US Games Premier editions?

jackdaw*

Hi all,

indigo.chapters.ca has an item available for pre-order: Aquarian Tarot Deck, Premier Tarot Edition. I just checked over at the US Games website and this is what they say:

"Special issue of our bestselling tarot decks in large high-profile format.
All Premier Tarot Edition cases measure 4-5/8 x 7-1/4" and include 18x20" full color spread sheet. "

No idea, though, on when it might be available.

Sounds intriguing. I wonder what other decks they might plan on doing this with, and whether they are simply bigger cards or if they have any special treatment otherwise. The price doesn't seem to vary much on either website from that of the existing Aquarian Tarot.

QofP

Jeannette

I hadn't heard of any such editions, so I wrote to our contacts at U.S. Games Systems about them. Here's the response I received:

...The "Premier" editions were originally made for Barnes & Noble as they needed larger boxes to thwart the pilfering problems they experience. The cards are the same size but the boxes are larger and this version includes a spreadsheet. Inside the decks still have their own tuckbox. We have larger versions to date of Rider-Waite, Medieval Scapini and Crowley. Next up are Aquarian, Quick & Easy and Forest Folklore.

We've been given permission to order these, as the distribution agreement for these "large box" editions is not exclusive to Barnes & Noble, but are available to any retailer. If anyone wants us to order copies of any of the above, you can PM me or write to me at jkr@tarotgarden.com

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

jackdaw*

Ah. So it's basically the same deck in a bigger box? Thanks Jeannette.

Cerulean

Yep, it's this deck...

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite/review.shtml

The modern, high gloss stock with the new typeset titles, still the old plaid backs.

I saw one at Barnes and Noble. There's an additional layout sheet that I seem to remember that came with one of the other deck-book sets, with flower decorations and the Celtic Cross positions.

The box cover has the Magician--the old card with the handwritten font and no copyright on the side. Open the box and there's another yellow box with the standard size deck snugly inserted in a tray and the tray back has the PCS picture and background info and a picture of Waite at the top and background info.

The yellow box has the same Magician as the cover and inside, the standard LWB and title card and one card with PCS info.

I needed a modern RWS for comparison and it's a nice, bright copy. I do prefer the mini and Giant older versions, though, with the handwritten fonts for the older feel and silky finish...

Cerulean

Khaelo

tricky box

I accidentally bought another small size Thoth thinking it was the big edition, thanks to this new box system. :( Now, you really have to pay attention to the color of the Thoth box to get the right size. A big lilac box contains a small deck! The inner box, the one that actually holds the cards, looked identical to the one my first small Thoth was sold in. I returned the undersized deck and got one in a big green box -- much better!