Lo Scarabeo Mystical Tarot (Giuliano Costa)

EmpyreanKnight

Now I find myself torn. The Mystical has very evocative, highly symbolic images and because of that, the deck would lend itself well to deep study. I just wish that a companion book would later be published tho it would be really fun and informative to discuss it with the other members here.

On the other hand, I have set on an IDS of the Barbara Walker once it arrives. I guess I can dip on the Mystical from time to time, tho that would be pretty unsatisfying. One day tho

Barleywine

One interesting side note is that, when mine arrived, I had my daily draw spread laid out with the Gilded Tarot, and I noticed that the cards are almost of the same size and card stock, one with dark borders and one with bright borders, and both have a similar "period feel" to the images. I'm thinking they would be good together in two-deck spreads. In the meantime, I've begun using the Mystical for my daily draw.

greatdane

Throne for the Queen of Pents

Found that interesting. Some cards seem very traditional, others have unusual additions.

Oh, I also like the Baboon on the Wheel of Fortune :).

Nemia

I quite like the deck so far but I find the astrological hints on many cards confusing. There's a lot of Capricorn in the Pentacles... also in cards that GD associates with Taurus or Virgo.

I like the tiles on many cards. They make it easier to "combine" cards side by side, all the figures seem to stand on one stage. In the Renaissance, the construction of a perspective grid often resulted in tiled floors, so these tiles fit into the retro atmosphere. Especially since many cards use the traditional Dreiplan aerial perspective: brownish colors in the foreground closest to the viewer, green in the middle ground, and pale grey-blue in the background. That gives depth, and it's exactly what Bosch and other Flemish Renaissance and Mannerist painters did.

It's written everywhere that the artist painted with oil on wood panels... but to my eye, some cards look as though he used oil pastels. It's difficult to judge, maybe he used more than one technique. But there's a fuzzy or fluffy feeling about the gradients.

Most cards are very beautiful, for example Wheel of Fortune and Judgement. I have a problem with some of the faces - they look too contemporary, too modern, seem to wear make up. The women's ponytail hairstyles also stand out in some cards.... it's horrible to be so picky but I am :-( and I confess, the very transparent clothing is also a bit disturbing.

What I like: the concept, the borders, the eclectic madness, the nod to the Sola Busca, the ease with which cards connect , the Bosch-like surrealism, the Botticelli-like decorative elements, the colours.

I think this is a very interesting deck to work with in spite of my question marks. It fits beautifully into my faux-Renaissance sub-collection, and also into my all-that-glitters-and-is-gold subcollection.

NightVision

I want to love this deck but it won't let me. I get a negativity from it, which is odd for someone who owns many gothic decks and I don't normally mind darker imagery. I'm hoping it is just rather powerfully reflecting my own state of mind.

The eyes of the charioteer are so demonically black. The dancers in the three of cups seem to be ganging up on the dancer in the foreground. The lovers seem to be in the midst of an argument...

This is no slight to the artist, by the way. It's glorious artwork nonetheless.

Nemia

The Lovers are Adam and Eve in front of the Tree of Knowledge complete with serpent. She calls him, his resistance is just breaking down - he's lifting his hands towards hers so they can share the fruit. It's a very poignant moment. She moves, he's passive, but it's the serpent that made them do it... it underlines IMO the decision aspect of this card which is neglected in quite a number of decks. You always have the choice either to be obedient and remain ignorant, or to rebel against authority and carry the harsh consequences... or, if you wish to see it differently, to choose the right thing and be rewarded, or the wrong thing and be punished.

This deck goes further back than the Golden Dawn.

velvetina

Despite my very best intentions (and half-a-year of behaving myself) this deck has caused me to break my vow of No New Decks for 2017.*

My excuse unfolds like this - it was so quiet at the shop! So quiet in the village! And so hot. Such a hot, dreamy summer's afternoon and the Mystical Tarot had arrived in stock, and we always open one of the new decks to check it over and before you know it, I'm shuffling it and falling in love with it and then it ends up coming home with me and keeping me up late, because I can't stop looking at it.

It's gorgeous isn't it? Gorgeous and peculiar (my favourite combination). It's going to be my summer holiday deck I think. It actually reminds me of another favourite, Le Tarot Noir - the backs remind me of the 2 of Cups in Le Tarot Noir.

I love the cardstock, the colour palette, the 'traditional' arrangement of suits, major arcana, titles etc. It ticks all those boxes for me. The inclusion of odd little details suggest that it is a deck I'll enjoy exploring...for example, I've only just noticed the lion in The Hermit card, because when I was holding it, my thumb was over it! A detail like that invites all kind of reverie - is it to do with setting one's ego aside? is it anything to do with the fiery month of Leo ending and the more reflective month of Virgo arriving? Is the lion asleep? roaring? And so on and so on.

We should get a study group up and running!

(*Full disclosure: I took advantage of this day of falling from my intention to order the Pagan Otherworlds too! But I really am trying to buy no more new decks this year)

Le Fanu

You couldn't have bought two better decks. For me, those are the two decks that have made this year worthwhile in terms of tarot purchases

Virgo26

One interesting side note is that, when mine arrived, I had my daily draw spread laid out with the Gilded Tarot, and I noticed that the cards are almost of the same size and card stock, one with dark borders and one with bright borders, and both have a similar "period feel" to the images. I'm thinking they would be good together in two-deck spreads. In the meantime, I've begun using the Mystical for my daily draw.

Now that you've had the deck for a bit, notice anything with the daily draws? ie have they been very literal or otherwise? Not necessarily for the daily draws but in other readings for myself, I often draw multiple majors.

EmpyreanKnight

I finally got the Mystical just a few days ago and yup, it's a striking beauty that is nonetheless deliciously unsettling. Utterly utterly gorgeous, it is one of the more triumphant releases in recent memory. It is a beguiling and mysterious deck that just begs to be studied.