University Press Rider Waite

Bhavana

For anyone interested, it has the pink ankh backs, but is short a few cards. In my research here on this forum, seems some of you have bought this deck but it came to you missing cards, or if it had all 78, there were doubles of some and others missing...maybe this deck could help you fill in your decks? It was 16.99 this morning, but after I pm'd the seller and she told me about the missing cards, she lowered the price.

Not in perfect shape, but it looks ok, I hope it isn't stupid of me to not get it because of the missing cards...oh well, hopefully there will be other decks in my future...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81398492/smith-waite-tarot-cards?ref=sc_2

Debra

Bhavana, I suggest you write them and ask them to count again. Sometimes sellers make mistakes. Anyway, this deck isn't all that rare--it comes up on e-bay fairly regularly :)

Bhavana

Bhavana, I suggest you write them and ask them to count again. Sometimes sellers make mistakes. Anyway, this deck isn't all that rare--it comes up on e-bay fairly regularly :)

I will, Debra. Thanks for letting me know that I will most likely see it again.

Bhavana

I was wondering, and thought I'd ask here - does the value of a deck, such as one of these older University Press decks, or any deck really, go down considerably if you don't have the box and the LWB? As a collectible, I mean. Does it go down so much that you would pass up a deck without the box/LWB, unless it was a really rare deck?

Le Fanu

I would say that some decks would still be expensive without box, i.e a Greenwood, Victorian Romantic Gold, Pamela B and shouldn't be sniffed at (cheaper, not cheap). However, I think the University press RWS is not so rare. if someone wants one and watched ebay and stuff, within 6 months I'm sure they'd find a boxed up complete one. That's my guess.

But generally, mid-range stuff should be complete to get the most for it.

Bhavana

oh decisions decisions....the deck is in like new shape...but no box, no LWB. It isn't that I don't think I could find one some time in the future as much as I wonder how easy it would be to find one in great condition...as for price, this one is just under $30 with shipping...

Debra

Ohhh, grab it! That's a great price for the deck.

I don't think tarot cards are a good "investment." You might make some money by flipping them (buying low, selling high) within the next year or so; I've seen people do that and also some make a business of it--and also people who bought decks they felt sure they could sell and now can barely give away. I suspect the market for rare-ish tarots is short-lived and that tarot will not command high prices as collectables for too much longer. I may be wrong LOL

Bhavana

!

Ohhh, grab it! That's a great price for the deck.

I don't think tarot cards are a good "investment." You might make some money by flipping them (buying low, selling high) within the next year or so; I've seen people do that and also some make a business of it--and also people who bought decks they felt sure they could sell and now can barely give away. I suspect the market for rare-ish tarots is short-lived and that tarot will not command high prices as collectables for too much longer. I may be wrong LOL

Oh rats. You mean I won't be able to retire on my tarot collection???
haha...really, I am just looking for an excuse NOT to buy the damn thing...any justification will do - since the fact that I really don't have the money never seems to work....

Debra

Well then forget it! It's not even on your wishlist in your profile.

I've got one and it's cool enough but I have Rider decks with coloring and backs I like much more and I wouldn't miss it one bit if it went away.

Bhavana

yeah, but then there are A LOT of decks I want that aren't on my wishlist.

but really, this one - if I wanted it that bad, I'd have scooped it up already. I am sure there will be plenty of these decks in my future.

Thank you for your help with this truly agonizing decision ...;)