$25,000 Tarot of Marseilles for sale

Waset

Wow, the cheek! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see this deck including the pips as well. It looks to me like majors only.

And six years?! Was s/he doing like one stitch a day or something? From the look of the cards, it couldn't have taken more then two-three days of leasurely work to complete each design. Granted, converting the original artwork into the cross stitch patterns and matching the colours also required some time. But still!!!

Oh, and Elven, your beaded Magician is LOVELY.

Silverlotus

I'm very impressed by these cards. As an avid (and horribly addicted) cross stitcher, I can appreciate how much time went into making these. (Just a note, these cards are cross stitched, not embroidered. There is a difference.)

A large design, like I generally stitch, can take anywhere from 300-500 hours. This auction looks to be 22 smaller designs, with backs, making 44 in total. The backs look to be all but covered in stitches, while the fronts are not. I'm guessing that the time estimate is a high at 10,000 hours. I would say closer to 800-1500 depending on the design size.

When doing bespoke work, cross stitchers generally charge a penny a stitch based on the stitch count not the actual number of stitches. (By this I mean a design that is 150x150 stitches fully or half stitched would cost the same, generally speaking.) So, if someone who speaks French could get the stitch count from the seller, we could make a estimate of the price that way.

Lillie

I tried cross stitch.
I couldn't get into it. Too fiddly.

I find the cards to be quite amazing.
The ammount of work that went into it.

Elven, I am also gobsmacked at your Magician.
It's an amazing bit of work.
You must be very proud of him.