The Book of The Law Study Group 3.38

Aeon418

Besides the point that "Bes" and "Maat" are female names.
Bes is a male deity. He is a little dwarf god that became part of the Egyptian pantheon during the 12th dynasty. He is thought to have originated in Sudan.

Craxiette

Bes is a male deity. He is a little dwarf god that became part of the Egyptian pantheon during the 12th dynasty. He is thought to have originated in Sudan.

Sure :)
But Bes sounds like Bess. Just as Maut sounds like Maat... unless Bes is supposed be pronounced "Bees" and Maut "Maa-uut"?

Aeon418

But Bes sounds like Bess. Just as Maut sounds like Maat... unless Bes is supposed be pronounced "Bees" and Maut "Maa-uut"?
Here's his wiki entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bes

I think it's interesting that Hadit's representative in the manifest trinity should be linked to a little dwarf god.

The Maat connection: at the end of the wiki piece it says Bes has an ostrich feather in his iconography.

ravenest

Bit of trivia. An old teacher of mine suggested that I supplement Resh with the verses from Crowley's poem, The Five Adorations, found in The Equinox vol.1 no.2.
http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/i/ii/eqi02013.html
He swore by them, but I never bothered with it beyond a handful of occasions. :laugh:
Jeeze! I havent encountered them for years.
I used to love doing them - dont know why. I always wanted to do them from the top of a tower (in a 'liberal' country ;) )

ravenest

Interesting! I know it just means "god is great", but saying "Allahu Akhbar"...no thanks, not for me -I'll rather stick to the good old miss Bes na Maat and her tech-no mate :laugh:

:laugh: so they dont sound too bad now? I think a lot of these old names are compilations of the forces / gods (or even crafts) and parentage the individual chooses or inherits. One can end up with some strange sounding combinations; I would be some type of raven yumbar crab goat gungali horus maat nuit :laugh:

Craxiette

:laugh: so they dont sound too bad now? I think a lot of these old names are compilations of the forces / gods (or even crafts) and parentage the individual chooses or inherits. One can end up with some strange sounding combinations; I would be some type of raven yumbar crab goat gungali horus maat nuit :laugh:

Yup, it's all relative isn't it ;)
A year ago I would have thought the same about Nuit and Hadit -"hey, why would I be adoring these funky egyptians??" In fact I'd still have a hard time explaining it to an outsider. I "blame" the tarot for connecting me to these symbols on a subtle level, they've sort of sneaked in gradually as I've contemplated the imagery. :D "Bessy" and "Necky" don't appear in the tarot (unless they are seen as equivalents of Therion and Babalon or the pillars) which is probably why they feel so "alien" to me.

"Allahu Akhbar" on the other hand to me is a very strong symbol of religious fundamentalism, on an emotional level. Whenever I hear those words I cringe, due to all the awful associations I have with it. Intellectually I know that's not really "fair", so maybe it would actually do me some good to confront it and try to "rewire" my associations? I suppose it's the same reaction conservative christians get when they hear the word "devil"...an emotional trash can expression that gets to represent a whole bunch of things they just don't like.

Tricky bastards, these minds of ours! :p