Rumi Tarot By Nigel Jackson

Prism

I used mine for about a month solid as my sole deck and never had any problems with the card stock. I really love the images; some of them are quite different from the usual. I haven't gotten over my wish that the verses weren't on the cards, but I'm glad some of you have a different opinion on that. All in all, a great deck IMHO.

Indigo Rose

Le Fanu said:
What a wonderful reading Indigo. I had no idea that there were such verses on the cards.

I just ordered a copy from the Book Depository. It has been tempting me for a while. But I was put off by the green and reports of chipping, but that reading by Indigo has sold it to me!

The green is actually pretty; perhaps Internet images don't do it justice. Also, as you've discovered the verses and words are very inspirational. They add a nice touch to the readings. I'm glad you're going to give this one a try. :)

Le Fanu

My Rumi arrived today and I have to say, I think it is a beautiful deck. So often I'm in doubt with new decks, I hold out, sit on the fence and sometimes (only sometimes! LOL) take the plunge! I'm so glad I did with this deck. As soon as I unwrapped the cards, I felt the thrill of a deck well-chosen!

It is absolutely beautiful. The green colour which (it seems) people disliked, is lovely. It is a colour we are not used to seeing on tarot cards - hence the shock - but it has something of glazed arabic tiles; especially the backs. I love the backs and really find the colour one of the nicest aspects of it. Such an unusual shade.

I can really use this deck. It immediately made me think that here is a deck which is at once gentle, philosophical and soothing and will be perfect for those readings when we feel battered and delicate! Here is an example of how a tarot decks can be gentle and sensitive WITHOUT renaming Death or portraying the Devil as "cutesy bunny" so as not to upset clients. Here is a deck which has Death, the Devil, 10 of Swords, the Tower, all the bad cards but with an angle of how suffering makes us grow. This is exactly why I am against renaming cards and pretending there is no negativity so that querents don't get scared. Suffering can be greeted philosophically, stoically and I feel that this is the approach of this deck, and this is what tests us as human beings. ´This is how we, in life, should face suffering; seeing how it makes us grow and not being scared of it, learning from it, seeing it in the wider sphere of things.

This is the initial vibe I get from this deck. And I like it. I feel as though I can use this deck, with or without reading the book (one day I will; I generally read the companion books). But even if I didn't read the companion book, the deck is immediately readable and each card has so much food for thought, with its detailed images and poetic proverbs.

I know that there will be moments in life when this deck will be so, so right!

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
My Rumi arrived today and I have to say, I think it is a beautiful deck.
<ridiculous smile> I *love* watching people discover things I've discovered!

But then, I'm feeling pretty happy today anyway, for Tarot-related reasons of my own.

Le Fanu said:
It is absolutely beautiful. The green colour which (it seems) people disliked, is lovely.
I don't *dislike* it so much (I know I was one of the vocal ones), as was disappointed by it. Before I got the deck when there was discussion of the green backgrounds on the Minors, I had envisaged a clear, deep emerald-green, not a clouded light jade-green. I would *still* buy a second copy in a heartbeat if they brought out an emerald version of it, given the wherewithall to do so.

Le Fanu said:
but it has something of glazed arabic tiles; especially the backs.
<smile> As you say. I really think, with me, I was just inexpressibly disappointed that the artist's vision and mine were not in accord. He certainly picked the right shade of indigo for the Majors!

Le Fanu said:
I can really use this deck. It immediately made me think that here is a deck which is at once gentle, philosophical and soothing and will be perfect for those readings when we feel battered and delicate!
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Le Fanu said:
Here is a deck which has Death, the Devil, 10 of Swords, the Tower, all the bad cards but with an angle of how suffering makes us grow. This is exactly why I am against renaming cards and pretending there is no negativity so that querents don't get scared.
And notice <glances meaningfully around the AT community> how they are ALL challenging images, especially our friend the Devil who is *straight* from a Mediaeval Moslem Hell ... and yet the deck is completely unscary. It's a deck that holds you r hand and says: "This is how it is. Nasty. But don't worry, I'll help you overcome all that."

Le Fanu said:
Suffering can be greeted philosophically, stoically and I feel that this is the approach of this deck,
And have you noticed how around fifty of the quotes in the deck - most of the cards - mention love? I've been waiting for the first person to say they don't like this deck because it is too skewed towards romance and not enough towards every other human-based issue; but it just hasn't happened. I should give our population more credit. Because with "love" mentioned in so many cards, the deck is not principally about romance. It is about gentleness, the peaceful acceptance which is spiritual love, the coming to terms with yourself and others, which is self-love and brotherly love.

We can all learn from this deck, me especially.

emmsma

ACK! This is why I shouold never read about decks I don't have or already want.

I am enabled by your post alone, Nisaba. You are a wicked woman!

nisaba

emmsma said:
ACK! This is why I shouold never read about decks I don't have or already want.

I am enabled by your post alone, Nisaba. You are a wicked woman!
<in a heartbeat> Meet you in the de-enabling thread. This deck is just such pure ~~~~ that it'll be a joy to rip it to shreds ...

Le Fanu

Fantastic reading! Is that spread in the book? Ive been absorbed in the cards so much I haven't got beyond the preface, but 'tis pure poetry!

Yes, love! Love as uplifting and as consoling, not as in "does he like me more than his ex?" type reading (not that this isn't entirely valid), but the Rumi is more humanistic love rather than romance, I think.

Mine arrived slightly chipped round the ages (I forgot to add) but it doesn't really matter. there are more important things to be reflecting on with this deck...

Reached for the deck first thing this morning. Damn work. I could spend the whole day absorbed in it if I didn't have to go and sully myself with work!

Essjay

Oh Le Fanu, I was on the fence about this deck and had been for a while.

Now I may have to take a closer look at some scans and think again. The backs were an aspect of it that I love.

You enabler, you!

:)

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
Fantastic reading! Is that spread in the book? Ive been absorbed in the cards so much I haven't got beyond the preface, but 'tis pure poetry!
Argh, no it isn't. You never got involved with World Towel Day / World Tarot Day this year? world Tarot Day just happens to fall on World Towel Day, which commemorated the death of the late great Douglas Adams, mayherestinpieces. Douglas Adams, you'll remember, came up with the theorum that the answer to the Question, the Great Question, the Question of the Meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything is ... 42. So obviously I was *always* going to combine World Towel Day, when you carry a towel around all day to commemorate the master, and World Tarot Day, by doing a 42 card spread on my Towel in public.

Gregory really impressed me. Queen of the One Card Pull, she heroically did a 42 card spread. And to make it even more fiendishly difficult for herself, she chose the Power Animals! <falls over, hooting with laughter>

For your reference ...

Le Fanu said:
Mine arrived slightly chipped round the ages (I forgot to add) but it doesn't really matter. there are more important things to be reflecting on with this deck...
Someone else said that (I forget who), or that it chipped immediately after they started using it. I don't know - mine's months old and holding up well. Of course, it is far from my *only* deck, but it *does* see the light of day. And let's face it, the reason I leapt bodily on that second-hand Balbi deck and still consider it a great find, was all the loving damage on it!

Le Fanu said:
Reached for the deck first thing this morning. Damn work. I could spend the whole day absorbed in it if I didn't have to go and sully myself with work!
Damned unreasonable of them, isn't it. We should get paid a liveable stipend to immerse ourselves in our Tarot culture.