Crowley & Fortune book

Aeon418

I've just finished reading this book. I wasn't thrilled with it, though it wasn't horrid either.
That just made think of Revelation 3:16. Quite apt really. :laugh:
It has sparked some interest in me to find out more about Fortune and again try to read one of her novels.
I found Fortunes novels a bit lukewarm too. The Goat-foot god could have done with a bit more of the horned beast in my opinion. }) It was more like Pan meets Mills & Boon.

I couldn't even finish, The Demon Lover. And I tried! :bugeyed: Fortune's characterisation is absolutely atrocious. It's like watching an old black & white movie with typically wooden and stilted acting. Fortune's characterisation of men is particularly cringeworthy.

The Sea Priestess is thought to be Fortune's best novel. I'm not sure why though. Although I reckon it gives you a real insight into Fortune's reputedly dominnering character.

Grigori

I have Sea Priestess, which I started to read before but abandoned quickly. I've started again tonight, and abandoned just as soon. I guess Fortune is just not for me. Maybe I'll check out one of her technical books instead. I can spit it out again if it's only lukewarm :)

fyreflye

Fortune had no talent for fiction and little talent for fact. Her student Gareth Knight is a better choice for fact. Fiction written to teach you something is almost always a bore.