Lust of result?

perdurabofan

I've seen a number of references in
Crowley's writings about "lust of result."
Is lust of result the same as pushing
so hard that a contra-veiling force
causes the opposite to happen?

Maskelyne

I am doing what I am doing because it's the right thing for me to be doing now. Though it is done with the intention of effecting some future result, being emotionally attached to that result would sap energy from the here and now and distract me from my purpose. I think that's the "lust of result" that Crowley is warning against.

Barleywine

I never considered it as being all that deep. Coupled with "unassuaged of purpose," it just means do something because it is truly your Will to do it and not because you have a concrete objective in mind or desire ("lust for") any particular outcome. It's simply more poetic than a number of other ways he (or his channeled source) might have phrased it. Just my opinion, of course.

Zephyros

I disagree, I think there is something deep in there, although I must admit, I have no idea what it is! However, since the very essence of Thelema is Do What Thou Wilt etc. and Love is the Law, Love Under will, I suspect this has something to do with it. Perhaps whatever you do, do it not because it is your false desire, but because it is your True Will to do so. Just as the Lust card in a way embodies these mottos, I think this is connected to them.

Remember that Crowley in many cases used words that meant traditionally one thing, but he purged them of their negative connotations and gave them new and better ones. I suspect Lust is one of them; also Whore and Beast, and of course, Devil.

Can you find a specific reference?

Zephyros

I was wrong, I found the term. I ws right about the will part, but on the wrong track.

The sign of Capricornus is rough, harsh, dark, even blind. The impulse to create takes no account of reason, custom or foresight. It is divinely unscrupulous, sublimely careless of result. "Thou hast no right but to do thy will, do that and none shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result is in every way perfect"

This is an interesting Thelemic concept, and hard for me to wrap my head around; True Will, but not directed at any tangible result, or result at all. I understand it "emotionally" but can't really put it into words. I suspect it means that True Will has nothing to do with what you want, but with what you are.

The passage quoted is of course from the BoT passage about the Devil.

perdurabofan

I was wrong, I found the term. I ws right about the will part, but on the wrong track.

This is an interesting Thelemic concept, and hard for me to wrap my head around; True Will, but not directed at any tangible result, or result at all. I understand it "emotionally" but can't really put it into words. I suspect it means that True Will has nothing to do with what you want, but with what you are.

Thank You, everyone for your replies. Just figuring
out what one's True Will is seems daunting enough
but expressing it without purpose is like trying to
imagine "nothingness" when the imagining of it
is a something. Maybe it's something about
the Fool and how all roads lead back to him.
I always believed it to be an important
idea and I'm just not getting it.

Barleywine

Which is in turn quoted from Liber Al vel Legis (I, 42-4). For me, this has always been one of the core principles of Thelema as embodied in the Book of the Law, and it perfectly refutes those who say that Crowley was simply glorifying (even though he might have been outwardly living) an immoral, hedonistic, self-indulgent lifestyle. The thrust of it seems to be that one who functions in accord with the True Will need no longer be bound to the wheel of cause-and-effect, of which "purpose" and "result" are two nuances. This I see as the gist of the following passage:

"Now a curse upon Because and his kin! May Because be accursed for ever! If Will stops and cries Why, invoking Because, then Will stops & does nought . . . Enough of Because! Be he damned for a dog!"

Elsewhere (and I can't lay my hands on the exact quote, so I'll wing it :)) Crowley said "Magick is the Science and Art of causing change to occur in conformity to Will." No mention of any intermediary "purpose" or "result" other than the efficacy of the Will in working its way upon the fabric of the Universe.

perdurabofan

Thank You for posting that. It's starting to make
a bit more sense to me. :)

Georgina

Georgina

Hi
sorry for the pun but
it isnt making any sense to me

i think i need to read the book

what book is it

regards

Georgina