Elemental Dignities... Neutral Cards?? Ill Dignified Cards??

Teheuti

In my book, _Women of the Golden Dawn: Rebels and Priestesses_ you can see an actual spread done by Annie Horniman regarding the funding of the Abbey Theatre. It includes her analysis and my own and provides a good example of the first step of the "Opening of the Key" sequence of spreads (which was used by Yeats and Horniman entirely on its own). This is the best extant example of how this process was originally done, outside of "Book T."

I don't mean to dominate this discussion or become the final arbiter. The fact is, I did a lot of work to understand exactly what was going on in three spreads by Horniman and a couple by Yeats. I couldn't let my own proclivities take over, but had to follow the exact same rules that they were applying in order to understand what was written and what conclusions were drawn.

Mary

Frannie

I just made a 3 card reading to my sister regarding her job/prospects at the present, and with Dignities I tryed to make an interpretation:

Work/prospects: 2 of wands - 9 of cups - The Hermit

"There is a will of certain stability and to feel satisfied with the work done, though it is not of your highest priorities, and you don't want help from others, but you rather want to wisely do it on your own, at your own peace, slowly but firmly"

Does this make any sense with dignities? I did my best...

MareSaturni

Wow, thanks Rodney and Mary for the superb explanations. I'm seriously thinking about getting that book "Tarot Decoded" by Elizabeth Hazel (and perhaps another about Tarot Court Cards or a general one to deepen my tarot sutdy, don't know yet), if i have $$$ (which i usually don't...currencies kill me), so i can study the Elemental Dignities further.

But i was reading a bit the site you gave us, the 'Book T' one and...i noticed there's much about Kabbalah in it. Is it necessary for using/understanding EDs?

Also, do elemental dignities work for the Minor Arcana only? How do you do when Majors show up? Let say, in three card spread, you have The Moon - 4 of Cups - The Chariot....do the Moon and the Chariot have their own element, or you ignore Elemental Dignities in this case?

Sorry for asking so many questions, books about this subject are simply non-existent where i live, and you rarely find people willing to explain it thoroughly! I hope i'm not bothering you!

Thank you so much!

~Marina

Teheuti

Frannie said:
Work/prospects: 2 of wands - 9 of cups - The Hermit

"There is a will of certain stability and to feel satisfied with the work done, though it is not of your highest priorities, and you don't want help from others, but you rather want to wisely do it on your own, at your own peace, slowly but firmly"
First of all, it helps to state this as a question:
I assume it would be: "What are my sister's work prospects?"

Even this question is a little vague. I'd put a time limit on it (within the next two weeks or next five years?) and try to be more specific about exactly what you want to know.

Basically, the answer is "good" (9 of Cups/water) = "material success & happiness," but the answer is modified by the 2 of Wands (Fire) and the Hermit (Virgo/Earth) making it "Somewhat Strong."
Three different elements are represented, lacking only Air.
Water and Earth are friends (both being Fem/Yin/Receptive elements)
Water and Fire are enemies/contrary.
Fire and Earth are "somewhat friendly/neutral".

The 2 of Wands is about dominion and influence over others.
The Hermit/Virgo is wisdom and spiritual guidance with overtones of prudence and caution.

It seems your sister would have little influence over others or, perhaps, someone else might try to dominate or exert influence over her, but that if she uses caution wisely she can be moderately successful. She might look to see if someone is offering to act as her mentor, even though it means allowing that person to lead the way, and herself to take a bit of a back seat. This could be rather humbling for her but, it seems from the reading, possibly helpful. I think we both agree that success comes slowly.

Regarding your own interpretation. I didn't read it closely until after writing my own. Yours could be more correct than mine, although the GD didn't emphasize as much the "going your own way" for the Hermit. They saw it primarily as wise guidance. The question then becomes whether you are to follow your own inner guidance or if the Hermit is manifesting outwardly as a person who is to guide you. BTW, the oldest understanding of the virtue Prudence equated it with Wisdom.

Teheuti

Marina -

You don't need Kabbalah for EDs - just some basic astrology and an understanding of the elements. EDs work with the Major Arcana by using their astrological correspondences. The Moon card, for the GD, is Pisces and the Chariot is Cancer - both Water. The planetary cards are associated with the signs they rule: The Magician = Mercury and rules both Gemini (Air) and Virgo (Earth), so either (or both) would apply.

MareSaturni

Teheuti said:
Marina -

You don't need Kabbalah for EDs - just some basic astrology and an understanding of the elements. EDs work with the Major Arcana by using their astrological correspondences. The Moon card, for the GD, is Pisces and the Chariot is Cancer - both Water. The planetary cards are associated with the signs they rule: The Magician = Mercury and rules both Gemini (Air) and Virgo (Earth), so either (or both) would apply.

Thanks you Mary for the explanation! Very helpful to me!

Now i'll see if i can find any books. Thanks to the help i have received here, Elemental Dignities don't seem so impossibly complicated anymore :)

Thanks!

~Marina

firecatpickles

Teheuti said:
It's difficult to imagine the spread without being able to see the cards (It's depicted in cards in _Women of the GD_).

He used to have pictures but they are not there any longer.