The Book of the Law Study Group 2.70

by zero

What are the eight and ninety rules of art?

Well, I didn't know, and wanted to ask here.

But while I created this post, I looked up 98 in sepher sephiroth and there was חצ, arrow, which is present in ATU XIV - art. I think it might have played a role in the design of this trump. Since our beloved not-the-star-צ is in final position in this word, it actually should be ץ with a value of 900, but no unusual change to make it fit.
It made me look what else was there, though, and I found the equally straightforward צח: white, in my Hebrew dictionary also: clear, pure.

If I put these two together, for me it brings up once again the idea of one-pointedness, seemingly contradicting 98 rules:
There is only being, which creates the art with all subtleties you wish, because they are the fabric of the one-pointedness.

Grigori

Interesting for the great beast to tell us to not be too animal eh? :D

I see this line as rebuttal for cries of hedonism for its own sake. I was listening to a podcast yesterday talking about ideas on drug use in Thelemic circles. And how drugs are used in society at large as a way to escape, or a distraction. Sex used much the same way, ditto to rock and roll.

The Thelemic idea as I understand it is that all things are permitted in so much as they are not a distraction, but rather an aide to self knowledge or the great work. So in fact these things may be a "sin" if allowed or used to distract yourself, but if used under directed Will are not so.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
Interesting for the great beast to tell us to not be too animal eh?
Ah, but there are beasts and then there are Beasts. There is a universe of difference between To Mega Therion - The Great Beast of Chokmah and an animal. Or even the Beast 666 crowned with the sun in Tiphareth.

Aeon418

Help and hope in other spells would seem to indicate that there is more than one way to invoke the Angel. But common to them all is Strength - Oz(70). :royal: It's no good pulling back the bowstring of QShT only to succumb to animal pleasure and release the tension too early. Your arrows fall short (sin) of the mark and miss Tiphareth. :arrow:

Refine thy rapture? The animal self instinctively seeks immediate gratification of desires. The thought of increasing the tension through delay is completely alien to it. It's like a little brat in a supermarket checkout line, screaming and bawling for chocolate right now!!! :mad:
An animal drinks to get drunk as quickly as possible. Love making? More like rutting. And usually with no thought of "ladies first" either. ;) Joy? As long as it's quick, crass, loud, and crude, who cares? If it makes you feel good quickly, for a little while you can forget the sad reality of your existence. Just escape... forget... run away... for a little while.

See where this is going? It's almost a comment on modern life.