Tarot in Movies

fyreflye

This thread gives me an excuse to recommend strongly the recent release on DVD of the 1994 - 95 television series "My So Called Life" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108872/
Yes, there's a tarot deck belonging to the aging hippie mother of one of the heroine's (Clare Danes) friends shown in one or two of the episodes, the Jungian Tarot of Robert Wang. In the Features section of the DVD set the creator and writer of the series admits the deck is actualy hers and that she still has it.
I've rented and watched many acclaimed and Emmy'd television drama series as they came out on DVD - "The Sopranos," "The Wire," "Six Feet Under," "Carnivale" and more - but I have to say that "My So Called Life" must be the finest television drama I've ever seen. The IMdB Plot Summary hardly does it justice. It lasted only one season - 19 episodes - but it's a complete story in itself, brilliantly imagined and performed, and if you live anywhere near a video rental that carries it (maybe even Netflix has it) you should devote a week out of your life to watching it. A masterpiece.

greenbeans

fyreflye, thanks for reminding me of mscl! I used to love watching it but only saw about half the episodes and don't recall seeing a tarot deck. Will have to see if I can get my mitts on a copy!

shadowbane

Im so glad someone has put a post on this it was on yesterday and was wondering what the spread was being used. There were 2 decks and I kept saying to my friend look look it's changed its rider waite now. all I got was a useless "mmm hmmm whatever, it's a film." still it irritated the life out of me.

pippi

Bewitched

Just watched the movie, "Bewitched" last night (Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell). There's a scene in the beginning of the movie in Bed, Bath & Beyond, where she pulls out a tarot deck at the cash register and swipes a card through the machine, and it turns into a credit card.

Now if I could only make my cards do that...

Nevermore

pippi said:
Just watched the movie, "Bewitched" last night (Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell). There's a scene in the beginning of the movie in Bed, Bath & Beyond, where she pulls out a tarot deck at the cash register and swipes a card through the machine, and it turns into a credit card.

Now if I could only make my cards do that...

then you'd have about 80 bills a month! :laugh:

Tomsde

Since people have mentioned TV shows in addition to movies, I browsed the thread and couldn't find a reference to this. Dark Shadows, both the original series and the 90's revival, both used Tarot cards. In the original Dark Shadows, they used some old looking deck--not sure which one, but the Tower Card kept being found around the Collinswood Estate. In the 90's revival during the 1700's period, the Countess Dupree was seen reading tarot cards, they didn't show many of the cards, but the one I did get a look at was definitely a modern deck in the RWS style, she kept pulling the Queen of Pentacles exclaiming, "Le Wicked Woman!" Don't know where she got that definition. The definitely should have used a Marseles style deck in that portion of the show. Maggie Evan's, who essentially replaced Elliot Stokes from the original series as the resident psychic, also elluded to reading cards, but I don't think we saw them.

I saw the Dark Shadows Tarot on here and was dissapointed with what they did with it. It would be great if someone did do a Dark Shadows Tarot with original art, there certainly is enough material there to work with.

pippi

Nevermore said:
then you'd have about 80 bills a month! :laugh:

Oh, I could just "pay" those bills with a little twitch of my nose!! ;)

blackairplane

There was a movie a number of years ago called "Henry and June" which was the story of Henry Miller, Anias Nin and June Miller in 1930's Paris. There are two scenes where June Miller ( Uma Thurman) briefly reads tarot to a table of drunken artists, photographers, writers and circus performers. Its a great scene. She flips up the Death Card and says " That could be good luck too". It is one of the older French decks. I forget which one.

afrosaxon

fyreflye said:
This thread gives me an excuse to recommend strongly the recent release on DVD of the 1994 - 95 television series "My So Called Life" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108872/
...I have to say that "My So Called Life" must be the finest television drama I've ever seen. The IMdB Plot Summary hardly does it justice. It lasted only one season - 19 episodes - but it's a complete story in itself, brilliantly imagined and performed, and if you live anywhere near a video rental that carries it (maybe even Netflix has it) you should devote a week out of your life to watching it. A masterpiece.

OMG...I loved this show! I was highly disappointed when they canceled it.

The Christmas/Holiday episode (with the angel who spoke to Angela's [Claire Dane] mother)...WOW!

And the love triangle episode (Angela, the best friend, and Angela's love interest)...goodness! ;)

I'm so glad that it's available on DVD. You can get legitimate copies on eBay as well, for a lower price than retail. :D

Huck

Tarot Movies at youtube

Still in an experimental form has developed

http://a-tarot.eu

an installation to build a new Tarot and Playing Cards News system.

A first article is there ... "Tarot at youtube (2009)", which might take some of us hours and even days. Of special interest should be ...

"Secrets of the Playing Card : Decoding the Past"
A 45-minute TV-report with many interesting and otherwise unknown cards and the participation of some card researchers, between them David Parlett and Thierry Depaulis. Tarot naturally is also a major point in this report.

The 8th link from the top

... but all the others are surely also not known by everybody