Nicolas Bodet

Major Tom

I've only just happened upon this delightful tarot: http://wopc.co.uk/downloads/BodetTarot.jpg

It certainly seems to me to share many charactistics of the Tarot of Marseilles, yet some of the cards have a completely different iconography.

Would you call this a Tarot of Marseilles?

eugim

Hello Major Tom and Bee also too...
Well that deck drives us to Vieville deck and Belgian connection to where who I "believe" ours dearly Madam has drives to this topic ...

Eugim

Major Tom

Bernice said:
Appears to be also called The Belgian Tarot

Thanks for this Bee. :)

eugim said:
Well that deck drives us to Vieville deck and Belgian connection

Yes, there seems to be a connection with the Vieville. Both patterns share iconography.

Major Tom

Bernice said:
Appears to be also called The Belgian Tarot

Thanks for this Bee. :)

eugim said:
Well that deck drives us to Vieville deck and Belgian connection

Yes, there seems to be a connection with the Vieville. Both patterns share iconography.

firemaiden

Looks like the Bacchus Tarot to me.

MaureenH

It's beautiful. I haven't looked completely, but it is V that I notice right off. Whose idea was it to replace Hierophant with Baccus? Or maybe they're both represented here somewhere. My first thought is they represent opposite ends of the spectrum. Is there a deck with a middle way? Maybe that would defeat the purpose of an archetype. I love the translucent quality of the drawings. Almost feels like you could put you hand right into them.

gregory

I'm with firemaiden here - it looks very like the Bacchus - aka Vandenborre.

Have a look here. Though the Vandenborre I have doesn't have the fancy frame the "Bodet" cards do. It is a typical Belgian pattern, anyway.

From a catalogue selling them:
An early example of the "Rouen/Brussels" Latin-suited tarot, and probably the earliest produced in Brussels. Tarot decks contain 78 cards comprising 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minor Arcana. The Minor Arcana contain four court cards and ten pip cards in each of four suits. Each card in the Bodet deck has a black woodcut border. The titles of the court cards and Major Arcana are printed beneath the figures. The Major Arcana are each numbered at top with their position in the deck.

The printer Bodet is mentioned in Tarotpedia, anyway. and on the IPCS site.

firemaiden

And here's a thread started by Kwaw on the The Belgian Tarot -- in this thread Le Pendu does some of his characteristic wonderful comparisons, putting the Vieville, and the Vandenborre side by side.

ihcoyc

MaureenH said:
It's beautiful. I haven't looked completely, but it is V that I notice right off. Whose idea was it to replace Hierophant with Baccus?

This is perhaps the most curious. Unlike the Besançon Tarot, which puts Juno and Jupiter in the places of the Papess and Pope, the Belgian decks use Bacchus/Bacus for the Pope, and the Spanish Captain Fracasse, a miles gloriosus type character from commedia dell'arte, instead of the Papess. Juno and Jupiter could be viewed as an attempt to preserve the symbolism of the original cards. Captain Fracasse seems far removed from the original.