memorizing cards

lionette

Lee said:
Here's links to Joan Bunning's keywords.

Lee, I just talked about this in another thread about JoanB's course! (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=250330#post250330)

She's giving me a well-rounded perspective of the cards with the keyword method because her lists are extensive. Rather than merely memorizing a list of vocabulary words, it's more like consulting a thesaurus to bring about broader perspectives and a greater understanding of card personalities.

Some memorization is good IMHO, rather like grounded place to jump into our own personalized DMs. We have to start somewhere, no?? :)

Lee

Hi lionette, I know, I just saw that thread, before I read your post here. We keep missing each other, LOL! :D

-- Lee

ol_crazy_Legs

Ive looked through many books, and most of the cards meanings are primarily the same from book to book. Usually what I do is I look at the cards meaning and then realate the meaning to the picture. Good luck.

Thirteen

Memorize the cards at least!

I think one thing a new reader should do is memorized the cards at least--never mind the meanings.

Memorize the Majors (Fool, Magician, HPS, Empress....), then get a feel for the minors. What's especially useful for minors is lining them up. What do all the 2's look like? What do all the 3's look like? Rather than just examining them suit by suit. Which, don't get me wrong, I think a reader should do as well, as each suit has it's only story to tell.

Readers concentrate on meaning so much, that they sometimes neglect familiarizing themselves with their deck. From there, however, I think keywords are a great way to go.

ol_crazy_Legs

yes... perhapes is a good ideah to line the cards up like this:

1 2 3 4 5....
1 2 3 4 5....
1 2 3 4 5....
1 2 3 4 5....

alizarin

When I'm learning a new deck I go through it several times, including going through it looking at all the suits by number, usually with their corresponding major. All the aces with the Magician, the 2s with the High Priestess and so on. It's very helpful.

Jewel-ry

When I was doing Justice in my 78 card week study a couple of weeks ago, I was stuck on an island in the med with only a couple of decks for company and was looking for different things to do. I took the word Justice and came up with a keyword beginning with every letter e.g.

J Justice
U Understanding
S Strength
T Truth
I Integrity
C Cause or Consequence
E Effect or Evaluation

I have since done this for all of the other cards up to the Hermit and am working on the WOF. I am not advocating memory work only and I know that some cards are going to be a little tricky e.g. Moon, not many letters in that one, but its different, it works for me and it gives you something to begin your memory work from.

What do you think?

J :)

Lee

Hey, I like that! Good idea.

-- Lee

lionette

Clever Jewel-ry ... I like it and will try myself!

bonnycat

What a good idea Jewel-ry sounds like fun might do it myself one day