2 of Cups - Where are they standing?

Margo9023

Hi everyone,
I'm studying the 2 of Cups today - Universal Rider Waite Tarot Deck. I noticed the man and woman are standing looks like their standing in the road - is that where they are? And, I'm wondering why the road? The words "cross-roads" comes to mind.

The house in the background looks secluded - kind of buried beneath the trees and grassy hills.

All feedback would be appreciated.

Zephyros

I don't know about the road, although it may very well be. The lion is an alchemical symbol, referring to the union of opposites, as Waite says in the PKT: "above their cups rises the Caduceus of Hermes, between the great wings of which there appears a lion's head. It is a variant of a sign which is found in a few old examples of this card. Some curious emblematical meanings are attached to it, but they do not concern us in this place."

Now, obviously this card speaks of Love, but as a lower numbered card, that love is still abstract and unformed. A crush, perhaps, passionate but of little practical value. The house is still far off probably because the two are in love, but they do not actually love each other (yet).

Margo9023

closrapexra

I don't know about the road, although it may very well be. The lion is an alchemical symbol, referring to the union of opposites, as Waite says in the PKT: "above their cups rises the Caduceus of Hermes, between the great wings of which there appears a lion's head. It is a variant of a sign which is found in a few old examples of this card. Some curious emblematical meanings are attached to it, but they do not concern us in this place."

Now, obviously this card speaks of Love, but as a lower numbered card, that love is still abstract and unformed. A crush, perhaps, passionate but of little practical value. The house is still far off probably because the two are in love, but they do not actually love each other (yet).

Hi Closrapexra!
This is very helpful. Interesting - "A crush, perhaps, passionate but of little practical value. The house is still far off probably because the two are in love, but they do not actually love each other (yet)."

Abrac

Pamela Colman Smith had a love of theater and many of the minors are made to look like a theater stage and backdrop. I believe this is the case with the 2 of Cups if you look at the original:

2 of Cups

The Universal retains some of this but it's not as obvious. If you look at the bottom of the card you can see a reflection of the woman's dress and the man's feet. You can also see reflections of the Cancer symbol and '95. All the cards in this deck have this but I'm not sure what its significance is.

Universal 2 of Cups

EDIT: Margo, do you have the Mary Hanson Roberts Universal? I got my scan of the "Universal" from Albideuter. It says Universal but the cards aren't the MHR version. I'm not sure what they are. :confused:

Zephyros

I haven't seen any of the other Universal cards, but the 2 of Cups is attributed to Venus in Cancer, you can see the Venus symbol at the top. I'm guessing the 95 is the year it was made.

Margo9023

Pamela Colman Smith had a love of theater and many of the minors are made to look like a theater stage and backdrop. I believe this is the case with the 2 of Cups if you look at the original:

2 of Cups

The Universal retains some of this but it's not as obvious. If you look at the bottom of the card you can see a reflection of the woman's dress and the man's feet. You can also see reflections of the Cancer symbol and '95. All the cards in this deck have this but I'm not sure what its significance is.

Universal 2 of Cups

EDIT: Margo, do you have the Mary Hanson Roberts Universal? I got my scan of the "Universal" from Albideuter. It says Universal but the cards aren't the MHR version. I'm not sure what they are. :confused:

Hi Abrac! And thank you. I have the Universal Rider Waite & the Hansen-Roberts Tarot Decks.
I'm using the Universal Rider Waite to study.

Margo9023

closrapexra

I haven't seen any of the other Universal cards, but the 2 of Cups is attributed to Venus in Cancer, you can see the Venus symbol at the top. I'm guessing the 95 is the year it was made.

Hi Closrapexra! Thank you so much! I was looking for this information "2 of Cups is attributed to Venus in Cancer". But, neither my Universal Rider Waite which I'm using to study nor the Hansen-Roberts Tarot have the symbol on my cards?

Margo9023

closrapexra and Abrac

I just realized too, that they both bring together all four Elements - "They both hold their cups in the same hands, touch with same hands, both wear wreaths on their heads (hers is green as in the earth element, earthy – his is red like the element fire element, passion), They both wear clothing that is draped over them (hers is blue like the water element, emotions – his is yellow as the air element, thoughts). They both wear cloth under neither that is white – as being truthful, pure, innocent to each other, virgin newness."

Abrac

Okay I see where I screwed up. That second picture I posted is the Aquatic Tarot, that explains all the water. :laugh: Its link is right below the Universal Waite link at Albideuter. I could have sworn I clicked the Universal Waite link but maybe not, sorry for the confusion.

The Aquatic has the Golden Dawn decan attributions, slightly hidden.

Richard

The astrological decans are not shown on the Rider-Waite pips, but here is the table from Book T.

Attachments

• 20130730.jpg
    20130730.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 298