Advice on yoga?

Craxiette

Sitting in physically challenging positions for a predetermined time can be used to strengthen the will (not Will ;)). The more difficult the position, the greater the tempation to give up before the alloted time has elapsed.

I'm not saying this is always the best way to meditate. I'm just pointing out a beneficial aspect that is easy to overlook.

Indeed! But only as long as it doesn't become a distraction too great to overcome, or too great so that the 'will' becomes the goal rather than the 'Will'. Everyone has to work out that balance for themselves...for the moment, personally I'm happy with my half-way-combo in which I am gradually getting my toes to accept being curled up...they are slooowly starting to accept the tough love being imposed on them ;)

Btw, my birthday is coming up soon so I treated myself to a copy of Duquette (Understanding AC's thoth tarot). I read through the introductory 11 chapters...it really IS the "idiots guide to the thoth tarot"; But what a splendid one! After jumping straight in the deep end of the pool, starting with the Book of Thoth and Google, Duquettes easy read felt like a hot cup of tea after a long day outdoors in the snow. All the important concepts summarized in plain english, and this time even I get the jokes! :laugh: A good buy!

Aeon418

Indeed! But only as long as it doesn't become a distraction too great to overcome, or too great so that the 'will' becomes the goal rather than the 'Will'.
A strong will is needed to overcome distractions so that you can do your Will.

Craxiette

A strong will is needed to overcome distractions so that you can do your Will.

Yes.
Was I contradicting that? :surprise: Or were you just clarifying what I said? :)

Aeon418

Yes.
Was I contradicting that? :surprise: Or were you just clarifying what I said? :)
It's hard to tell. :laugh:

Although I should probably clarify that the will (lower case w) that can be strengthened is what is normally called will power, self control, self discipline, etc. It's gaining the ability to do something because you choose to do it, or not as the case may be.

How can you follow the True Will if you don't have the strength of will (self control) to actually choose to follow it.

Craxiette

It's hard to tell. :laugh:

Although I should probably clarify that the will (lower case w) that can be strengthened is what is normally called will power, self control, self discipline, etc. It's gaining the ability to do something because you choose to do it, or not as the case may be.

How can you follow the True Will if you don't have the strength of will (self control) to actually choose to follow it.

You can't, of course.
All I was (trying to) say is that 'the right amount' of challenge is better than too much... if you make your ambitions too high too soon, there is the risk of a) injuring yourself, and b) giving it up because it is too hard. As simple as that...

Edit: Oh, and also the point about distraction. Not to let the will (lower case w) game become an ego-aggrandisation scheme, rather than a tool for the greater purpose of doing one's Will.

Craxiette

Ergo...avoid black magick. Do it all unto Nuit... :)

Aeon418

All I was (trying to) say is that 'the right amount' of challenge is better than too much... if you make your ambitions too high too soon, there is the risk of a) injuring yourself, and b) giving it up because it is too hard. As simple as that...
Of course! There no point setting yourself up for failure. Where would Milo of Croton have got if he had started off with a full grown bull?

Craxiette

Of course! There no point setting yourself up for failure. Where would Milo of Croton have got if he had started off with a full grown bull?

Milo...who?? -Is what I would have said... ;)

I felt inertia creeping up on me this morning during my meditation. My feet really hurt, I was off balance and I couldn't concentrate at all. My left nostril was blocked and it wouldn't open despite 10min of kriya and (attempted) alternate nostril breathing. Eck! Just one of those bad days, when everything feels just pointless, together with the painful recognition of what a complete slave under confusion I am. It reminded me of a horrible dream I had about half a year ago, when I was "supposed" to be intimate with some guy, and when he takes off his clothes he has lots of small, limp and mis-shaped...phalli all over his body. They were like little, sleepy snakes that threatened to bite me, if only they had the power, but since they were so many, none of them got enough focused power to do so. I was so grossed out when I woke up. This morning, I felt like that guy...bleh!

I just wanted to mention this, in case anyone reading this thread is under the impression that I'm getting along just nice and dandy...:laugh:

But hey, if it wasn't for the hard bits -I would have done it all already, right? :p