Can't decide which deck to get?

Witchypoojen

My humble opinion

I have read over the years to start with either the Rider or the Thoth. Problem is I don't like either! And while a lot of people talk about proper meanings, that is what led me to collect a lot of decks but never really use them! It was daunting thinking of learning all of those meanings!! So I went the other way. I chose a deck that 'spoke to me'. One that I saw more than just pictures in. Ones that made me want to look deeper than the pictures. Now I'm learning to read intuitively using the Joie De Vivre. They say its not for beginners. So I tried switching to Paulina's. while it is beautiful, it just didn't have that draw for me. So I'm doing the 'card a day' method with the deck of my choice and learning that way. I get the feel of the card, see what I need to see at that time. At the end of the day I look up the meaning & record my day and the book meaning and compare. This way I am learning to trust myself, learning the cards but not 'memorizing' them, and actually getting excited to see if what I saw in the card applies to my day! So I'm really enjoying that.
I would recommend to just go with what you want to use. Forcing anything else will just leave you frustrated & not enjoying or appreciating what the cards have to offer. Again just my opinion...

MissNine

GILDED

I just started a few months ago and it's been so much more positive than the RW deck, which I initially tried a few years back but the pictures didn't speak to me. It actually gave me the creeps. To each his own, but I think the Gilded deck is a very friendly card deck.

Asbestos Mango

As big a fan as I am of learning on the RWS, I have to agree with those who are saying get the deck that feels right to you. There are plenty of RWS based decks out there that you can learn the system on. I'm actually partial to the Gilded Tarot as a deck for beginners who find the RWS imagery a bit scary. It doesn't soft-pedal by any means, but even the darkest cards show the possibility of finding something positive in the worst of situations.

And if you're feeling Thothy, but find the Thoth intimidating, I think Babalon Jones still has some of the full-sized Rosetta Tarot decks left, and that deck comes with the best LWB evah. There's also the mini in a tin, but it doesn't come with an LWB. It's very Thoth-based, but more user-friendly, and the minors have nice illustrations that lend themselves to intuitive reading.

Richard

Don't believe those who say the Rider Waite Smith is where you should start because it's easier (sorry, everyone above me who said exactly that..grrrr.)

The Thoth will meet you wherever you are. I love the Thoth and found it very accessible once I'd stopped listening to people :D (and I'm not sure I have any background in Thelema). The great thing about the Thoth is that it will meet you wherever you are. It will feed you in bite-sized pieces if you let it........
For once, I am in 100% agreement with Le Fanu. Go for the Thoth!

Wasn't the OP about choosing between the Thoth and the Wild Unknown? Rider-Waite was not mentioned as an option. Did I miss something? Anyhow, Rider-Waite is far more obscure than Thoth; it's just that most people don't know what it's really about, nor do they care. In fact, they don't even want to be told what Waite had in mind. Advise them to read Waite's companion book, and they whine that they can't understand it. Well, boo-hoo. Have I piqued anyone's curiosity? }) Probably not.

Gulliver

Oh yes, please tell more about it!

Celtictarot

I don't posees either the Thoth, It gives me the heebie geebies BUT go for whatever deck you feel connected to. Also don't feel a failure that you don't possess a RWS deck, I don't and won't as I just think this deck is in a word minging.

If you would lend an ear, I would suggest the goddess tarot as that was my learning deck and there is a neat little trick with the minors of this deck which you can remember the element it belongs to. (That's how connected to the deck I am). And an example of being connected to a deck.

herself

Another vote for "go for what you love"... if you aren't excited about the deck, then learning tarot is just going to feel like a slog.

I love the Thoth as much as the others here, but I started with another (non-RWS) deck first. Coming to the Thoth after that meant it was much more approachable from my perspective.