dummies guide to the thoth tarot

Minotauro

thats a book I would get bcause even though Im getting the thoth tarot and the libr t. of stars eternal tarot I dont know a single thing about kabalah , and I dont even know the exact days my astrological sign starts and ends! XD

so wich book would be adviseabel for someone like me?
to learn all of that while learning the tarot meanings as well

Im pretty sure I've heard the book of thoth is meant for people who have some previous knolwdge of at least this topics , I was inclined to buy the mirror of the soul book , but Im not sure it is any better in that regard
there are just too many books and many of them are great , but im a tottal noobie

or should I just start studying astrology and kabalah in order to understand the symbolism BEFORE buying those decks? I really dont wanna wait that much sighs... U.u

graspee

If you want to actually understand the Thoth tarot rather than just use the deck for divination without really knowing what it means then I would suggest the Lon Milo DuQuette book "Understanding the Thoth Tarot".

Minotauro

Yes!

YES! thats exactly what I want , I wnat a book that teaches me about those things , without assuming I alredy do s:

dies the mirror of the sould just tells you the meanings without telling you about the symbolism ?

Grigori

Don't get "Mirror" it will just tell you the meaning that author invented. Duquette's book that graspee recommends is the best place to start, its not so much about the meanings, its about how the deck works, why it's that way and how to find the meanings yourself. That would be my bet :thumbsup:

Minotauro

really????
D:
damn I had my hopes in that one , I read the review about the suggested book, and somethings worried me about it... BUT its the one everybody think I should star with , folowed by thoth tarot compnion by whatsitsname , and then perhbaps finnaly ._: the book of thoth...
D: seems like a long journey but I so know that it will be worth it <3

nicky

The Book of Thoth is of course the book to read - AC should know his deck.
If you don't want to read Uncle Al then the next best bet would be Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette which is very good.

Minotauro

I want to read the book of thoth , bu in the words of Lady Frieda Harris in a letter to Aleister Crowley ; In reference to your books - I suppose you know that most of them would be easier for a beginner written in Sanscrit and that anyone reading them would go off their heads.

I am SO not ready for that XD haha I need to learn the basics before going against that one XD lol

OH I should also mention english is my second language so...

nicky

I know The Bot ihas been translated into many languages but I bet Lon's is as well.

Emily

Which deck will you get first? Liber T or Thoth? Liber T can easily be used with Thoth books so I'd also recommend Duquette's book but I'm also reading through The Book of Thoth, although it's still not an easy read LOL.

Minotauro

I know The Bot ihas been translated into many languages but I bet Lon's is as well.

I actually have seen the copy of the bot , but not the other one. there really arent all that many tarot decks around , let alone books lol butI'll search it on ebay or amazon or , well soemnthing because thats the one I think Im gonna get but even if it is in english , the reviews say its kinda light and funny and doenst have complicated lingo, we'll se :)