout the day building up your insight into the cards meanings.Start small,one card at a time and gain confidence ,then you will find your own way

nexyjo

well, i pull a daily card, and in one sense, i consider those readings for myself. but i use them more as a focus, or just something to ponder, rather than a "prediction". when i do a reading for myself, which is rare, i am usually way off. i once pulled a three card spread - the question was something like "how do things look for me and my boyfriend", and i pulled temperance, the lovers, and the two of cups. i was sooooo happy, until later that week, when he dumped me. go figure.

so when i do readings for myself, i take them with a grain of salt, and tend to look at them as how i feel, rather than trends outside myself.

luv and light,
nexy

bec

An effective reading for yourself ? well I quess that depends on what you mean by "effective".

I believe the cards and the answers are always effective - accurate is the word I would use instead.

The question is - are you equal effective, openminded to get the truth, hear of your own not so devine sides, ready to get the chill when you see the tower tumble, illusions being tared apart or told that the love of your life is not for you ?

It´s not easy working with yourself in the first place, doing readings for yourself makes it even harder, cause yes you can do a different spread everytime you don´t like it or "don´t get it" (same-o same-o IMO), but like a trial, you can delete it from the journal, but can you delete it from your mind ?

To learn the cards - do a dailydraw
To relate them to your day - do a 3card dailySpread
To learn how to work out yourself through tarot I would recommend Mary K Greer´s book Tarot for Yourself - it´s a great workbook.

raeanne

Hi all,
Here’s a little trick for helping you learn to read for yourself. Take at least two, maybe more, slips of paper and write your question on just one of them. Fold the slips of paper individually and in the same way so you can’t tell which one has your question on it. Mix them up and draw one but don’t open it. Hold it in your hands for a few moments. Then set it aside, still unopened and pick up your tarot cards. Shuffle and deal as you usually do, all the while concentrating on the slip of paper. You want to do a reading for whatever is written on the slip of paper. Deal the cards and read the results. Now remember, you might be doing a reading for a blank piece of paper! But, you may also be doing a reading for your question. You don’t know so it help keep you more objective. Once you have done the reading, open the slip of paper and see if it has your question on it or not. If you have more than more tarot deck, you could do a layout for each slip of paper and see if you can tell which spread is talking about your question before you unfold the slips. It’s kind of fun do try. Anyway, I think this game helps you learn to read your own spread while keeping in mind that you may not be seeing what you think you are seeing. (I just re-read this, and I hope I explained myself OK. My directions make it sounded a lot more confusing than it really is.)

sue

most people will tell you to keep your tarot in a black bag or a box, and not to let anyone else touch them. your supposed to study the pictures to see what idea they give you or what it could be a reminder of. You should also keep a journal of your readings. The more often you use them the better it should be. so far thats what i've learned.

DeLani

I couldn't agree more! I found that doing a daily 3-card spread and keeping a journal with it helped me learn the cards as well as how to be more reflective in my day to day life (not to mention that it gives you your "must do a reading" fix!)
And it is good advice from the others; you shouldn't do a reading more than a month at a time. You have to give the universe a chance to turn a little. And learn patience!
Lastly, I also highly recommend Greer's "Tarot for Yourself." It is the best book there is for personal Tarot use and personal transformation. I have been reading almost 16 yrs., and went through a long time of not being able to read for myself -- I lost touch with my inner wisdom, plain and simple. Her book enabled me to get it back.
Good luck and blessed be!

raeanne (08 Dec, 2001 06:44):
Hi all,
Here’s a little trick for helping you learn to read for yourself. Take at least two, maybe more, slips of paper and write your question on just one of them. Fold the slips of paper individually and in the same way so you can’t tell which one has your question on it. Mix them up and draw one but don’t open it. Hold it in your hands for a few moments. Then set it aside, still unopened and pick up your tarot cards. Shuffle and deal as you usually do, all the while concentrating on the slip of paper. You want to do a reading for whatever is written on the slip of paper. Deal the cards and read the results. Now remember, you might be doing a reading for a blank piece of paper! But, you may also be doing a reading for your question. You don’t know so it help keep you more objective. Once you have done the reading, open the slip of paper and see if it has your question on it or not. If you have more than more tarot deck, you could do a layout for each slip of paper and see if you can tell which spread is talking about your question before you unfold the slips. It’s kind of fun do try. Anyway, I think this game helps you learn to read your own spread while keeping in mind that you may not be seeing what you think you are seeing. (I just re-read this, and I hope I explained myself OK. My directions make it sounded a lot more confusing than it really is.)

catlin

Hi,

I refused reading for myself for years although I did very good readings for my friends. I always thought that I may not be objective when I read for myself but one day, I just did it and lo, it worked!

Guess you have to get a thing started to know if it works or not!

I usually do not read for myself when I am too deep in a problem, feel frustrated, tired or not too well because in this state of mood I know I cannot be objective with myself. I usually wait one or two days and then I do a reading concerning the problem that haunts me.

scorpio

i can read for myself and strangers but there is one coworker that my best friend thinks she was my daughter in some past life that im so protective of that i feel im trying to control the reading - i do ok but i know im censoring what i say. some people are going to be afraid of the truth lest it be negative for different reasons ie a people pleaser doesnt want to tell anybody anything negative and some people fear outcomes for themselves and us control freaks fear the universe taking control of "our" people. hey im a scorpio i cant help having control issues!