I Ching

Malachite

Just out interest....I assume the 'coins' are IC specific?...or are they normal coins?

Malachite

Alta

You can use any coins that have two different sides (different things engraved on each side). Just decide which side is a '2' and which side is a '3' and stick with it. I generally use pennies. don't know why, I just do.

Emily

I saw I Ching coins for sale at Ebay but the ones I use are three normal Chinese coins I bought for under a £1 each at my local coin seller. They feel nice to use and seem to work for me. :)

Malachite

Wow!...I'm gonna read up on this one now!

Emily

Hi Malachite,

I'm having some good readings with it - The casting of the hexagrams gets easier with practise, I can do a reading now in 10 minutes but it takes more preparation than tarot, having a pencil and pad ready to write the trigrams down and getting in the right frame of mind to ask 'The Sage' (which I think means the wisdom of the I Ching), finding the changing lines in the first hexagram then actually looking all of it up in whichever translation you choose to use. It is worth it though, some of the readings I've been getting are so useful that they really hit home. :)

Logiatrix

thank you for posting this topic, emily!
has anyone here tried the "i-ching sticks"? they are six four-sided sticks with the a single broken or unbroken line on each side. the seeker lays the sticks down horizontally, stacked one above the other, to create a hexagram. this is one method i use, and has given me very good readings.
i have also been very pleased with a set of coins that a friend recently gifted to me, more intended as a novelty. they are three shiny-gold coins that literally have "yin 2" and "yang 3" on their respective sides--like training wheels! however, they actually feel great to work with, so i've replaced my chinese coins, and now use my "trainers" all the time!
:)
have you heard of wu wei? i am a big fan of his work on the i-ching. he offers a series of references and a workbook, even a CD-ROM. his perspective is very "self-help" oriented, which i enjoy.

Emily

Hi Metaz,

Its strange you should mention the marked I Ching sticks, I was reading about them earlier in one of my books (the book that actually sparked my interest in the I Ching). I bought this particular book because it contained Tarot then I got sidetracked by the I Ching section lol. The sticks sound interesting to use but so do your I Ching coins :) I also found out that you can use dice to cast hexagrams with but I do like the coin method.
I think I have heard of wu wei - I think I noticed his work book when I was looking at the R L Wing one.
I'm awaiting my copy of the Wilhelm translation, there seems to be so many different versions on the market, I already have Carol Anthony's guide and one by Diana Ffarington Hook which are based on Wilhelm's so I decided to order it - just hope i can understand it :)

Emily

My copy of the Richard Wilhelm translation came this morning in the first post. I've been browsing through it and can understand why it was a favourite for so many years, I think it may be essential reading (for me lol) :)

Alta

Emily said:
My copy of the Richard Wilhelm translation came this morning in the first post. I've been browsing through it and can understand why it was a favourite for so many years, I think it may be essential reading (for me lol) :)

Hi Emily, I loved that book, for years I practically slept with it. I loved the words, to me they were like clear water, and voice of the I Ching was so clear. Not sure why I am using the past tense, but I guess I mostly use the Karcher version now.
The Wilhelm translation means so much to me that when a friend of mine was in Germany she visited his grave. (It is wonderful, a sphere carved in granite, sitting on a circular pad of stone with the I Ching trigrams raised on it.) She brought me a bird feather that was lying on the stone, she said it was imbued with his spirit (she is very intuitive). I still treasure the photo of the tomb and the feather is tucked into the envelope.

silvereye

I Ching at tarot.com

Has anyone tried the I Ching reading in tarot.com?
I find it far too ambiguous.
By the way, most of us in Hong Kong read I Ching with the coins or sticks, I haven't seen someone reading with a deck. There's only one I CHing deck on the market.