The Gravenchase Lenormand

blue_fusion

EDITED TO ADD:

The deck is finished and has substantially changed artistic direction since its inception that I feel the need to edit this initial post to show how the deck ended up looking. The deck even ended up with a free Zodiac Oracle to boot! :D I have retained the original text content at the bottom of this post.

GRAVENCHASE%20AECLECTIC.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

Gravenchase is the working title of the deck (from graven and chased - a reference to the rustic woodcut look of the images).

I just finished creating the Tarocchi di Marcelo Inciso, and some of the energy from it has extended to other projects (this and a playing card deck done in the same style). I'm still getting used to Lenormand - in terms of meanings and imagery. Will still make some small changes to the cards, maybe make the clover bigger.

I do hope the Marseille influence in the images is noticeable. :)

Also, I'm using numerals instead of numbers for their Lenormand sequence, to differentiate this from the numbers in their playing card counterpart.

I'm leaning towards cards with borders at the moment, but I'd like to know what you guys think. :)

Attached are bordered and borderless samples of the Rider and Clover cards.

Attachments

• GRAVENCHASE.jpg
    GRAVENCHASE.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,171

blue_fusion

And I forgot to add: does this look like a workable style?

MoonGypsy

And I forgot to add: does this look like a workable style?

Hi Ly! The art is gorgeous, of course...

but i honestly think it might very difficult to read in a Grand Tableau.

But again, the ART is completely gorgeous--i must emphasize.

Just don't know if it would be workable in large spreads...[At least for my eyes]

Does anyone else have an honest and practical opinion?

blue_fusion

Hi Ly! The art is gorgeous, of course...
but i think it would very hard to read in a Grand Tableau.

Should I lessen the textures and details? These are working images after all and still subject to change. I'm still adjusting to the change in perspective from tarot to Lennies. :D

MoonGypsy

Should I lessen the textures and details? These are working images after all and still subject to change. I'm still adjusting to the change in perspective from tarot to Lennies. :D

i would say probably so...as too many fussy details are usually very challenging
to most Lennie readers.

In a spread, Lennie Reader needs to be able to tell at first glance what image it is...
Totally different from Tarot...

i had another crazy idea...perhaps adding a contrasting color to make a greater emphasis
of the image depicted. i am not sure if i am making myself clear...
Color just the Clover; Just the Rider; Just the House; Just the Ship; Just the Ring; etc.

i think that might be quite interesting...

Not sure how that would work, but it might be a way to still keep the style it is now.
And of course, if you are set on keep it more monochromatic, i understand...as it is
your baby. You are the artist. :love: And it will be quite exciting to see how this
deck progresses, as i love your art so much. :heart:

Bottom Line: Whatever you decide to do, something needs to be done to make
the Lenormand image depicted POP out. Whether it is adding color to the image or
lessening the background details...something...

blue_fusion

i would say probably so...as too many fussy details are usually very challenging
to most Lennie readers.

A Lennie Reader needs to be able to tell at first glance what image it is...
Totally different from Tarot...

i had another crazy idea...perhaps adding a contrasting color to make a greater emphasis
of the image depicted. i am not sure if i am making myself clear...
Color just the Clover; Just the Rider; Just the House; Just the Ship; Just the Ring; etc.

i think that might be quite interesting...

Not sure how that would work, but it might be a way to still keep the style it is now.
And of course, if you are set on keep it more monochromatic, i understand...as it is
your baby. You are the artist. :love:

thanks for the inputs and suggestions. Yes I want it done in monochrome but I think I can work on something like your "color highlight" suggestion - I'll maybe outline the important details/silhouettes with colors within the color scheme (like, off the top of my head, making the clover shape more defined by "staining" it with yellow), and lessen some of the details and textures.

Again, thank you so much! Your inputs have given me more perspective about this project! :)

MoonGypsy

thanks for the inputs and suggestions. Yes I want it done in monochrome but I think I can work on something like your "color highlight" suggestion - I'll maybe outline the important details/silhouettes with colors within the color scheme (like, off the top of my head, making the clover shape more defined by "staining" it with yellow), and lessen some of the details and textures.

Again, thank you so much! Your inputs have given me more perspective about this project! :)
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, my friend! :) i am greatly enthused
to watch this deck unfold in all its Lennie Glory! :D May your Muse guide you at every step.
i am glad i could help a wee bit...

blue_fusion

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, my friend! :) i am greatly enthused
to watch this deck unfold in all its Lennie Glory! :D May your Muse guide you at every step.
i am glad i could help a wee bit...

I forgot to ask: what do you think of using numerals instead of numbers for their Lenormand sequence, as well as the text and numbering arrangement?

MoonGypsy

I forgot to ask: what do you think of using numerals instead of numbers for their Lenormand sequence, as well as the text and numbering arrangement?

Numbers would be easier and quicker to read than Roman Numerals...IMHO.
But the numerals would be more traditional with the Marseille influence.
But i still say Numbers would be my choice for ease of reading quickly.

Padma

Blue Fusion, your art work is indeed fabulous! But MoonGypsy gave you some fantastic and absolutely correct advice. The Lennies, when laid out in an entire spread, need to have the card symbol immediately pop out from the background, or it is very difficult to look at and read smoothly and fluently!

I have some busier decks, and can only use them for three card dailies...when they are grouped together, as a whole, I am completely lost in visual stimuli!

I would also say that though the Roman numerals suit your style beautifully, many of us have a hard time making the leap from tarot to Lenormand, which is completely different as a reading system...the Roman numerals are very reminiscent of tarot, and may hold the reader's mind in the tarot zone...I don't know, just a personal observation.

But in the end, as MoonGypsy so accurately noted - it is your creation, your art, and while it is good to get suggestions, you have to weigh that against your personal "art boundaries" - you don't want to lose your initial drive and creative idea in a wash of opinions (all of which are likely to differ, in any case!)

You have a great idea there - and amazingly talented art to match :thumbsup: I wish you all the pleasure and luck of creating your deck!