The Wooden Tarot, thoughts?

missBrookeh

I was scrolling through tarot decks on Etsy and came across The Wooden Tarot and am quite attracted to the imagery and art style of the deck, so I'd love to hear from anyone who owns or has encountered the deck, their thoughts and opinions on it and how they found reading with it? :)

ldiddy

Not a winner for me....

I'll be honest, I really wanted to like this deck, but have had no connection or success with reading it. Of the ten or so I own, it is by far my least favorite.

In defense of Wooden Tarot, the minor arcana are pippish and it is the only deck I have where the pips aren't illustarated more fully, so part of the trouble reading is that they are beyond my comfort level. Another positive is the happy Squirrel card which is my son's favorite. He has a bit of a connection with the deck, so it hangs around.

Some of the majors are fantastic. I adore the Fool and Justice in particular. However, there are many three eyed animals and I find them distracting. I want the cards to help me understand them, not disconcert me.

If I had it to do again, I would not buy this deck.

My input.... I'm sure there are others who love it.

skyfiery

I more or less have the same opinions as ldiddy.

I'd originally bought it when there was the major arcana only version, and I've to say that the majors are illustrated very well and mostly project messages that are more readable than not.

I'd eagerly backed the Kickstarter when I heard that a full deck was being made, but when I received it and went through the deck, I was disappointed by the disconnection with it. The more minimalist style of the pips make it kind of hard to read with, but even the court cards feel aloof, if that makes any sense. I haven't actually touched the deck again since I went through it the first time.

For me, I think that I'd keep it and admire it as a work of art, but as a reading deck, it's one I don't think I'll ever use.

The Happy Squirrel

I love the art and managed to get both full deck and majors only through swaps with deck and book. Not sure how they work in readings as I haven't tried it yet. But as a collection this is one of my favourites.

acephale

I just purchased The Wooden Tarot and I love it. A friend of mine had purchased it earlier and photographed three cards, Temperance, The Magician, and Queen of Blooms, tagging my wife and I on FB when she posted them since I work as a magician (that was how this friend and I initially met, she was in the audience of a lecture/show I gave at Coney Island's Congress of Curious People), and my wife is a wildlife photographer who volunteers at the aquarium here in Brooklyn and previously in Seattle so she is crazy about both otters and octopi. When I saw that Temperance was an otter with a third eye I knew I had to have this deck. I simply love it. The artwork is beautiful as is the printing, I love the way they feel in my hands, and I love how they feel so "other" for lack of a better word.

I usually read TdM professionally, either Flornoy's Noblet deck or the Jodorowsky Camoin deck and I primarily use Jodorowsky's numerogically based system when dealing with the pip cards so reading any deck or even playing cards is not a problem. I know a lot of people feel that pictures on the pip cards help their intuition but for myself the opposite is true, I feel rail-roaded by the pictures. I think Enrique's poetic system has a lot of truth to it. Please realize, I am only speaking for myself here and my own experiences, but that being said, The Wooden Tarot was like being freed one more time, from an encumbrance I hadn't even realized was ever there. That being the traditional association of swords, cups, wands, and pentacles. True, they are there if you want to fall back on them, he has provided them, but in my free time this past week I have been loving contemplating what should be the association of bones, stones, blooms, and plumes.

Yep, I think it's pretty obvious I love this deck. It's so beautiful. It reminds me of my beloved Olympic Peninsula, hiking in the Ho rain forest, and camping with friends to wake up salt encrusted and bleary eyed trying to get a fire started to make coffee on the second beach of La Push. I just wish there were elephants large enough to have old growth Forests on their heads, and the idea that animals have their ajna open and aware shouldn't be that hard to grasp. As John Michael Greer has pointed out, the reason research into animal language has remained criminally underfunded is probably an unconscious fear of what they'd say to us if we could understand them.

In closing, I don't doubt for a second this deck will take a lot of work for the individual seer to tune and use. It comes with no LWB and no tradition. Much like Linda Falorio's Shadow Tarot it is completely alien and other in feeling, but where the Shadow Tarot has Falorio's own paperback book, Kenneth Grant's oeuvre, Crowley, HPL, and others, the only suggestion I can give for The Wooden Tarot may be Clive Barker's Imajica and the seer's own imagination. Because that's how this deck feels, like it comes from a land that overlaps, but is not wholly our own. I'd say if you want a deck that will delight your imagination and make you squeal like a 15 year old school girl (and like I said, this is coming from a 46 year old staunch traditionalist that absolutely loves Meditations on the Tarot and usually loathes Deck of the Week), this is a great deck. But it will take a lot of work to tune into a working deck for yourself. And please remember, this is just my own opinion, I am known to magpie frequently and am a bear of limited intelligence. ;-)

Electric Maenad

Got curious so I went to look.
Are you all talking about this wooden tarot that looks like wood https://www.etsy.com/listing/195942369/the-wooden-tarot-full-deck-in-stock
or this wooden tarot that seems to be MADE of wood ? https://www.etsy.com/listing/228236671/wooden-tarot-card-deck
Not sure made of wood is a good idea (not sure it's NOT a good idea either) :confused:

The first one. Although the second one looks interesting too.

The Wooden Tarot is absolutely gorgeous, and reads like the Delphic Oracle on a mushroom bender. You've pretty much got to disengage your left brain altogether and just read it straight up intuitively, because traditional tarot interpretations simply do not apply. Here be dragons.

That said, it's really good for getting in touch with the more primal side of your personality, and as mentioned before, it is stunningly beautiful.