Sensitive to decks when ill

GlitterNova

Here's something I've noticed about myself and I was wondering whether others have experienced this too. Whenever I'm sick with something (especially when it affects my head), I absolutely can't stand to look at my Tarot of the Spirit deck. Something about its energy is just TOO MUCH for my ill self to handle. Looking at the cards makes me feel even more sick. When I'm not sick I don't have any issue with this deck and quite like it. Do you think people can become extra-sensitive to particularly potent decks when they're sick to the point that something like this can happen? Has this ever happened to you with a deck?

Scarlet Woodland

I haven't experienced that exactly but I do know what you mean. In my case it's usually sleep deprivation or having worked too many days in a row in a customer facing job. Then I need softer colours and less contrast. I sometimes struggle with card characters that look too intently at you aswell. .. I get a bit 'dude get out of my head' hehe.

Grizabella

You know, I've been reading for about 17 years and sometimes I've given the Spiral Tarot a try, because when I first had it, I'd feel sick when I tried to use it even though I don't have any foo-foo ideas about Tarot carrying evil or spirits or anything. I'd trade it or sell it and then a few years on, I'd try it again. Every single time it's the same! I love the size of it and its nice art work, but my stomach rolls even when I remember it. I just don't know what it is about that deck. Maybe it brings something up from a past life or something, but whatever it is, I give up. No Spiral for me. My oldest daughter learned on it and loves it to pieces, though. It's just me.

Tanga

I'd say that you being out-of-sorts/feeling vulnerable affects how you receive that deck.
Imagery that is usually engaging, somehow - you see in a different light.
And it's a subconscious reaction.

When I'm ill - be it with an ailment, or that I didn't sleep enough - I just become more sensitive to everything (of which I'm already highly sensitive. Lol). I can cope with far less information and interactions with people - somebody talking to me may just grate on my nerves, and things I usually take in my stride daily - may seem like a huge mountain all-of-a-sudden. The daily ride on the bus may seems like a huge invasion of my personal space. Daily traffic noise walking up my road might make me want to scream - when I usually hardly notice it (I automatically filter it out - so my filters have stopped working because I'm unwell).

I've not had a deck actually make me feel more ill, when already ill - but then I usually instinctively choose to work only with decks that I know will have a calming or cheering effect on me. Next time - I'll deliberately try it to find out. :) :)

Recently I've been fascinated to discover that the colour scheme of Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot (Paul Huson) - actually switches me into parasympathetic mode, i.e. I can feel my nervous system slow down and get quieter - just as if I've been doing a relaxation meditation.

Laura Borealis

Here's something I've noticed about myself and I was wondering whether others have experienced this too. Whenever I'm sick with something (especially when it affects my head), I absolutely can't stand to look at my Tarot of the Spirit deck. Something about its energy is just TOO MUCH for my ill self to handle. Looking at the cards makes me feel even more sick. When I'm not sick I don't have any issue with this deck and quite like it. Do you think people can become extra-sensitive to particularly potent decks when they're sick to the point that something like this can happen? Has this ever happened to you with a deck?

This is interesting to me, since I just got the Tarot of the Spirit. I haven't had a chance to really work with it yet (I'm kind of holding off till I get the book).

What do you think it is about it that affects you? Potency, but in what way? Just curious what it is about it...

Also, I'm curious if you have the old printing or the new one. I used to have the old one, and now have the new one, and from what I remember the old one is less vivid and maybe a bit blurry. The new one is definitely bright and I think it has higher contrast too.

Thoughtful

Recently I've been fascinated to discover that the colour scheme of Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot (Paul Huson) - actually switches me into parasympathetic mode, i.e. I can feel my nervous system slow down and get quieter - just as if I've been doing a relaxation meditation.

This is interesting because you have described how l feel when l read the Roots of Asia it has that wonderful calming feel.

As to sensitivity when ill l have not experienced that because if l feel off colour l am not drawn to reach for my tarot cards.

RiverRunsDeep

So is it really the Tarot of the Spirit that affects you, or is it
the fact that you were so sick when you used the deck that it
is now the power of association that creates those feelings?

Last November, I was grieving the loss of a very close friend,
and also using the Deviant Moon tarot for the first time. And
now, unfortunately, I am unable to look at those cards without
those same feelings of grief coming back.